Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Bass Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2022, 12:18 PM   #1
Revoguys

Freshwater set up

Hello fellow BWE members,

Looking to get into freshwater more, grew up fishing the saltwater and I’ve tried past few years on and off to try the freshwater side. I’m thinking my gear and set up are all wrong and trying to get a better perspective from experienced anglers here in SD. What can you recommend for a rod and reel combo to fish the shore from SD Lakes. Gonna be fishing santee and lake Murray, maybe down in Otay as well. I have a small skiff and what would you recommend for rod/reel combo from a skiff or kayak? Baitcaster, spinner doesn’t matter just wondering what you guys use and what I should start with as a beginner. Also line weight as well. I use 2 pound for trout and 10 for bass. Using braid for bass with fluoro leader and straight Mono for trout. Not much success tho. Thank you guys in advance.
Revoguys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 06:41 AM   #2
TightLine
Junior

I do freshwater fishing being in the Toronto area. I used a Fenwick Eagle GT medium action rod for over 15 years for my primary rod. Spinning rod with a shimano reel. I mainly used it for bass and walleye fishing but also for spring yellow perch and crappy. On few occasions, I did salmon and big ass carp with that rod too. It was hard to land those salmons and carps with that rod, but I managed to land a few of them also.

Long story short, if you are just doing lake fishing less than 10 lb, a medium 6" rod that is lightweight will do. From skiff, I would suggest baitcaster as it would be way easier to cast.
TightLine is offline   Reply With Quote