Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2016, 02:26 PM   #1
Geno Machino
"Relax"

Distance edict on anchored up boats?

Just like to hear how close you guys feel it is ok to get, while fishing in a pack of anchored up boats in an area?

I know when I had a skiff fishing the ghosts on the hook back in the day, I considered kayaks as a boat and expected them to keep their distance, just like any other boat. Since this my first winter fishing from a yak, I just encountered this scenario last week for the first time.

I stayed outside and to the east of the clutter, and hooked my PB yt, only to lose it to a dog and hour and a half later - playing tug of war. The sea lion took me into 60' of water right outside of the pier.

Anyways, I just found some bait away from the pack and got lucky - sort of .

Geno
Old 02-01-2016, 02:32 PM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

You wanna keep your distance as a rule....but you know how it goes...when they bite all the rules go out the window! So be ready for battle! Screaming, yelling, f-bombs, line cutting...in other words..... fishing!
Old 02-01-2016, 02:40 PM   #3
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

Minimum distance- Far enough so they cannot come close to hitting you with a jig.

I'm telling ya, you have to keep these suckers on a game clip until just before you drop them in the frying pan.(Rossman)
SDROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 03:03 PM   #4
bolocop

Unless I'm fighting a fish, I keep my distance. A yelling match can turn into a bad day on the water. I've got too close on a couple of occasions taking pictures of recently caught fish and I just look up and apologize. All have been cool and are only worried about their anchor lines causing the yakker to lose fish (at least that's what they say).
bolocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 03:57 PM   #5
maquinapescado

If you are hooked up, you are at the mercy of the fish unless you can pedal your mirage drive and maneuver the fish out of the area. If you are on a paddle kayak, I guess you are F'ed.

The next thing is maybe time on the spot. If you've been working and drifting a spot for a while longer than the powerboat (PB) has been there then screw them.

I never tripped on kayaks all my years on power boats because they are more stealthy and usually not soaking more than two lines (usually).