Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
Badtaste2k

Father's Day on the water at Cabrillo

Made it out on the water around 6 this morning. Went straight to the bait barge and picked up some sardines. Trolled around a Brown Warbait Swimbait on one rod and the Sardine on the other. Saw another yakker out there and paddled up to say hi. On my way, hit my one and only bass of the day on the swimbait. One is better than none! Anyways, I let her go to be caught another day. Headed out to the lighthouse and was going to run the breakwall when another yakker I met radioed me to wait up. I sat at the lighthouse and was getting ready to change my setup when my Sardine line started screaming. I grabbed the rod but there was no stopping the spool. Another 10 seconds or so and I saw a large shark (Thresher I think?) jump out of the water about 100 ft off my bow and snap goes the line. I didn't have any luck the rest of the day but that 30 seconds and seeing the shark jump the water made my day.

Got back to the light house around 12:30p and started to paddle back into an extremely heavy headwind. My fault, i knew it was coming. 2 hours later i made it back to the shore. Lifeguard offered me a lift after i made it back to the bait barge. I considered it but wanted to finish what i started. I regretted not accepting the ride every time that wind blew me to a stand still the rest of the way in.

I know, no picture means it didn't happen. Well, I can at least show that little Bass I am happy that on father's day I was able to hook the biggest fish so far on my yak!
Attached Images

Badtaste2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
GregAndrew

The wind at Cabrillo is about the only thing you can count on. Almost every day it blows directly away from the launch by noon. So you really need to know your paddle/peddle ability before you venture too far East. Good on you for griting it out on the paddle back. I CVR'd a few Halibut and a big Brown rock fish, but it was pretty slow.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:33 PM   #3
theluckypig

had a few of those tough paddles back... good job!
theluckypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #4
min-va

Good job, better than nothing, It was a tough paddle for me yesterday too.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:39 PM   #5
radastaff

one of my toughest paddles ever
same as u had

dfg guy was walking twice (if not three times)as fast on the jetty
as i could paddle

good thing there is kelp to grab a rest
every now and then
radastaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:35 AM   #6
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badtaste2k View Post
Got back to the light house around 12:30p and started to paddle back into an extremely heavy headwind. My fault, i knew it was coming. 2 hours later i made it back to the shore......
Been there.... We all do it once.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote