Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-23-2015, 09:31 PM   #1
Jack210
Junior

Lightbulb Kayaking with 10 foot kayak

Hi I was wondering if anyone knew if it is possible to take a 10 foot kayak through waves and then to the kelp beds. Would a 10 foot kayak make it?
Jack210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:41 PM   #2
momo fish

No, way to short. Need at least 23 foot long kayak... If not sharks will eat you..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:52 PM   #3
monstahfish

More information would help a lot here. How tall are you, how much do you weigh, what boats are you thinking about? Will you be fishing or diving off of it and what areas do you want to use it in. For saltwater, I would recommend a 12ft sit on top or larger for most sitautions. A 10' will have less glide and be harder to paddle straight but more fun in the surf if you wanted to surf it.
I would also recommend since you sound like a newbie, don't go alone and if the conditions don't look great, don't go at all. Wear your PFD(I could send you countless links of news stories about dead people who didn't) Dress for the water, we are coming into colder water soon and if you fall in and get separated from your boat you could be there for a while and hypothermia becomes a major issue especially with our cold nights recently. Make sure you have a marine radio you know how to use properly etc... basically safety is a first priority unless you're going for a Darwin award.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:21 PM   #4
2-Stix

i fished off a tarpon 100 (10' yak for months). surf to kelp, 8-9 mile days.
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 06:42 AM   #5
Mahigeer

I highly recommend paying attention to what monstafish is posting.

He knows kayak fishing.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:19 AM   #6
Iceman
Administrator

My quick answer when planning on fishing the ocean I recommend 12 foot minimum. The exception would be if you are a really small guy who plans on catching small fish with out using live bait.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:50 AM   #7
acorad

I mostly fly fish, my buddy's a bait/lure guy.

He and I have taken his sub-10' no name kayaks out through the surf to the kelp numerous times since the beginning of the summer, and it's been no problem at all. I'm 5-8, 150 lbs., my buddy is 6-1, 190.

He focuses on mackerel (his wife loves them) and I mainly get calico and bonito.

In the same kayak I went outside the MLPA (3 miles offshore) once with a bunch of experienced kayakers and had a blast, although it was a big swell day and we all bailed on the deep water after an hour or two. I got a 24"+ bonito that day.

These experienced kayakers fish with multiple rods, bait tanks, FFrs, etc. Getting their rigs down to the beach is a significant process, getting them back up to their cars after 6 hours on the water is a whole 'nother story.

Being a fly guy I can travel much lighter.

I am currently in the market for a Revo 11.

Andy
acorad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:11 AM   #8
Goose1993

Absolutely it will.

When I got into fishing a few years ago, I fished off of a 10 foot Lifetime Tamarack kayak in the kelp for calicos multiple times a week. I'm a 6 foot 5, 200 pound man. Apparently my friends thought I was way too big for it, but I never minded. I got it for $200 and fished for free....

I even fished it on the central coast and offshore la jolla a couple times.

Since then, I have gotten a 14 foot X factor kayak. It's more comfortable and is rigged for fishing so it makes the experience better, but the 10 footer will absolutely be fine.
Goose1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 12:29 PM   #9
Jack210
Junior

I weigh about 135 and I am 5' 10'' also I am 14, so I am pretty athletic if that helps at all. I am new to kayak fishing except for going to aqua hedionda lagoon a couple times. The kayak is a Sun Dolphin Bali SS 10'. I will be fishing off it and maybe dive off it in the future. Thank you for the replies!
Jack210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 06:06 PM   #10
monstahfish

Just be careful with that boat and don't go out alone. I'm only saying this for your own safety. If it starts to feel unstable at all head for shore immediately. There have been a lot of reports of leaks on these and a kayak loaded with water becomes unstable rapidly. These boat do not have floatation inside nor access to bail them out. Once you get past the point of no return, you will be better off swimming for shore because you will tire out trying to get back on and then flipping again. Wearing your PFD is once again very highly recommended.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 06:52 AM   #11
Orca Winfrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack210 View Post
Hi I was wondering if anyone knew if it is possible to take a 10 foot kayak through waves and then to the kelp beds. Would a 10 foot kayak make it?
Hi Jack,
I'm a relatively newbie to yak fishing, so take my advice for what it's worth. I currently fish in a beat up 9' Hobie Lanai I got for $180 and have had no problems in open water off Newport and Dana. Like iceman said, you don't have a live well, but you can make a PVC bait tube and put some macs in it. As everyone says, ALWAYS wear a PFD. I also recommend practicing self-rescue first in a pool or by the shore. That way you can check for leaks too. Watch lots of self rescue vids too just keep in mind that doing it in real life can be harder than it looks on video. Also, put leashes on everything you don't want to lose. And don't go out alone.
Orca Winfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:55 AM   #12
battwings85
Junior

If u got the balls you can but bring a frind or 2 but I wood stay in the harbor if I was u or get towed out to your spot

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
battwings85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:51 PM   #13
miller
Junior

Not fun but very doable

I'm 230lbs and had a mini x for years and only fished la jolla in the winter launching in the surf only caught two yellows from it but I made it work. Not gona lie tho when I finally got a stealth 12 it was like night and day paddling was so much easier. If your on a budget the mini x is awesome jus make yourself a bait tube and you're ready to go.

Tags
10 foot kayak, gear recommendations help, kayak fishing help, kayaking help, kelp beds