Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 05-26-2015, 01:05 PM   #1
Zed
BANNED

BdG Whirlwind

I'll throw up some werds and add pix later.

Woke up Friday to a downpour around 0200 and just stayed up since my alarm was at 0300. Got loaded up and left S OC to catch up w the rain about El Cajon/Alpine and some showers over the mountains. Imperial side was sunny w a W wind that blew us down.

At Campo Beluga the W was blowin good and driving sand. We set up and chilled, waiting out the wind. The caretaker came over to tell us just last week a kayak was blown away, and to make sure the yaks were...I stopped him and said I knew them and my dad was there too. It all connected and he remembered me (and my dad) and that I knew the group. He finished by saying just make sure to pull the yaks up. Just last [Thurs] night a boat was blown away. They didn't heed the warning and were convinced the mooring would hold just fine. Friday morning, no boat.

In the late afternoon the wind switched abruptly and came outta the E. We launched and paddled into it to the S point and picked at some fish. I got weeded by a pretty good leopard, but the rest were the smaller suspects, triggers, sierra, spotties. The wind flipped back right at sunset so we had to paddle against it both ways. We were making headway back, pretty close to shore trying to hide behind the dunes, and I was still dragging a kroc. I was thinking it was just added drag. but I didn't want to stop to pull it in so I let it ride. Then it went off and after a pretty good fight in 5-8ft of water up comes a ~12lb totuava. Pretty cool bottom of the 9th walk-off. We ate some fish and hit the rack.

Saturday was glass and we took off for the island. The fishing was good along the backside and after a while Yakhanded dialed in on the yellows and picked off a few. We worked a little specific area for an hour or so for wide open fishing on sierra, yellows, bonito, gulf grouper, triggers and pargos. I got a PB barred pargo and a new species a colorado. The barred was just over the size I want to drag up into my lap, so while getting the gaff he slacked off and dropped the hook. I got the gaff in and touched him, but it swam off. The other pargo wasn't so lucky and turned into ceviche and sauteed fillets. Yakhanded got the rose pargo for the trifecta. By 1300 a nice NE wind picked up blowing us comfortably back to camp. Spent the rest of Sat eating and chilling.

Sunday I set the alarm early. 0400 the W was blowing pretty good. Went back to sleep and got up at 0500. It was blowing harder and the marine layer was flowing over the tops of the mountains. We changed plans and took off in the LandCruiser to explore the area between Beluga and Sacrificio. Had some fun wheelin and cross country driving but the fishing was a skunk. By 1300 we were back at camp and the wind flipped to a more NE. We launched quick for the S and found good fishing there on yellows, bonito, sierra, and gulf grouper. The wind was 10-15. Fishable but a bit irritating on the fast wet drifts. I got 3 more gulf groupers (new species for me) and we did pretty well finding fish but no leopards. The afternoon we ate fish and chilled again. Dusk the wind came down and Yakhanded launched for some troll runs out front. He managed 5spots, 2 triggers and a bonefish trolling a chubby crankbait right at dark.

Monday the W was up a daybreak, but came down as we packed up. Monday would have been another good day. We split by 0930 and made good time to the border which was 2 hours of 97F slow torture. Got home around 2000.

Excellent quick trip. I knew the odds were bad hitting a window on a short trip but we did as well as could be expected. Ready for the next trip. Yakhanded is ready to drop everything to do it again and so am I.

I'm sure yakhanded will add some. I'm sure he has some kind words for iceman re cousin RayRay.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:13 PM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

Whoa you guys actually went down there!! Good for you guys!

Sounds like you guys had better fishing than Icemans group....
Old 05-26-2015, 01:14 PM   #3
Denis_Ruso

Great write up. Sounds like the exact kind of trip I'd like to take.

No pictures?
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:24 PM   #4
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Whoa you guys actually went down there!! Good for you guys!

Sounds like you guys had better fishing than Icemans group....
SOMEBODY had to keep it going. Tony, it should of been us too. Next year.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:31 PM   #5
Iceman
Administrator

cool 1sts!
Old 05-26-2015, 02:26 PM   #6
YakHanded
Thread Killer - sorry

I don't want to add too much because that summed up the awesome trip pretty darn well.

Unbelievable fishing down there, realize we got lucky with conditions but the variety and speed of the fishing is on its own level from what i've experienced. See why its such a popular destination for kayak fishing - I said something to zed down there that the more I think about it nails it on the head. Its like a kayak fishing sandbox - everything seems in range, its all cast n crank keeping you engaged and you just never know whats on the other end of the line.

Lost a ton of tackle, learned a ton and caught a shitload of fish - most of which firsts. (sierra, rose pargo, trigger, gulf grouper, bone fish) also most wide open yellowtail fishing that I've ever been a part of (for almost an hour).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post

I'm sure yakhanded will add some. I'm sure he has some kind words for iceman re cousin RayRay.
Iceman, thanks to your sketchy experience I was leery of stingrays - I went in the water a ton, normally it was so clear that i had no issues... but one time it was a little stirred up as I was walking in, i was super paranoid about them and was walking very slow... as i set my foot down softly between a couple rocks i felt the slimy body under my big toe and it jetted out from under and swam away right in front of me...but no sting

Zed has the pictures and they are good ones sure he will add em soon

Tight lines!
YakHanded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:50 PM   #7
Zed
BANNED

Some pix:
Campo. Ready to go. Just waiting on the wind.

