Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-21-2018, 09:54 AM   #1
NathanNichols14
Junior

Just Getting Started

Whatsup everyone! I am just getting serious with kayak fishing, and am really enjoying it. I have fished Torrey Pines recently for calico, and LJ a few times(when i was younger) and am definitely loving it more now that im older and more capable. So here is my question, what is the best way to get started? Essential gear, good beginner kayaks, etc... I'm here to learn as much as possible! One more question, how has LJ been recently? I am thinking about heading out this coming tuesday, and looking for a place to go(if i do go there, would anybody advise against yoyo for yellowtail?). Thanks in advance for the help!Calico_Kayak.jpg
NathanNichols14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:01 AM   #2
goldenglory18

What gear do you currently have now?

Need to know where you are starting from before we can recommend where you should go...
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:45 AM   #3
Hunters Pa

Come to this event

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=32361

You will see lots of setups and be able to talk to dozens of people that have been doing this for varying amounts of time
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:49 AM   #4
NathanNichols14
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
What gear do you currently have now?

Need to know where you are starting from before we can recommend where you should go...
Gear wise, i have all the fishing gear. Fished my whole life but from our boat rather than kayak. As far as kaya specific gear, I have NOTHING...and i mean nothing lol. Borrowing my buddies tandem when we go out. I live and fish regularly in San Diego, so any spots here will do
Old 03-21-2018, 12:26 PM   #5
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanNichols14 View Post
Gear wise, i have all the fishing gear. Fished my whole life but from our boat rather than kayak. As far as kaya specific gear, I have NOTHING...and i mean nothing lol. Borrowing my buddies tandem when we go out. I live and fish regularly in San Diego, so any spots here will do
Before anyone else says it. Safety gear is a priority. You are your own captain when kayaking and with that you need to have a life jacket for every person onboard.

Check the weather, make sure you know the forecast. Be aware of currents and winds.

That being out of the way, there is A LOT of information already available on this forum.

There are a lot of options for kayak fishing some are necessities, some are comforts and others are just really helpful modifications.

Just to name a few:
marine radio
Rod Holders
fish finder
bait tank
fish finder
gear track (for mounting misc gear. cameras, electronics et's)
Anchor
Waders for the cold days
fish grip
game clip / gaff for landing big fish

Check out the Share Your Innovations page for a lot of DIY projects you can do at home to save some money. As all things are available for purchase but quickly start to add up.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:58 PM   #6
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
MOST IMPORTANT
Learn to enter and exit your yak in deep water, should you fall or be tossed out of your kayak you must be able to reenter. And while you are at it, NEVER go yaking without WEARING your life preserver. Unless of course you have a death wish. Tight Lines.

YOUR PICTURE SHOWS YOU NOT WEARING YOUR LIFE JACKET. very bad habit.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:17 PM   #7
NathanNichols14
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
MOST IMPORTANT
Learn to enter and exit your yak in deep water, should you fall or be tossed out of your kayak you must be able to reenter. And while you are at it, NEVER go yaking without WEARING your life preserver. Unless of course you have a death wish. Tight Lines.

YOUR PICTURE SHOWS YOU NOT WEARING YOUR LIFE JACKET. very bad habit.
got it! the only reason i wasnt wearing a life jacket, is because we werein about 6 feet of water and anchored. Otherwise i will abolutely be wearing one