Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2011, 12:11 PM   #1
onetriphudson

Oceanside Harbor 2-13-11

Left the boat launch area around 7 am. First trip with this used old scupper I bought off CL and was happy to not sink. FF worked, paddle paddled and everything went great except for no fish. Did not even catch bait on the sabiki. Water temp was around 56/57. Also this was my first time fishing O-side so I'm sure that contributed to the lack of action. Dragged plastics along the jetties, inside and through the mouth of the harbor. Then outside the main break wall and then back along inside of break wall and into back of the bay. Fished between 10 ft. and 30 ft. depths. Tons of birds working outside about 1 mile southwest, so thick they looked like a swarm of flies. Saw some boats stop on them but eventually just kept going. Met one friendly kayaker early and later was passed by two other kayakers that kept paddling to fish somewhere NW of the harbor. Water was stained and not much current movement. Great weather, easiest launch ever and only bummer was a ticket for parking in the wrong spot even though the lot was empty and I paid to use the boat launch. Going to contest it even though I'm in the wrong.
onetriphudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:13 PM   #2
sterling

I'm not sure if you've heard, but there are No fish in Oceanside. There is a $5 parking fee you pay for at a machine up there. So if you paid it and got a ticket that makes Oceanside fishing much more undesirable.
sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
onetriphudson

shouldve known

As usual, I've got to learn things the hard way. No doubt there is something funky about Oceanside which is too bad because it's a quick trip for me coming from San Marcos. Until the water warms I'll be better off to fish the big bay. Sure seems like there should be fish there. Shows what I know!
Old 02-13-2011, 07:54 PM   #4
Nic D

theres plenty of good fishing out of Oside and some times, paying $5 is better than driving in circles for an hour looking for a parking space in LJ.
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:49 AM   #5
Kaijuu
"Floater"

parking in O'side

It cost nothing to park in O'Side unless you decide to use the launch ramp, which is unnecessary.

If you veer to the right as you enter the marina, you can park and launch without issue at the temp docks located near the harbor patrol office. You can also park and launch behind Jolly Roger restaurant.

As far as fish, I was there a few days ago and caught a few nice Calicos and Sandies. You just have to know where to look.

Head West, approx 275 degrees. In the direction you saw the other kayakers. About 1 mile out start looking for lobster buoys while they are still there. About 43 ft of water. This is the beginning of one of the artificial reefs. The buoys mark structure. There are more bouys for the next 3/4 mile or so NW of the first set. All are around structure. Plenty of fish to be had.

There are also more spots another 1/2 mile or so out in about 70'.

The buoys will only be there till the end of bug season.
Kaijuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:33 AM   #6
taggermike

When I lived in Carlsbad I used to fish Oside regularly. Like others said, you can make the paddle to the artificial reefs. They're easy to find now with the lobster bouys on them. There's some decent bass and skulpin in that area and I have taken a few YT there in the summer. Another place to make a paddle to is the Buckaneer Beach pipe. Just head south a few miles from the harbor. There is a lot of structure there with bass and decent sheephead. Again there can be YT there in the summer. There are kelp bed farther north off camp Pendleton that can produce the usual kelp bed suspects but it's a long pull on a kayak. In the winter I would often stay in the harbor. I have never had good bass fishing there but I never worked to hard at it. I would usually get a little pass of bait from the reciever and target halibut. The best fishing I have found is on the Marine Corps side of the harbor. You need a special "federal reservation" permit to fish there. It's not too expensive but you have to drive way up in to pendleton to get. At least you used to. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:16 AM   #7
onetriphudson

Thanks

Guys, thanks for the tips and great information. I'll have to try some of those spots sometime and maybe if any of you are headed there soon, shoot me an invitation!
Old 02-14-2011, 11:59 AM   #8
Kahouna

If the weather holds, I'll give it a go sometime this week. I will be fishing blind until i get a new ff located though.
Kahouna is offline   Reply With Quote