Saturday morning. Gotta GO!

After some coffee squeezins

Pargo Colorado

A nice bag. The rose died early, before the others came to lunch.

These guys...
Even w the greater range, these guys demonstrated that a full days paddle w wind and extended drag up the beach is still preferable to launching a small boat. First they had to wait for high tide to reach the beach and then the older of the 3 gentlemen takes a header in the cobbles getting out, and comes up gimpy. Then the wind/waves plays with them getting it on the trailer. Then this guy talks them into letting them tow it out w his buggy.

They had it set up w their diesel 3500 and a long tow strap, but somehow thought the buggy w 2000ccs max was gonna do it. It didn't. So they went back to the truck/camper. This is the camper w the strap attacked and a long length to the boat trailer. They then just drove the camper right out the Beluga road.

I commented this can't go well. Somethings gonna break. It's gonna rip the axle off or something. Sure enough, after getting it clear of the water, it dug into the sand and BANG ripped the tongue/dolly wheels right off. Here they are, "Huh. What do you think we do now?"

They got it bound together w straps and hauled it up the berm. Don't know how they fared up the road, but we never saw them again.

This was one of our finds while wheelin. Nice cut to the shore and the cobbles S of the point. Really interesting structure channels and pools around here. Tide was bottoming out and we couldn't find the fish.

Some lunch. Pargo ceviche salad over [unintentionally] crushed tortillas. Delicioso.

Gulf Grouper

Yakhanded's nice GG.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:34 PM   #8
cabojohn
PROBATION

coolio

I was going to ask Anthony a question but I got my answer looking at the pics. I guess it is better to paddle Baja cuz I see two OK's.

Bonita?
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:37 PM   #9
DanaPT

that looks like a great trip. stoked for you.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:48 PM   #10
YakHanded
Thread Killer - sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabojohn View Post
coolio

I was going to ask Anthony a question but I got my answer looking at the pics. I guess it is better to paddle Baja cuz I see two OK's.

Bonita?
hahahah John you heard?! lol didn't have time/funds to get the new ride dialed in before the trip... soon enough

Fish bag came in handy again - got some scrubbin to do but will have it for you next outing thanks again man
Old 05-26-2015, 07:15 PM   #11
tattuna

Right on, cool to see you guys got into em! Nice variety. I don't wanna wait another year to go back. Hopefully I'll be able to afford a new yak by next month and star planning. Thanks fer the motivation!
Old 05-27-2015, 05:30 AM   #12
GregAndrew

Great short trip. Nice variety.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:48 AM   #13
AirborneYak

Man, what an awesome trip!
AirborneYak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:49 AM   #14
bigbarrels

Great trip! We briefly talked to you guys on the water on Saturday before and after you got into those yellowtail. Saturday was the best day out of the three for us. Heavy winds on thurs and Friday.

How amazing where all those turtles and manta rays on Saturday?

Last edited by bigbarrels; 05-27-2015 at 07:23 AM.
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:26 AM   #15
blitzburgh

That looks awesome
Old 05-27-2015, 08:03 AM   #16
Zed
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarrels View Post
Great trip! We briefly talked to you guys on the water on Saturday before and after you got into those yellowtail. Saturday was the best day out of the three for us. Heavy winds on thurs and Friday.

How amazing where all those turtles and manta rays on Saturday?
Oh ok. I was wondering if we'd see some evidence of you guys. Saturday was as good as it gets. Calm, warm and a nice NE breeze to blow us home. Oh and biters.

The jumping rays (mobula) were more common than I remember. Formations of em flopping around. I saw the biggest turtle in my life, too. From SoCal to Cabo the turtles I've seen have been about as big as a circle made w your arms out front. This one was 3x that at least. Just a massive dinosaur. On our 4x exploration we also found a pile of eggs that had been dug up and eaten by humans. Darn humans.

I'm ready for another run.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:11 AM   #17
cabojohn
PROBATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakHanded View Post
hahahah John you heard?! lol didn't have time/funds to get the new ride dialed in before the trip... soon enough

Fish bag came in handy again - got some scrubbin to do but will have it for you next outing thanks again man
ha- yeah, I was just funnin with you Anthony. I heard you got a new Hobie.
Glad you guys had a great trip. You were in great hands with Mr Baja Guide Troy.
btw- Yer still invited to the east cape pnf.
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:43 PM   #18
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Glad you guys had a great trip. You were in great hands with Mr Baja Guide Troy.
Yo Zed, does Anthony understand that guide fees increase significantly when I the client has one of those peddle thingys?
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:49 PM   #19
YakHanded
Thread Killer - sorry

Quote:
I did, gonna be peddling with the rest of the brigade hahahah keeping the prowler though love that thing. We had an epic time and you're right, the drives were like a schooling in Baja 101 guy is a leyenda..he didnt even get annoyed with the constant questions - or at least he doesnt show it well HA! Man east cape pnf sounds incredible you just tell me when and I am there

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossman View Post
Yo Zed, does Anthony understand that guide fees increase significantly when I the client has one of those peddle thingys?
Damnit - now I'm even going to be broke - r than I am now after purchasing that thing
Old 06-03-2015, 06:25 PM   #20
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Cool report, I like wheelin about as much as fishin, would be fun to explore around down there via 4x4.
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote