Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
T Bone

Sabiki Stories

I was reminiscing about an Incident that happened to me last spring.I was fishing in the PM most days since I was working local(Scripps hospital) and staying in hotel circle off the 8.I was making bait after twilight when the bioluminescence was kicking in.Lots of spanish last year so was going for greenies.I was pulling up the sabiki loaded with macs when there was a purple-glowing explosion.A seabass nailed a mack right at the surface!I ended up hooking and subsequently farming a fish that night because I had not(and still havent)perfected my potholing technique(straight spectra)That night is what fueled my fire for last year.
I know that many of you have some great sabiki stories including landing big fish on them.I would be greatly honored if you share these tales with us.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:49 PM   #2
swank

I was hoping there would of been more action on this thread, the unexpected stories are usually the best.

I was fishing Balboa Pier for macks last year and brought up a loaded sabiki of Calico's (7), none were over 6" but was still cool to see. I also caught a live squid on a tipped piece of squid, very weird.
swank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:33 PM   #3
flydigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by swank View Post
I was hoping there would of been more action on this thread, the unexpected stories are usually the best.

I was fishing Balboa Pier for macks last year and brought up a loaded sabiki of Calico's (7), none were over 6" but was still cool to see. I also caught a live squid on a tipped piece of squid, very weird.
Those squid go after the sabikis pretty good... A few months ago I brought up a good 30 squirts in about 5 minutes on one. Was going to use the "squid jig" but the sabiki was working just fine!
flydigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
taggermike

I wish I had a cool story to put in here but the only big thing I have ever caught on a sabiki was myself. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:41 PM   #5
flydigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
I was reminiscing about an Incident that happened to me last spring.I was fishing in the PM most days since I was working local(Scripps hospital) and staying in hotel circle off the 8.I was making bait after twilight when the bioluminescence was kicking in.Lots of spanish last year so was going for greenies.I was pulling up the sabiki loaded with macs when there was a purple-glowing explosion.A seabass nailed a mack right at the surface!I ended up hooking and subsequently farming a fish that night because I had not(and still havent)perfected my potholing technique(straight spectra)That night is what fueled my fire for last year.
I know that many of you have some great sabiki stories including landing big fish on them.I would be greatly honored if you share these tales with us.
I've got a similar story, fishing some kelp and struggling to find macks near sunrise I finally got into some spanish pretty good. Pulled up my first 5 and saw a big shadow and flash following below. Stopped reeling leaving them about 10 ft down when a nice 30#ish WSB just inhales the top one and takes off. 12 lb test was no match, let it rip out about 100yds of line off before it let go of the bait. Was exciting to say the least! Could not find any more WSB after that, of course.
flydigital is offline   Reply With Quote