Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #21
ful-rac
Emperor

Here's the PUDDING!!!

All 30#s of it!!!

Old 06-11-2012, 10:03 AM   #22
Baja_Traveler

And then there's guys like me who don't own a camera they are willing to take into the wet - I gotta get one of those splash proof point & shoots one of these days...
Old 06-11-2012, 10:09 AM   #23
tasteslikechikn54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
All 30#s of it!!!

Ha ha ha ha!!!! LMFAO!!!! That is hilarious. I'm getting an order of those spoons, for sure. What's the website again???
Old 06-11-2012, 10:41 AM   #24
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron&Julie View Post
The proof is in the pudding, we just haven't seen any pudding.
In all fairness.....

Actually he's shown some pudding in the past....
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=12064

"I cought this fellow off of the red buoy between Shelter Isl and the Carrier parking lot. He took a Mack + small green skirt and Watermelon dodger off of a downrigger"

He was using a downrigger while skiff trolling in the same area for that fish.

If you can read between the lines he's using various classic Salmon downrigger trolling techniques for halibut. He's not the first to do it, and it does work. It's basically the same idea as bounce balling. I've personally fish similar spoons to the ones he describes and caught Salmon threshers and halibut locally with them.

He may be exaggerating slightly, but trollijng from a skiff you can put a lot of fish on deck if you have them zero'd in and they are in the mood. I've had my 20+ fish days fishing halibut. It's not impossible or unheard of.

I think sometimes people get used to fishing one way in one area and they think that's the only way to fish. May work for them but it's just not true.

Just saying...

Now let the lynching resume
Old 06-11-2012, 10:45 AM   #25
mtnbykr2

I don't feel tardy...someone gimme somethin' to write on....
Old 06-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #26
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptMan View Post
So I used to fish for.....

I've got a feeling you actually love and know how to fish. The deal is essentially you are in the wrong place. These are mostly kayak guys that fish only a few basic methods for the fish they catch. They are not interested in things others do that don't apply to their situation.

Think about it a minute. Downriigers with spoons will not work from a kayak. You could bounce ball with the spoons but you'd probably do just as well with flashers and hootchies. Personally I prefer small rapalas bounce balling since they float up when you stop and you can fish more rods without getting hung up but that's another "non-standard method" and pretty irrelevant about now.

Bottom line is your fishing a way they can't fish then saying your catching more fish then they catch. They aren't going to love you for it.

Jim
Old 06-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #27
maui jim

My best ever Halibut day is 18 legals in 4 hours..., and I only kept 3, over 32". my super secret spot in the LBC. 3 years ago, in 12 ft of water George and no trap hook....
Hit the right day and spot, and the spawn is on ,and it's magic.....It was so fun I took my Uncle Chuck the next morning for another 3 ...

My secret bait.... live smelt.... which is FREE!!!!!
Old 06-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #28
GregAndrew

Getting carried away on either side of this has nothing but entertainment value. Suggesting that the guy said he gave away (you donate to charity) a 100# Halibut is about as true as suggesting that asking for more proof than a newbies word is the same as some petty jealousy. In this day and age, the proof is in the pictures (I know about Photoshop etc. but the tech guys tend to work those out anyway). To make these kinds of claims and attribute it to a specific product brand, you better have some proof or reputation preceeding you or expect to be grilled.

That some people choose methods tailored less for numbers than for size does not mean that they are unable to ravage fish populations, just that they choose not to. I personally admire Halibut fishermen that take steps to avoid catching short fish. And claims of what used to happen in yesteryear do not necessarily hold any water on what can happen today.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:06 PM   #29
thien

For what its worth, I think he meant he gave away about 100lbs of hali meat. Not that he actually caught a 100lb halibut.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:10 PM   #30
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
Getting carried away on either side of this has nothing but entertainment value. Suggesting that the guy said he gave away (you donate to charity) a 100# Halibut is about as true as suggesting that asking for more proof than a newbies word is the same as some petty jealousy. In this day and age, the proof is in the pictures (I know about Photoshop etc. but the tech guys tend to work those out anyway). To make these kinds of claims and attribute it to a specific product brand, you better have some proof or reputation preceeding you or expect to be grilled.

That some people choose methods tailored less for numbers than for size does not mean that they are unable to ravage fish populations, just that they choose not to. I personally admire Halibut fishermen that take steps to avoid catching short fish. And claims of what used to happen in yesteryear do not necessarily hold any water on what can happen today.
Greg, he didn't say he gave away 100# Halibut, he said he gave away 100#'s WORTH OF Halibut.
Just want to make sure we have the facts down, I'm not defending either side just pointing out the grammatical confusion

Old 06-11-2012, 02:24 PM   #31
thien

For what its worth, I think he meant he gave away about 100lbs of hali meat. Not that he actually caught a 100lb halibut.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:45 PM   #32
StinkyMatt

What happened to "integrity"?

How about we have enough respect for a man and assume he is a self respecting honest man until he proves otherwise?

The alternative, thinking that everyone is a liar first is a really sucky way to go.

Just because I never had a day like the man described does not mean he did not.

Having said all that, man........please put up some more info I want to learn about this.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #33
thien

Yeah, not to long ago a fish report was a fish report. It didn't require pictures or go pro video footage for proof. People just shared want they wanted, and kept to themselves what they didn't.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #34
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thien View Post

Whoa!!!! That's true! But you should never let truth get in the way of a good web lynching.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:33 PM   #35
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
What happened to "integrity"?

How about we have enough respect for a man and assume he is a self respecting honest man until he proves otherwise?

The alternative, thinking that everyone is a liar first is a really sucky way to go.

Just because I never had a day like the man described does not mean he did not.

Having said all that, man........please put up some more info I want to learn about this.
Well said Matt

Quote:
Yeah, not to long ago a fish report was a fish report. It didn't require pictures or go pro video footage for proof. People just shared want they wanted, and kept to themselves what they didn't.
I love how the interenet became "pics or it didn't happen"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiskadoro View Post
Whoa!!!! That's true! But you should never let truth get in the way of a good web lynching.
A good internet lynching is always an excuse to grab some popcorn and a beer

Old 06-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #36
jorluivil

Quote:
Yes, that's what he said but even if he did he would have to have caught *at least*:

*20 barely legal hali's
*10 that measured no less than 30inches
*5 that were in the mid to high 30inches
*3 that measured at least 40inches
You see where I'm going with this? If he caught any of what I listed these spoons should be banned.

Do I catch a lot of hali's? Yes I do. I have proof if anyone needs it.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
Old 06-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #37
DanaPT

I'm sure he knows how to fish. . .

I'm not a hater. Maybe a skeptic.

25 fish... over 100 lbs of Halibut donated...

I'm thinking no photos, 5 daily bag limit. . . .They'd have to be big big fish or it was an incredible 1-3 days of fishing. Either way, we don't have all the facts (probably the intent). Who wants to share their honey hole?

BUT it would have been nice to know that I needed a boat before I spent $1000 on all those lures he was talking about.

Enough of
More of
We have a KINGS game to watch.

GO KINGS!
Old 06-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #38
mtnbykr2

I have never seen Jorge catch a halibut...
I have seen his excellent kite catching skills though...
Old 06-11-2012, 04:06 PM   #39
Chief Gunner

I guess I thought he was using a downrigger and a spreader rig from a yak...even so dragging spoons low to the bottom is gonna catch all kinds of grass, kelp bits and all the other garbage floating in the bay. I was on the Bay with Darthfisherman Sat and from what I saw where we were at, we were the only one's who caught any fish.

I don't know where he fishes in the bay but I can tell you that I go through bait like crazy and only give plastics & lures a few seconds of play when I feel the bottom wether I'm in a yak or on a boat.... because San Diego bay is dregged out in the center for the Navy ships... which means a narrow, semi deep channel that makes for strong 3-5 knot tidal surges & currents either incoming or outgoing which ='s allot of floating bits. If he's using multiple trebble hooked spoons..Thats just an Eel Grass Salad guaranteed!

I'm not totally against trying something new. I've used the same bright colored poppers used along the gulf coast in Alabama, Florida and Missisippi for Speckled Trout out in the local Kelp beds and had days where the Calicos were just crazy about them....until I lost all the ones I brought back from Pensacola.

I'm not a total doubter but I am pessimistic about this; I have Fished from Maine to here and all the way across the Pacific & Indian Ocean to the Arabian Gulf (courtesy of the World's Finest Navy) and I learned a thing or two along the way...sometimes fish in different areas react to things they have never seen berore in absolutely unexpected ways.

I'll just say that this is just one of those thing's I'll have to see for myself to believe.

Enough of that; PEACE and Tight lines guy's
Old 06-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #40
mrJB

I'm with George on this...

Besides, I don't think Mr. KeptbyMan fishes from a kayak.

Anyhow, I've got a 100 pounds of halibut in two days right 'ear...

Name:  moon2.JPG
Views: 743
Size:  26.0 KB