Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 03-20-2018, 08:32 AM   #1
BigTunaL

La Jolla Report - March 19

Forecast said 15 sec period but actual period was more like 5 sec. Launch was not too bad if you time it right. Bait was very abundant and everywhere but not many biters. Landed few rock fish in kelp but nothing exciting or worth taking picture of.

One incident happened that made me even more proud of being part of the kayak fishing community at LJ: a kayak woman was screaming for help so I started pedaling towards her and then realized that she was pointing at a capsized kayaker in the distance, few minutes later I arrived there and so did every kayaker in the area. We helped flip the kayak and get the gentleman back on his kayak. Luckily he was wearing a life vest and did not loose anything because all his gear was leashed.

Glad everything went and still impressed with everyone's help.

BigTunaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:28 AM   #2
Semper Fi-shing

Nice. Always a blessing when you can live to fish another day and safety precautions are taken when yakking.

I rescued 3 guys....a dad and his two young sons a few years back at Perris lake when their tandem yak was capsized by a fast moving boat at a no wake zone. The dad was in the water with no life jacket on. They managed to right the yak and get the kids back on, but the dad was hanging on to the back of their yak, not being able to get back on. The kids were ok.....they managed to get back on their yak but were already going into hypothermia after a few minutes,, even though it was 85 and sunny. Wearing heavy and sneakers didnt help.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:44 AM   #3
stevie951
Lurker

Cheers to you brotha, one time up north i flipped in my X-13 which is far more narrow than my stealth and for the life of me, no matter the technique i tried, it would still do the barrel roll. An amigo came in to assist and luckily due to assistance i was able to get back in but yeah, learned the leash lesson that day, lost a torium on a saguro and god knows what else that day... Good karma though on you

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:42 AM   #4
calwaterbear
Junior

can you guys roll the fishing kayak like a river kayak? I can roll my river kayak pretty easy, but havent tried a fishing kayak yet, i just assumed it would not be the same!
calwaterbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:57 PM   #5
FISH11

Hi ! I have to admit to being the one in the drink yesterday. I want to again thank all, for their help in getting the Revo 13 with all the gear back over. That's was what I wasn't expecting was going to be the hard part. I learned after several failed attempt to get it back over by reaching under to the other handle and pull while pushing with the left. Every time all my rods and other lines tying every thing down would come up and hit my legs and stop me from getting it up far enough. I got winded and needed a small rest so as to grab from the bottom of the hull side the problem is the isn't some thing to grab on that side except the fins and shaft to pull up until you can grab the rail. Now I know to make a short section of rope attached to the inside center area of the kayak (the pedal leash anchor point) and long enough to throw over either side and be able to grab so as to pull the kayak over from the cleaner side. I've owned and used that Revo at LJ almost exclusively since June 2016 and have been in so many really bad weather conditions that I could not understand what had happened because it was so quick. When I got home and was checking out my cameras, I found the I had been taking video of the beautiful morning and trying to keep the video display looking like it is center on the coast so it will be in focus, as I pan after a while I start to move the camera toward the water and put it into the water and get some under water footage. As I'm starting to lean forward and to the side a following swell lifts up the rear of the kayak and it doesn't help I was drifting and sideways to the swells and my momentum just carries me right over my fish finder and sabiki with line in the water. I got so relaxed that I was not paying attention to the constantly changing surroundings, the sad thing is most times I have rolled any kayak even in the surf landings, it was because of getting too relaxed and being slow to react in sometimes needing to shift weight and if you don't see it coming than like yesterday it becomes another lesson learned. As I herd a few of the helper yesterday mention about why it's good to wear a PFD and to have things leashed. I only lost a small jig that was on my other rod and in having to cut a line to undo a large mess of tangle with the leashes and 2 fishing lines. A very small price. I thought as I have learned some of those thing the hard way and some because of other that have posted about their experiences here on BWE. I hope that this makes others be more prepared. Practice deep water self-rescue on the kayak you use now. I have done it with other and this time I thought I was prepared even had a self-rescue step, I did not need to use it because it was faster to have a couple of other kayakers hold one side from lifting while I pulled myself up. It is a bitch when you are trying to get your breath. Hope this will help somebody or even save a life. P.S. this is a still frame from 1 second before I go over the rod and must have grabbed at it causing kayak to roll over. The worse thing I did yesterday was to forget the hand pump in my truck. I remembered that about 1 1/2 hour before I could have used it. The Revo had enough water that came in through the front hatch and inside the fish bag (at least 10-12 gallons) that it made it supper unstable on the way back in especially with the following swells. Lesson #2 on the day.Hope this will help somebody or even save a life. P.S. this is a still frame from the video I was taking 1 second before I go over the rod and must have grabbed at it causing kayak to roll over.
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2018, 04:21 PM   #6
YakDout
Brandon

Thanks for the story mark, we’ve all been there. I remember flipping my revo 13 when i was first getting into kayak fishing. Such a newb mistake didn’t have anything leashed and lost 3 or 4 really nice setups. It happened so fast and the water was pretty cold I didn’t even think. I had my yak flipped back over and just climbed right back on in a matter of seconds. I think I just reached across to the other side and just threw a leg over and pulled myself in. Ive since learned to straddle my legs over the yak in really rough conditions when just drifting around. Ive never flipped in surf and that was the only time I’ve ever gone over in a yak. I’m sure my time is coming for a surf flip. Cant wait....Was your seat in the high position?

*Pro tip for those trying to get back in the yak* Just think about all the GWS around.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 04:23 PM   #7
sdyeti

"Practice deep water self-rescue on the kayak you use now."

and "

"it's good to wear a PFD and to have things leashed"

These are things that I think can't be said enough. Being able to self rescue is something we should work on being able to do. It defintely takes practice. I use to be in the fire service and this was something we trained on all the time.

The first time I took my new to me Radar out to La Jolla I didn't take any fishing equipment. I just took it out to practice launching, landing, and getting back in from the water. It was a total swiming trip but something that I felt was absolutely necessary to do.

I feel like I might have to do this session again just to reacquaint myself with these necessary skiills after hearing FISH11 sharing his story.
sdyeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:35 AM   #8
NICKWORN

Lobster Hooping Zuniga

I remember getting tossed in the drink in the middle of the night out at Zuniga. I had 5 hoops stacked on the back of my Outback which end up shifting( we were in close to the shore/decent swell/surf)causing me to fall out. I had my waders on as it was middle of winter( you dont sink with waders ) which filled immediately, but due to the shock of the cold water and the thought of whats below( night makes it scarier )i was back in the yak in the matter of seconds. Cold and in shock, i called it a night and began to peddle the long journey back to Kellog St.

Its going to happen eventually, best to be prepared!!

NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:11 PM   #9
da22y

No Worry , just get one of this....

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...-outrigger-kit
da22y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:53 PM   #10
stevie951
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by da22y View Post
No Worry , just get one of this....

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...-outrigger-kit
Honestly, Outrigger support is always on the back of my mind.. I have not committed yet due to multiple reasons but love to take those long trips out so know the benefits of having..

How is launching with outriggers? Or do you you not put on till after getting through the surf zone?

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:57 PM   #11
da22y

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie951 View Post
Honestly, Outrigger support is always on the back of my mind.. I have not committed yet due to multiple reasons but love to take those long trips out so know the benefits of having..

How is launching with outriggers? Or do you you not put on till after getting through the surf zone?
I set it up and surf launch, but take it off minutes before landing .
Super safe on water, you can't flip it over even if you try...
da22y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 04:08 AM   #12
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
I was doing a night dive for lobster at zuniga with a dive buddy when....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKWORN View Post
I remember getting tossed in the drink in the middle of the night out at Zuniga. I had 5 hoops stacked on the back of my Outback which end up shifting( we were in close to the shore/decent swell/surf)causing me to fall out. I had my waders on as it was middle of winter( you dont sink with waders ) which filled immediately, but due to the shock of the cold water and the thought of whats below( night makes it scarier )i was back in the yak in the matter of seconds. Cold and in shock, i called it a night and began to peddle the long journey back to Kellog St.

