Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2012, 02:31 PM   #1
Amish Ed

Dana Pt slowness

Launched at the ramp at 6:30 to chilly onshore winds and cloudy skies. Water was warm and blue with not a lot of life out there. Current was pretty strong and headed downhill. Started in about 50' and I got bit on my first cast and then again on my third. Then it took almost 2 hrs to get another. That one yielded a small sand bass. A little bit later I got another sand bass. Then about an hour and a half later I got two short calicoes fishing in shallower (around 40').

Bait wise, I got the 2 sandies on the 4" Flurry in Seafood. The 2 calicoes bit the 4" Flurry in Baitball. Tried just about every style, color and size. They just weren't biting. I had hoped that the sun might wake them up, it didn't. Called it quits at 10:00 by which time the wind was blowing big time. Drifts were way too fast and the bite wasn't there anyways.

Talked to one other yaker and he was having about as much luck as me. Highlights for the day... 1) I didn't lose a single leadhead today, even though I snagged the bottom multiple times. 2) I wasn't sure how much juice I had left in my battery so I didn't turn on the FF until I got out there. Turned out I was about 10' from the pipe when I turned on the FF. I guess I'm learning where it is. Still wouldn't want to fish it without a FF though.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:00 AM   #2
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

I was out there yesterday too but I had quite a bit of action. I was trying to concentrate on WSB with macs and horse deans on dropper loops and Carolina rigs. I managed some by-catch including 4 chunky sandbass and 2 chunky calicos, and the biggest spider crab I've ever seen, and kept a 32" flattie.

Sorry no on the water pics
Attached Images

"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:56 AM   #3
mtnbykr2

It's beginning to feel alot like .....fishing season....great job guys congrats on the catch at DP
Old 06-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
Anthony179
A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossman View Post
I was out there yesterday too but I had quite a bit of action. I was trying to concentrate on WSB with macs and horse deans on dropper loops and Carolina rigs. I managed some by-catch including 4 chunky sandbass and 2 chunky calicos, and the biggest spider crab I've ever seen, and kept a 32" flattie.

Sorry no on the water pics

it looks like you were about to give the halibut a back rub and of couse a happy ending. nice catchj
Anthony179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #5
Amish Ed

Nice butt for sure.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
Vikingj

Ed said "Talked to one other yaker and he was having about as much luck as me".

Actually, you were doing much better! I left the pipe shortly after you and went to doho where the wind and the bite were even worst.
Wayne
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:46 PM   #7
Amish Ed

Yeah the wind got kinda brutal. It was a really wet paddle back in. Sorry to hear you had it worse.