Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2016, 12:03 PM   #1
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Lets talk about Structure Scan HD...

I am going to give my Pros and Cons.... and anyone who has one I would like your opinion also...

its running on 800khz, and on a separate 12v 9amp battery

it is able to detect big rocks and big large things fairly easy....

As I was trying to make bait, I would see Bait balls on the structure scan that I was not able to see on the Sonar or the down scan. I was able to make bait thanks to the structure scan more easier than just trying to follow a narrow line. If I saw some to the right I made a quick turn and dropped my line and made some bait. If I got there on time before the bait moved too far...

My eyes were practically glued to the thing..... But my hds 5 was way too small to see all the information I wanted.....

I had to flip through different pages to make sure I was still on track to my destination and flipped back to get a full screen on the structure scan....

I finally tried it on the Marina Del Rey artificial reef, and I was not very impressed.... it was very dark on the very sides of the screen at about 60ft... of water and I had the structure scan on about 100ft of viewing.... I could not really tell that there was a reef down there on the structure scan....

The down Scan imaging, wow that is an A+ all by itself. I ran into a bubble column, and you could actually tell they were bubbles instead of just erratic trash on the sonar. the reef gave me good reading on the down scan and was able to spot fish.

I went out on Saturday on 2.5ft 6 sec swell.... super choppy when the wind picked up and made the structure scan useless.... To much water movement on my kayak to get a solid view on the screen while use the structure scan transducer...Went in early.....

Pros:

You can get a wider angle to be able to view BIG Structure
Able to see Bait that is not on your current trajectory
Way too much information that what I am normally use to.

Cons:
HDS is way too small, you need like a screen all by itself to look at the structure scan.. Like the HDS 9 or HDS 12...
Had trouble trying to figure out what some thing were on the structure scan... I am going to blame it on the small HDS screen....

Next time I will try recording the structure scan... and go over it later...(wishful thinking) :rollseyes:

I want to know what size screen you have If you are using structure scan, and do you wish you had bigger screen?

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:18 PM   #2
Dannowar

Elite 7ti. Has the multi scan transducer. Parked off the coronados the other day and it was like watching a fish reality show. Bigger screen definitely helps. The elite series now is pretty much the old hds series