Its going to happen eventually, best to be prepared!!

We got in the water to early before tide charge. I could feel the current pulling out, holding on to the boat, on the backside of the jettie.Boat was on anchor We might have been ok if we went down and got out of current maybe.i didn't check tide I left it up to my partner his boat Ifigured he checked tide.i remember saying to him you sure about this Jeff I feel a lot of current hanging on to the boat.Anyway we left the boat and headed towards the rocks, I could feel the rocks with the tips of my fins.all of the sudden a swell pulls us over the top of the jettie and were in current heading out to sea in the dark.the current is to strong to swim against with a scuba tank.all we can do is try and hold our position, with heart rate rising I pull my hood off my head so I can breath better.I yell at the top of my lungs to Dennie he fishing in the boat, come and get us....good thing we had someone in the boat.to come and pick us up or we would have floated out to sea.the current in San Diego bay current is really strong at times always check tide times and movement of water.

Last edited by MITCHELL; 03-22-2018 at 04:53 AM.
MITCHELL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:59 AM   #13
Ddwineguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
Hi ! I have to admit to being the one in the drink yesterday. I want to again thank all, for their help in getting the Revo 13 with all the gear back over. That's was what I wasn't expecting was going to be the hard part. I learned after several failed attempt to get it back over by reaching under to the other handle and pull while pushing with the left. Every time all my rods and other lines tying every thing down would come up and hit my legs and stop me from getting it up far enough. I got winded and needed a small rest so as to grab from the bottom of the hull side the problem is the isn't some thing to grab on that side except the fins and shaft to pull up until you can grab the rail. Now I know to make a short section of rope attached to the inside center area of the kayak (the pedal leash anchor point) and long enough to throw over either side and be able to grab so as to pull the kayak over from the cleaner side. I've owned and used that Revo at LJ almost exclusively since June 2016 and have been in so many really bad weather conditions that I could not understand what had happened because it was so quick. When I got home and was checking out my cameras, I found the I had been taking video of the beautiful morning and trying to keep the video display looking like it is center on the coast so it will be in focus, as I pan after a while I start to move the camera toward the water and put it into the water and get some under water footage. As I'm starting to lean forward and to the side a following swell lifts up the rear of the kayak and it doesn't help I was drifting and sideways to the swells and my momentum just carries me right over my fish finder and sabiki with line in the water. I got so relaxed that I was not paying attention to the constantly changing surroundings, the sad thing is most times I have rolled any kayak even in the surf landings, it was because of getting too relaxed and being slow to react in sometimes needing to shift weight and if you don't see it coming than like yesterday it becomes another lesson learned. As I herd a few of the helper yesterday mention about why it's good to wear a PFD and to have things leashed. I only lost a small jig that was on my other rod and in having to cut a line to undo a large mess of tangle with the leashes and 2 fishing lines. A very small price. I thought as I have learned some of those thing the hard way and some because of other that have posted about their experiences here on BWE. I hope that this makes others be more prepared. Practice deep water self-rescue on the kayak you use now. I have done it with other and this time I thought I was prepared even had a self-rescue step, I did not need to use it because it was faster to have a couple of other kayakers hold one side from lifting while I pulled myself up. It is a bitch when you are trying to get your breath. Hope this will help somebody or even save a life. P.S. this is a still frame from 1 second before I go over the rod and must have grabbed at it causing kayak to roll over. The worse thing I did yesterday was to forget the hand pump in my truck. I remembered that about 1 1/2 hour before I could have used it. The Revo had enough water that came in through the front hatch and inside the fish bag (at least 10-12 gallons) that it made it supper unstable on the way back in especially with the following swells. Lesson #2 on the day.Hope this will help somebody or even save a life. P.S. this is a still frame from the video I was taking 1 second before I go over the rod and must have grabbed at it causing kayak to roll over.

Found this a few years ago on eBay. Works great as both to flip your kayak back over and to help you climb back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ddwineguy is offline   Reply With Quote