Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
garcia0425
Junior

Anyone interested in SD Bay tomorrow?

I'm really interested in working on my halibut technique. I've only been to SD bay twice and I'd be open to launching from any location along the bay. Anyone interested in targeting Halibut and/or bass in the bay tomorrow?
garcia0425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:01 PM   #2
danjor

I might be interested, allthough i have never fished san diego bay or cought a halibut. Was thinking of going to newport to trythe for halibut, but if you find someone who knows what there dong id love to come and learn.
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #3
JeffB

Here is a tip to a trick I use. Find flat bottom area either off of ledges or outside some sort of structure. The west of the bay has some real nice mud bottoms. If you use plastics, fish them vertical on a nice current with a heavy lead head. Or a 3/4oz when the current is slack. I fish my baits fast and hard. Give them nice heavy jerks so they make a thud on the bottom. You should be able to feel it in your hand. Also a friend of mine introduced me into long lining. Seems to work for me on slack tides. I throw anywhere from an once to once and half paired with 4"-5" swims out there. The big halibut are roaming right now. I have went out for halibut specifically this year. I caught probably a totally 30 halibut between the 3 trips with 13 legals. Anywhere from the 24"-31" range. White, silver, and green have been my go to colors with the halibut here lately. Wish I could take you out, but I have class tomorrow. I will be out late Sunday and early Monday though. Good luck to you if you do make it out.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:28 PM   #4
danjor

If i do go i gotta go stop at sports chalet tonight. Need heaver lead heads and more plastics. And maby line for my new reel
Old 05-16-2012, 03:33 PM   #5
garcia0425
Junior

I'm up for joining you Sunday? What time did you mean by "late"?

Appreciate all the info, thanks. Thanks for emphasizing the wieght of lead heads you use. I'm used to catching spotty bay bass on MB and using not so much weight. Makes sense.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
danjor

So garcia you still planing on going out tomorrow?
Old 05-16-2012, 03:49 PM   #7
garcia0425
Junior

Jeff - Again thanks for info, PM sent

Danjor - PM sent, I am still on for tomorrow.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:21 PM   #8
inbx3

Not a halibut fisherman but I'll meet you mid morning somewhere if you'd like. Need to drop off the kids 1st then get ready. Should be able to meet around 9:30-10:00. I usually go to Glorietta but can meet you SI. Let me know.
inbx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #9
danjor

Im all set. Ill be at shelter island around 630am-730am
prob stick around that area trying out my new reel until inbx3 gets there.
Never heard back from garcia, hopefully will hear from him tomorrow or see him out there.