Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
Daltontribe
Surf Launch Roll Tester

Lowrance Elite 4x DSI

Does anyone have one of these on their kayak? How are your transducer mounted, shoot through? rudder mounted? or.....? Is the DSI really that special?
Im looking to get one soon, and getting the one with the combo finder/gps worth the extra $150?

Daniel
Daltontribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
PapaDave

Not sure about the difference between the regular and the DSI, but you will definately want the GPS version. It will store locations so you can easily return to them later without having to hunt for them. Probably more important then the DSI, you might come out even as to expense going for the Elite-5.

I think the kayak shops have scupper mount adapters for the Lowrance line of transducers also if you are worried about where to mount them.
PapaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:42 AM   #3
Yakin

What i have been told is don't go with the dsi because of the need to have it in the water I havr posted several threads about this very subject
Old 05-17-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
Useful Idiot

The DSI can also shoot through the hull, just like the regular transducers. We consulted Lowrance and have installed/tested a few now. No prob.

DSI is awesome. Takes a lot of the interpretation out of reading a fishfinder, almost a photographic image of the structure.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
Yakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useful Idiot View Post
The DSI can also shoot through the hull, just like the regular transducers. We consulted Lowrance and have installed/tested a few now. No prob.

DSI is awesome. Takes a lot of the interpretation out of reading a fishfinder, almost a photographic image of the structure.
So when did this change?
Old 10-12-2012, 07:15 AM   #6
OutdoorAdvntr

hi, i want to resurrect this thread because i have a question in regards with the elite 4x dsi.. i have been reading reviews about this ff and alot of yakers are saying that you need to be constantly moving to get the dsi working? is this true??

thanks a lot!
OutdoorAdvntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:31 AM   #7
roadx

yes
dsi is a thin wide beam, moving gives you more slices and a complete picture. it doesnt take much movement though.

Quote:
So when did this change?
dsi is no problem through hull but i prefer in water, side scan wont work through hull and never has.

Last edited by roadx; 10-12-2012 at 07:36 AM.
roadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:23 AM   #8
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDave View Post
Not sure about the difference between the regular and the DSI, but you will definately want the GPS version. It will store locations so you can easily return to them later without having to hunt for them. Probably more important then the DSI, you might come out even as to expense going for the Elite-5.

I think the kayak shops have scupper mount adapters for the Lowrance line of transducers also if you are worried about where to mount them.
GPS is a must. Ask most of the guys that don't have it and most if not all will tell you they regret not paying the extra $$ for the GPS feature.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:41 AM   #9
Dirty Curti

Myself and my son both have this unit on our yaks. Mine is a through hull mount and my sons is mounted outside on the bottom of the hull. We have compared side by side and we don't notice any difference other than temperature. Mine shows a two degree difference at times. Slight movement keeps an accurate reading.

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #10
lightsidejedi
Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Curti View Post
Myself and my son both have this unit on our yaks. Mine is a through hull mount and my sons is mounted outside on the bottom of the hull. We have compared side by side and we don't notice any difference other than temperature. Mine shows a two degree difference at times. Slight movement keeps an accurate reading.
What a relief I just bought this FF before reading that must be on the water all the time.. I´ll give a try first thru-the-hull hope it works fine like yours.

Dirty Curti, How do you installed yours?.. epoxic, marine goop?
lightsidejedi is offline   Reply With Quote