Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2014, 07:53 AM   #1
rieffer

Looking for a hotel to stay at.

Hi everyone. The Rockfish Derby coming up will be my first fishing trip to San Diego and was wondering if anyone knows a good hotel to stay at for the tourney? Important thing is security for my PA12, don't want to leave it on the rack over night.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
rieffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:07 AM   #2
jruiz
Large Member

If you want cheap and security, I stayed at the motel 6 off hotel circle. The patrons there are really shady but they have security between 10pm and 4am stationed at the parking lot. They monitor all incoming and outgoing traffic. I backed my truck against a tree, kayak cable locked, and with all my poles and gear in the back. It wouldn't hurt to maybe tip them $5 to keep an extra eye out for your gear.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:38 AM   #3
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

I'm glad this thread was started, I'm trying to figure out the exact same info. I want a secure environment but don't want to spend hundreds per night to get it, plus I was told at a nicer hotel one time that they didn't appreciate the kayak in the bed of my truck since it was hanging out and "posed as a safety risk" somehow. How far is the Motel 6 from a launch?
WildernessWanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:20 AM   #4
jruiz
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildernessWanker View Post
I'm glad this thread was started, I'm trying to figure out the exact same info. I want a secure environment but don't want to spend hundreds per night to get it, plus I was told at a nicer hotel one time that they didn't appreciate the kayak in the bed of my truck since it was hanging out and "posed as a safety risk" somehow. How far is the Motel 6 from a launch?
It's close to mission bay. The parking attendants had the same concern about my kayak hanging out my bed. I assured them I could fit inside a parking space if I backed in and had the kayak over the grassy area.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:24 AM   #5
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

I don't know about you guys but when I'm fishing out of town for just a daywith thousands of dollars of gear loaded up, i bring a blanket and pillow and put the car seat back and catch some Zzzzzz near the launch.

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:40 PM   #6
joezee1986

For what it's worth In the middle of both landings worst comes to worst if you it makes you feel comfortable you can have your kayak here I live off Nimitz and West Point Loma.

Joseph
joezee1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:42 PM   #7
rieffer

I like the idea of just sleeping in the truck. Are there parking lots near by?
Do you get hassled for sleeping overnight? Do they allow cocktails?/ barbeque? Sounds like a parteeee!
rieffer is offline   Reply With Quote