Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2014, 05:39 PM   #1
zrbite

Dana Point Hooping Questions

I used to hoop for lobster in San Diego, but had moved up to Irvine. I want to start hooping again and hope you guys can help me out.

1. For location, is Dana Point the closest place (from Irvine) to hoop by kayak? Crystal Cove maybe?

2. I went to check out DP today and saw that parking ends at 12 midnight. So basically if anyone is here hooping, they need to be done at 12? What about the opener, which starts at midnight? Does it get enforced?

3. Do people typically hoop on the inside of the jetty or on the outside?

4. I noticed on the southwestern end of DP, there is beach access. It seems like a good way to get into the rocky areas, although the sign does say no boat launching. I assume kayaks count as a boat launch. Any idea?

Thanks for the help.
zrbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:16 PM   #2
DanaPT

1. For location, is Dana Point the closest place (from Irvine) to hoop by kayak? Crystal Cove maybe? Your choice. I know nothing about crystal cove.

2. I went to check out DP today and saw that parking ends at 12 midnight. So basically if anyone is here hooping, they need to be done at 12? What about the opener, which starts at midnight? Does it get enforced? If you launch at the $10 boat launch, parking is a non-issue. I have parked at baby beach til 2 or 3 no tickets.

3. Do people typically hoop on the inside of the jetty or on the outside? I don't think you can hoop inside the harbor. people hoop the "long" wall and the areas around the rock jetties.

4. I noticed on the southwestern end of DP, there is beach access. It seems like a good way to get into the rocky areas, although the sign does say no boat launching. I assume kayaks count as a boat launch. Any idea? At dark no one is going to care where you launch. I wouldn't sweat it being hassled. I WOULD caution you about the that shallow area in/around capo beach. Plenty of rocks BUT surf could be an issue with tides and at night could be challenging.

Good luck out there!
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:53 PM   #3
zrbite

Thanks for the advice!
zrbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:49 AM   #4
straightrod

I have been to the boat launch the last two weekends. Both times I talked to an elderly whit gentleman named Steve that took my $10.00 for parking. I asked about staying overnight, because the website and a sign posted at the parking area says it is available and cost $20.00. Steve's response to overnight parking was that it was not offered even though there was a sign posted that indicated overnight parking fees. He said if one was inclined to park overnight or after hours he would not be looking to enforce any rules. Not a real satisfactory answer, but I got the idea that if you were not making a ruckus you could park there after hours without any trouble and probably spend the night.
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:46 AM   #5
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I see plenty of cars at the ramps overnight but I wouldn't push my luck too far past midnight at any of the other parking areas. I've been asked to leave the pier parking (baby beach) lot after 1am by a security guy once before.

For launching at the south (Doheny) beach area you can beach launch south of Thor's Hammer where paddleboards are allowed, although at evenings I don't think many would mind you launching near the jetty. Parking past midnight there is a problem though. I've never been but suppose one could pay to get in the Doheny park campground area for overnight parking, but at that point might as well pay for the launch ramp.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote