Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-22-2014, 07:25 PM   #1
Mikey Likes It

LJ 7/21/14 - Thanks Mom

I solo launched La jolla at 530am on Monday morning to fish for yellowtail. I had a hard time making bait so I started rock fishing. After pulling up a fat vermillion I drifted right over a large school of green backs and was able to make six pieces of bait. I then started trolling a fly lined greenie and was on the spot I wanted at 1100am right before the tide shift. I trolled the area for about an hour and didn't see much activity. No boils and no birds. I was about to switch back to rock fishing when all the sudden my clicker starts screaming. I grab my rod out of the holder, flipped my seagate 35 that had 80lb green braid with a 40lb fluorocarbon leader into gear and let my 3/0 circle hook set itself. He took me on a quick sleigh ride, with lots of line ripping and head shaking but I was confident in my entire setup and drag setting. After bringing him to color, I sunk SteveOs custom gaff into him, game clipped and bled out.

I then sat back started screaming in joy practically crying and thanking my mom for the fish she gave me from heaven.

After spending the last 3 weeks in the San Francisco Bay Area with my family watching my mom pass away I was able to get out on the water on Monday. My mom gave me that yellowtail that day and its a moment I'll never forget.

I love you mom. Rest in peace.
Attached Images

Mikey Likes It is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
la jolla, yellowtail