Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2016, 08:07 PM   #1
Delbrugge4
Junior

San Diego winter kayak attire

I'm back again with another question. So I recently got my hobie outback and have yet to take it out on the water. I'm looking to get out this weekend and was thinking about what I need to wear to stay warm. I just moved here from the East Coast and I haven't been on the water at all this winter so I wasn't sure how cold it actually is. What do you guys wear (wetsuits, drysuits, etc.)?
Delbrugge4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:12 PM   #2
joezee1986

Shorts and a hoodie lol.
joezee1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:14 PM   #3
Delbrugge4
Junior

Is it really that warm out there?? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-2016, 08:21 PM   #4
Dannowar

Waders with booties and a hoodie underneath

Sometimes a splash jacket
Old 01-25-2016, 08:25 PM   #5
Iceman
Administrator

I hate being cold...........must be getting old, if any chance of getting wet on the way out I wear paddle top and paddle pants to keep me dry on the inside. fleece under the top and sweats under the paddle pants. 40 degree mornings add a beenie!
Old 01-25-2016, 09:23 PM   #6
Dave Legacy

I have only been out once this winter, but I wore quick drying convertible trekking pants and layered up top with a softshell hoodie. I launched from sheltered water and plugged my scuppers; Once I got to where so wanted to be I was plenty dry and shed my outer layers.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 01:10 PM   #7
Baja_Traveler

Never saw a need for a hoodie - but then, I'm probably too old to relate to you young punks that think they are cool...

I do wear my long sleeve sun shirt, over which I wear a light polartec top, and over that for paddling out and back through the surf zone a waterproof paddling jacket. I'll remove and add layers as the weather dictates, but most of the time I'm down to the sun shirt from mid morning to sunset.

For bottom wear a pair of trekking pants over which I'll wear a pair of Kokatat dry pants. If it gets warm, which it usually does in the afternoon the dry pants come off.

Luckily I drive a PA to support all this changing activity...
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 01:58 PM   #8
Goose1993

Haven't been out as much as I'd like this winter. I was out last winter about every weekend, maybe a little less. I would launch at Marine St to fish the kelp, so obviously I got a bit wet

When launching, I would just have on my boardshorts because I would walk the kayak out pretty deep to get past the shorebreak. Then I would put on my shirt.

Once evening rolled around, I put on this windbreaker jacket I have. It's just a shell, but it helps keep the chill off. I have similar pants I would sometimes put on if it got pretty cold, but it normally didn't until night time. But by then I would be paddling in and didn't feel it.
Goose1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 01:59 PM   #9
Denis_Ruso

I mainly surf launch so waders are a must. Other then that just depends on how early you are launching. Just before sunrise I will wear a light windproof jacket and a long sleeve. Usually shed the jacket once I get to paddling and the sun comes up.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 03:05 PM   #10
captnblood34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delbrugge4 View Post
Is it really that warm out there?? Lol

Go find out dude, what are you waiting for?
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:05 PM   #11
Delbrugge4
Junior

Waiting for the weekend!

Old 01-26-2016, 09:31 PM   #12
YOYOYaker
Junior

Now I'm curious. Are the recommendations the same for all kayaks? I know that the PA's have elevated seats, so you're not in standing water constantly. Do breathable stockingfoot waders stay dry after long periods paddling while sitting in puddles? It's probably a dumb question to those who have used them before, but I haven't.
YOYOYaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 05:30 AM   #13
Fishin' Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannowar View Post
Waders with booties and a hoodie underneath

Sometimes a splash jacket
X2. I wear long pants, with light weight chest waders. I also wear a long sleeve light weight shirt with another light weight fishing shirt over the top. If it's going to be wet out, I wear a waterproof windbreaker over the top of everything. I dress in layers so that I can take things off if it starts to warm up.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:27 AM   #14
miteofthesun

I dress in layers. I really don't like being cold for long periods of time.

Up top, I wear two synthetic long sleeve shirts underneath a fleece jacket. I'll add a wind breaker if it gets windy. This way I can remove layers as the sun comes up and it gets warmer.

To keep my legs warm, I wear fleece-lined compression pants (like running tights) and a pair of athletic shorts or board shorts.

Diving booties to keep my feet warm.
miteofthesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 05:10 AM   #15
jorluivil

Waders with socks
Long sleeve Columbia PFG shirt
Slash jacket
Hoodie

If the sun starts beating down on me I'll remove the hoodie, if it gets any hotter I'll remove the splash jacket. The only other item that I may add are some thermal pants but it's pretty rare that I wear those

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:13 PM   #16
FISH11

Talking

We have winter here in San Diego? I always just wear my long sleeve UV fishing shirt, board shorts and 3 toe water shoes. If it's higher surf or windy days then I put on a splash jacket and some times splash pants. That's it.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:31 PM   #17
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Cold: paddle pants, UV shirt, windbreaker

Colder: stocking foot waders, UV shirt, windbreaker

Coldest: wool socks & thermals under stocking foot waders, UV shirt, windbreaker
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:37 PM   #18
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

I have thin nylon single layer pants to my ankles that seem to be a lot warmer when they are wet then my thicker cotton carpenter shorts that stay wet until I get home and warm up in a hot shower. Last two trips out I got wet from the waist down with my thick cotton shorts and the evaporation chilled me to the bone.

the single layer nylon blocked the wind and they dry so fast that the evaporation effect doesn't take effect.

My rubber surf booties keep my feet warm even when they are soaked and are protection from potential stings in the surf at La Jolla shores. They stay on better than flip-flops.

So, I don't know either, but I'm tired of being wet-cold when I want to focus on fishing. From the waist up I'm dry, so a hoodie or anything that's comfortable with my vest is fine.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 01-28-2016 at 07:50 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:46 AM   #19
pbb

When I'm launching in the surf (LJ) in winter, I wear a farmer john wetsuit and booties, and a number of various poly (non-cotton) layers on top.

I have an older Revo, so my butt is at least sitting on a wet seat the whole time.

Dry suit or paddling pants, or possibly waders might be better, but my farmer john was like $12 at the thrift store and it does fine.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:37 PM   #20
stoned-trout

I wear a spray skirt so am dry from waist down .. hoodie /sweater over long sleeves and rain jacket if needed for spray...usually end up just wearing long sleeves
stoned-trout is offline   Reply With Quote