Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2009, 08:41 AM   #1
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

Quick FF Q...

Just installed my FF and I remember reading something about putting some water in the hull so the transducer is under water. Do I need to do this when I head out?

Thanks, Eric
467echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:57 PM   #2
bigderel
UberMember

Some guys glue their transducer directly to the inside of the hull, some install a small 'well' that holds a little water so you can put the transducer in there.

I got some foam (the waterproof type) from some packaging, cut a hole the shape of my transducer and gooped it to the inside of my hull. Before I head out, I put a little water in there and insert the transducer into the foam cutout.

The problem with gooping it to the hull is that you can get little bubbles in the adhesive that throw the readings off. My first kayak was gooped directly like that but I had no issue with bad readings - I opted for the foam well on my second and third kayaks.
bigderel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:05 PM   #3
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Can't wait to use my FF for the first time, I'm sure my yak will be overflowing with fish on my paddle in!