Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 05-30-2020, 06:57 PM   #1
matthew7!

05/29 morning at La Jolla

Did exactly have a plan on what I wanted to do so I went straight out and made some bait. Dropped one mackerel down on a Carolina rig and fished a tube bait on my light rod. Drifted around right of the corner in 75ish ft. Meet a guy he had caught a nice halibut, overall five kelp bass and a lot of drifting for bigger fish. Didn’t take any pictures on this trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
matthew7! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 07:10 PM   #2
TJones

Good Looking out

Think we met up? I was on PA. Nothing to report, well maybe? Lots of life around now. All the stars are about to line up. I think this could be a very good summer. I was on the water till the sun went down. It actually never came out till about 5:00 Pm. Dolphins appeared at dusk and hunted well into the dark. Lots of bait around. Water looked a lot better and the temperature slightly came up. Almost holding at 65 degrees, just short of that magic 68 we are looking for. . Didn't see or hear of anybody else hooking up except for that flatty. Gonna try it again this week. It looks like there will be some nice sunny days in store for the later part of next week.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 08:35 PM   #3
FISH11

LJ 5-29-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew7! View Post
Meet a guy he had caught a nice halibut, overall five kelp bass and a lot of drifting for bigger fish. Didn’t take any pictures on this trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I was there it was the oddest thing to see. I'm talking to the guy, tell him some stories about LJ, cause he said, it was his first trip to LJ to kayak fish. I believe he said he usually fished San Pedro area. Anyway while I'm fly line drifting a mac and seeing marks on the bottom near bait I started jigging a colt sniper but was not getting any reaction even though I could see my jig dropping on the good marks on the FF. Then he's on a fish and bring it up thinking he has a Calico he has a net ready and as it get near the surface he realizes it's a large Hali and he starts screaming "Oh man it's a Hali a big Hali". as he's now reaching for a gaff the Hali come off the colt sniper he had on the end of a sabiki with 40lb main branch. He now takes off the sabiki and sends the colt sniper down again, the whole time I'm still trying to get something on my colt sniper. After only a couple minutes he's on again and fighting it. When he gets it to the surface, it's another large Hali. He looses his gaff while trying to gaff it, so his buddy comes over and helps him out by gaffing the Hali and passing it back to him. Not only was it too much to see two Hali come up maybe 20 yards away, I would find it really hard to believe it was the same Hali, since in the time it took him to remove the sabiki, we provably drifted 40'-50' from the first spot. We were laughing when he said "Funny I would have to come to LJ to catch what guys fish for were I normally fish". It's not the first time and I'm sure it won't be the last , but strange things happen while kayak fishing LJ.
Attached Images

Last edited by FISH11; 05-31-2020 at 11:39 AM. Reason: add another picture, pict replacement
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 02:30 AM   #4
Oolie
Headshots Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
Yeah, I was there it was the oddest thing to see. I'm talking to the guy, tell him some stories about LJ, cause he said, it was his first trip to LJ to kayak fish. I believe he said he usually fished San Pedro area. Anyway while I'm fly line drifting a mac and seeing marks on the bottom near bait I started jigging a colt sniper but was not getting any reaction even though I could see my jig dropping on the good marks on the FF. Then he's on a fish and bring it up thinking he has a Calico he has a net ready and as it get near the surface he realizes it's a large Hali and he starts screaming "Oh man it's a Hali a big Hali". as he's now reaching for a gaff the Hali come off the colt sniper he had on the end of a sabiki with 40lb main branch. He now takes off the sabiki and sends the colt sniper down again, the whole time I'm still trying to get something on my colt sniper. After only a couple minutes he's on again and fighting it. When he gets it to the surface, it's another large Hali. He looses his gaff while trying to gaff it, so his buddy comes over and helps him out by gaffing the Hali and passing it back to him. Not only was it too much to see two Hali come up maybe 20 yards away, I would find it really hard to believe it was the same Hali, since in the time it took him to remove the sabiki, we provably drifted 40'-50' from the first spot. We were laughing when he said "Funny I would have to come to LJ to catch what guys fish for were I normally fish". It's not the first time and I'm sure it won't be the last , but strange things happen while kayak fishing LJ.
Cool story.
Oolie is offline   Reply With Quote