Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 07-22-2019, 07:38 AM   #1
Beer Me
Take two

Feel Like Giving Up

Good morning everyone. I’ve had my PA14 since April. I’ve taken it out about once every 3 weeks or so depending on schedule and conditions.

Besides being on a cattle boat or surf fishing, I have zero experience on a kayak fishing in saltwater.

I mainly go out of Channel Islands harbor, go to the break wall and beyond, head south to Hueneme and north to Ventura. My fish total on the kayak is a small mac I called bait, and lucked out on a short halibut trolling a HUB.

I’ve had bites but noncommittal fish. I’ve changed baits, techniques (if that’s what you call it) but I can’t get fish. The reports are there, and I’m following other fishermen on apps to see what’s happening.

I fish alone and have nobody to go out and show me the ropes, what works and or just get together and talk. Roscoe and I almost met up once but it didn’t work out.

I hit the water yesterday at 6:30 and hit both sides of the break wall outside the harbor then pedaled south past Hueneme and almost to Point Magu, headed back and repeated the process. It was a lot of work for a 50 yo but just being on the water makes it worth it.

After I got home and finished cleaning and watering everything down, the doubts hit me again whether I should keep doing this or go back to shore fishing.

It’s a tough sport to learn from reading reports and techniques from YouTube.

I’d like to try other spots to launch but the PA14 is too much for me to get over rocks at or local spots (Mussel Shoals/Rincon Island as well as Leo Carrillo. Maybe a secondary yak that’s lighter for this reason? That still won’t catch me fish.

Are there any individuals who would allow me to come down from Camarillo and fish for a day? I’ll get a room if necessary the night before. I just need hands on and face to face interaction.

Any help is appreciated. The frustration and disappointment is overriding the zen of being on the water.

I’m not afraid of launching/landing from the beach if necessary.

Lance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beer Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:56 AM   #2
ctfphoto

Time on the water, you will get there.

It took me two years on the water before I caught my first yellowtail.

Boy was it worth it as catching a big game fish on a kayak out in the open ocean is one of the biggest rushes you can get in life.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:05 AM   #3
jruiz
Large Member

BWE is mostly a San Diego based kayak fishing forum. You'll get some OC and LA guys here and there. Ventura county folks are few and far between. I would look into

https://centralcoastkayakfishing.com/

Even if you don't get connected with folks up there the launch spots for rockfish are accessible with a PA and the rate of success is higher than some of the spots you mentioned.

Then once you build your confidence up you can try your local waters again.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:13 AM   #4
Hunters Pa

Hard part is I think most of the action on this board is much further south - LA County to San Diego county. There used to be a board that had more action in the Malibu and ventura areas.

Stay active here, but you may also want to look at Central Coast Kayak Fishing for potential meet ups.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:05 AM   #5
jrip
Water dog

Try Fishing Points for fish activity, trolling records etc. The app. is free or go pro for $4.00 a year.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk
jrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:32 AM   #6
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Is anyone else catching fish from kayaks in that area?
Old 07-22-2019, 12:25 PM   #7
tak100
Recruit

I certainly don't know the area up there but I would like to change your perspective. The same techniques that worked as a shore fisherman or on a party boat will work on a kayak.

If you know a location really well that you shore fished and can get there by kayak that would be a great place to start. At least you will have an idea of what worked where. Then with the greater mobility of your kayak you can expand out from that location with confidence.

If you are interested in catching fish but not necessarily putting food on the table you are welcome to come down to Cabrillo Beach in San Pedro and I will put you on some bass. I personally won't eat anything I catch that close to the harbor but there are lots of fish there.
tak100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:42 PM   #8
cris

Try fishing a dropper loop with a 2-4oz sinker, and a #1 hook off a 4” loop about 12” off the bottom, baited with a squid strip just big enough to cover the hook. Drop it to the bottom and maintain tension so you can feel the nibbles. When you tire of the small fish you can start fishing bigger strips or whole squid or sardine which will reduce the number of bites but produce better quality.
cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 01:39 PM   #9
domtesta27

dont give up!!!!

Hey Beer Me, I'm a local Ventura kayak fisher who does a lot of traveling and i have a few small pieces of advice that i think will help tremendously with your frustrations.....

1. stop fishing the C.I.H. breakwall, unless its el nino, there is nothing going on there other than small mackerel and the occasional short calico or sand bass trust me i spend several years on a float tube with a fly rod working that wall every other weekend.

2. see about "downgrading" to a slightly smaller kayak, especially if surf launches are challenging for you. the PA 14 is a barge, plain and simple, its stable and wide but super slow trying to break through the surf. If you can downgrade to a PA 12 or an Outback you will have a much easier time punching through surf (btw I love you SD guys but La jolla doesn't compare to county line or the other spots we launch into here. Our surf is very unforgiving and will kick your ass. Again love you guys.....)

3. Go to Malibu! its only 20 or 30 minutes away and you have a plethora of good spots to fish for both rockfish/bass as well as sport fish like Yellowtail and WSB. go through this forum and look at reports from past years. County line, Leo Carillo, Deer Creek, and BKR are all great spots to launch from and head to the kelp beds or rock piles for fish. Also talk to other kayak fisherman on the beach before you launch! This is how i met most of the group on here. Everyone is really friendly and will probably offer to let you tag along for the day of fishing! its not a guarantee but your odds of having a good day are way higher than fishing out of the harbor!

Good luck and tight lines!!!!

Last edited by domtesta27; 07-22-2019 at 01:58 PM.
domtesta27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 01:56 PM   #10
skrilla

You at least have a fish finder or know any places with structure?
Old 07-22-2019, 06:59 PM   #11
DanaPT

Quitters suck!
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:39 PM   #12
Quansters
Junior

Shallow harbors are easier to fish without fish finder because i’s shallow and sometimes structure is visible. However, once you go out to open water, it can be hard to fish without fish finder. Kelp mostly don’t show up all the way to the surface and you can go pass great kelp beds without knowing as well without a fish finder.
Quansters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 05:54 AM   #13
Cronus
Cheat to win

I get it dude, the break wall at CIH is very slow most times. I see a lot of guys just doing a hali drift along the wall on the inside but that is slow most days as well. I have done it a couple of times but not gotten a bite. You will see the guys standing on the break wall catching more than anyone else, its funny. I am on a Feelfree Lure 13.5 and it is a heavy ass barge as well. I do use a small trolling motor on it when I go from the harbor and just cruise around trolling a lot. I just picked up some new techniques while fishing out of Leo with luck but it was an amazing day and an empty hook probably would have caught something. I didnt catch anything until my 4th trip on my kayak and that was rough because I kill it in trout fishing.

I have fished with Roscoe a few times and enjoy his company when we go out. We have shared bait and stories but have never had too much action on those days. I think most people have stopped posting of when they are going as a lot of people dont show up who say they will. But for me, I usually always fish alone so if people show or not its not a problem. I guess I should post more of when I plan to go so us Ventura peeps can group up better. I am a bit of a salt water rookie but just love being on the water.

And the key to Leo is a good sand cart. I used to have one with wide plastic wheels and it was like pulling a plow across the beach fighting for every inch. I almost gave up all together. I bought some wheeleez and made my own kart and I can now pull it with one hand and not much effort. Most of the other good spots I cannot attempt due to the weight of my kayak. I was thinking of getting an old used light one for those days but havent yet, not much room for two kayaks at home. You also should not attempt Leo if it shows anything much over 2 feet surf. I will go from the harbor before getting my ass pounded on the rocks there.

I live in Simi but work in Oxnard, Haas, wouldnt mind some after work fishing in these warm summer afternoons if anyone is interested. This weekend does not look the best for fishing, waves are looking bigger than I like at Leo. So far I have only fished Leo, CIH, Ventura Harbor, and Rincon Island once with Roscoe. He had to help me get my yak over the rocks for launch, could not do that alone.

If I see someone is posting a local spot for me I always try to go. I am doing a boat load of work remodeling my house right now but that deserves breaks to fish when needed. I'll do more to post when I plan on going, my name is Mike.
Cronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:17 AM   #14
Roscoe

Beer me
End of August I will be able to fish again. You are more then welcome to come fish with me.
Channel Islands breakwall can be hard fish. I have been skunked there many times. There are places that hold fish but you need a fish finder with gps to find them.
The kelp beds south of mugu almost always have a fish or two. I have been skunked there too a couple of times.
I try and fish one day every weekend.
Next time I am going I will give you a text
Roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:30 PM   #15
Thundermist
Junior

Thumbs up Dont give up

Been there done that i stumbled around with no fish and learned alot on you tube.Once your start catching you will love it.!
Thundermist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 05:35 PM   #16
DragginPanda
Junior

When I started the hardest thing for me to learn was drift angle.

The built in rod holders weren’t always what angle I needed. I had OEX Sunset put on adjustable rod tubes and that made a world of difference.

I match the baitfish speed and direction and improve my catch success. Sometimes I will use my paddle to slow a bit.

I drop shot on height above the grass line as well. That can be variable based on speed, angle, and depth.

Bravery is asking questions.
DragginPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 01:06 PM   #17
Warmshort

Don’t give up

Got a decent on today been almost 2 years since I caught my last one. 80’-100’ North west corner La Jolla Shores. Flyline 8’ liter fluorocarbon 30lb to Braid with 2/0 Clive bait circle hook. Super slow troll 1.4 knots let it run for a lot longer then you would think and bam Tallahassee slay ride lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 714D0101-DC84-43E6-8271-DB018375A75F.jpg (80.6 KB, 177 views)
Warmshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:34 AM   #18
WARRIORMIKE

At least you are fishing. Wish I could come back sad from being on the water.

Fish the bays and harbors. You would be surprised what you catch in there.
WARRIORMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:38 AM   #19
Beer Me
Take two

Much appreciated all of the feedback.

I don’t post much, and I never give up and rarely complain. I was feeling deflated after all the energy and time I squeeze from my hectic life and needed to vent. I wasn’t looking for sympathy or even encouragement, just some tips and questions I could answer to help me get this going.

I don’t want to be constricted to this area and wouldn’t mind the drive south if necessary. The Central Coast Kayak Fishing forum is a little slow in action and only a few spots kind of close, while others are a little much for a day trip.

I do have a fish finder, Raymarine dragonfly w/out navionics and I’m still learning to use it. I’ve yet to plot and spots. We lack structure for the most part but have sand flats galore for the bottom dwellers.

I do speak with other kayakers when I’m out there and some are helpful and some are straight up secretive and come off as uptight. More negative if anything. I still say thanks and go on my merry way.

There are fish being caught in the area Ricardo aka fisheye is killing it constantly.

I have a friend I’ve made that sold me some tackle. He and I are going to tandem out with the sail up and head further out towards OR Gina and work our way to the islands.

There was a comment saying at least I’m out there fishing and able to come home sad. Thanks? Yes I can fish, after I take care of my kids, convince my wife to let me be gone all day, and convince myself not to work that day. I have severe depression, PTSD, and even though a day on the water is magic, it’s a mindfučk when I’m loading up the yak to head home and on the drive. I’m also aware it’s called fishing and not catching, but still.

I’m going to keep heading out as I mentioned. Looking to explore more launch sites. I’m going to concentrate on Malibu/Carrillo, etc. I pay attention to to the swell/surf reports and I’m comfortable with beach launches and landing. I need something where someone doesn’t need to help me lift my yak down rock embankments.

I’m not in a position to get a smaller yak at this time, I will just keep chugging on and continue to learn and have fun.

Thanks for the input and the offers and sorry for the late response.

Beer Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:01 AM   #20
boxturtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Me View Post
Much appreciated all of the feedback.

I don’t post much, and I never give up and rarely complain. I was feeling deflated after all the energy and time I squeeze from my hectic life and needed to vent. I wasn’t looking for sympathy or even encouragement, just some tips and questions I could answer to help me get this going.

I don’t want to be constricted to this area and wouldn’t mind the drive south if necessary. The Central Coast Kayak Fishing forum is a little slow in action and only a few spots kind of close, while others are a little much for a day trip.

I do have a fish finder, Raymarine dragonfly w/out navionics and I’m still learning to use it. I’ve yet to plot and spots. We lack structure for the most part but have sand flats galore for the bottom dwellers.

I do speak with other kayakers when I’m out there and some are helpful and some are straight up secretive and come off as uptight. More negative if anything. I still say thanks and go on my merry way.

There are fish being caught in the area Ricardo aka fisheye is killing it constantly.

I have a friend I’ve made that sold me some tackle. He and I are going to tandem out with the sail up and head further out towards OR Gina and work our way to the islands.

There was a comment saying at least I’m out there fishing and able to come home sad. Thanks? Yes I can fish, after I take care of my kids, convince my wife to let me be gone all day, and convince myself not to work that day. I have severe depression, PTSD, and even though a day on the water is magic, it’s a mindfučk when I’m loading up the yak to head home and on the drive. I’m also aware it’s called fishing and not catching, but still.

I’m going to keep heading out as I mentioned. Looking to explore more launch sites. I’m going to concentrate on Malibu/Carrillo, etc. I pay attention to to the swell/surf reports and I’m comfortable with beach launches and landing. I need something where someone doesn’t need to help me lift my yak down rock embankments.

I’m not in a position to get a smaller yak at this time, I will just keep chugging on and continue to learn and have fun.

Thanks for the input and the offers and sorry for the late response.

maybe try downsizing to a pa12 or outback....that 14 is a beast to handle.
boxturtle is offline   Reply With Quote