Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2011, 07:31 PM   #1
MrPatrick

SD Bay 3-4-11, triple play

I hadn't been on the water in a long time and I was Jonesing.
I had new reels that I bought from craigslist. They were Great White GWC30's. They are Quantum PTS 30's with the cabelas name on them. Great deal at 50$ each, new in the box for two.
I also had a new spinning combo with a cardinal reel and a tactix rod. I spooled it with fireline crystal.
I went out to the 10th Ave. Terminal and fishing was slow, just a couple of spots. I switched to a nuclear chicken gulp shrimp and the next fish wasn't a spot. It came up with a slow tail beat...... Hali. Got it to the boat and thought it was short and set I free. The wind picked up and I moved back to the West side of the Bay over by the restaurants and fished in 35' of water. I caught another Hali that was smaller than the first. But I decided to measure it. It went 20", so I may have let a keeper go, oh well. I caught a third Hali that went about 17". All on the crazy colored shrimp. The wind kept building and I went to Mariot ferry dock and caught 3 Calico bass.
Not great day but the butts made it special. I had caught more Hali's Ina day buthey were all really small ones under the bridge. The butts are here folks, go get them.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:44 AM   #2
catchnfish

So how do you fish those gulp shrimp? Do you treat them like a plastic or like dead shrimp? Ive never used them before and they seem like a convenient way to always have bait on you.
catchnfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:34 PM   #3
MrPatrick

Gulp

I put them on a 3/8 oz chartreuse ball leadhead with red painted eyes and let keep contact with the bottom.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:10 PM   #4
catchnfish

Thank you sir.
catchnfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:31 PM   #5
young mola

great job on the halis.. on slower days ill toss a gulp ghost shrimp out back and on a carolina rig and just drag it around while im drifting.. works pretty good, thought it might be another option.
young mola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:48 PM   #6
MrPatrick

Fireline

A note about the fireline chystal. It was six pound test and the fish hit it with no problem. Great feel but it Is stiff off of a spinning reel.
The real drawback is that it has very poor abrasion resistance. I lost the last Hali when the line was cut on the fishes teeth.