Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2010, 06:25 PM   #1
Jimmyz123

What happened to the Fred Hall Show?

For the last 5 years I have given raving reports of the Del Mar Fred Hall Shows, well, not this year. Not sure if it was because I can't fish for a while due to my arm, or if I just did not see what I wanted to see.

My dad and I were there less than two hours, and I really wanted to stay until after 7 P.M. so I could hear Cpt. Nelson speak. Sorry dude my arm was bugging me and the show was kind of dull. My wife and I may go back tomorrow so I may hear Nelson speak as well as Jim Sammons, and see if there is a deal or two I can't pass up.

Here are the deals I did find. 3 Uni-Butters for $20, not bad. I donated $5 to the DFG and got a great Fish directory for fresh and saltwater fish. That's all I bought, yes I walked out of there spending less than $30. My dad paid for parking. O.K. I did pay $12 for the ticket. So $42 total on the day, still not bad for me.

I did have a great talk with the guys from OEX about the Kayaks and setups. Randy Jones the crafty lefty talked to me for a great length of time about the rehab on my arm, that guy is top notch if you ask me.

If you went and found it to be more exciting than what I'm posting here please tell us. Again it may be due to me not being able to fish any time soon, but I think there was something really missing this year. What do you think?
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:27 PM   #2
fishinkid2010

Thats a shame you didn't find it as appealing as previous years.

I too noticed it was a bit more dull than previous years. I still liked it though, and I managed to spend $130! haha... couldn't pass up the deal I found on a Calstar Grafighter 800H blank.
The one nice thing I noticed that was kind of nice, was that there were fewer "Sham Wow" salesmen...

If you go again check out the seminars the guys from Fastlane Sailing Center put on. They've got some top notch info!
fishinkid2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:37 PM   #3
wmbeusch
Wild Man John

Send a message via Yahoo to wmbeusch
first time last time

Boring is all I can say. I drove from LA and it was not worth it at all. The guys from OEX where great to talk to. next year it will be the LB show.
wmbeusch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:38 PM   #4
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinkid2010 View Post
Thats a shame you didn't find it as appealing as previous years.

I too noticed it was a bit more dull than previous years. I still liked it though, and I managed to spend $130! haha... couldn't pass up the deal I found on a Calstar Grafighter 800H blank.
The one nice thing I noticed that was kind of nice, was that there were fewer "Sham Wow" salesmen...

If you go again check out the seminars the guys from Fastlane Sailing Center put on. They've got some top notch info!
Yes, I agree that the Sham Wow guys notbeing there was great. I kind of liked the design of the path this year as apposed to the last few years.

If I go back I may stop at this one booth that had twin tail plastics for 8 bucks, but you got like 50 of them.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:43 PM   #5
Lets_Fish

This was the first time for me to attend the Del Mar show, have always attended the Long Beach show in the past.

I was not overly impressed with the show but do not blame the show for that more the current state of the economy. I wish that there would have been more "fishing/electronic" venders (really only one building had them; fishing gear and I did not see any electronics; FF or VHF).

The guys from OEX were great. They are very knowledgable about their kayak gear and other products and a very helpful staff. (Wish I could get one of those Stealth-14's, cery cool).

The guys from WarBaits are there with their products along with many other venders. I'm sure Sunday should bring out some deals (lets hope for those going).

I did get to met the bug master Sherm and his wife (very nice people, so make sure you stop by his booth as say hi).

I did purchase some plastics, leadheads and a net for the yak. Now I can't wait to get the line wet once again!
Lets_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:47 PM   #6
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

This would be the first year the lad and I have not made it to the show...

Feel bad since it always lands on his b-day, but each year I have seen the deals get slimmer and slimmer. The only saving grace has been him spinning wheels and winning something...he already owns the trout pond and the archery tent.

To me, it has lost its appeal. Blame it on the economy and blame it on whatever you want, bottom line, it has lost its appeal. Give us some smokin' deals, and don't charge for admission and guess what, people will spend more. With the cost of parking, and the entrance fee, you are already down some cashola...not like race track season where you can win some back.

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:57 PM   #7
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmbeusch View Post
Boring is all I can say. I drove from LA and it was not worth it at all. The guys from OEX where great to talk to. next year it will be the LB show.
I'm going to save up now for the LB show and not attend the del mar next year.

Agreed, the OEX guys were the best part of the show
Old 03-27-2010, 09:02 PM   #8
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman View Post
This would be the first year the lad and I have not made it to the show...

Feel bad since it always lands on his b-day, but each year I have seen the deals get slimmer and slimmer. The only saving grace has been him spinning wheels and winning something...he already owns the trout pond and the archery tent.

To me, it has lost its appeal. Blame it on the economy and blame it on whatever you want, bottom line, it has lost its appeal. Give us some smokin' deals, and don't charge for admission and guess what, people will spend more. With the cost of parking, and the entrance fee, you are already down some cashola...not like race track season where you can win some back.
Imagine if they had $3 parking, $6 admission, that place would be packed. I'm also thinking that circus thing there also took away from the event.

I'm gonna try and go tomorrow and see some seminars, and see if there are some deals.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:06 PM   #9
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

TMan said it right. This show was not worth the price of admission. The parking charge was just an insult. If the show promoters want people to come, they have to offer something we want to see. For me, it was not there this year.

I went the first day. Next year, I will wait for advance reports before I consider making the trip.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:30 AM   #10
old_rookie

Even after reading these posts, I still plan to go since I haven't been to either show and plan to stop at the OEX booth - especially with the good reports on them. I do plan to park down the street and walk in - yes, I'm that cheap - but it is a nice day and good exercise.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:35 AM   #11
Rob929

Wow.. glad I didn't pony up for parking and admission. (which sounded a little steep) I thought about going friday- went fishing instead. It was pretty rough out, and the launch surf was up too. After no lunch, and being a little tired- the swell got to me and I got completely sick. Maybe I should have gone to the show!

Sounds like they will need to make some changes to turn things around in years to come.
Rob929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:35 PM   #12
Jimmyz123

I went back to the show today as I was walking to the front this guy who was ahead of me asks if I'm going to the show. I say yes, and he thgen offers me a free ticket. I took him up on it sure. I proceeded to the area where Jim Sammons was giving his seminar, a very cool seminar by the way. After that I went looking for some deals on line. Turners had some O.K. prices. I hing out picked up Uni-Better and called it a day. I spent $40 on the day, that's not too bad. I was for sure a great weather day to be there.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:28 PM   #13
old_rookie

It was more than I expected - have never been to one of these shows so I have nothing to compare to. I thought it was great to see OEX guys right at the entrance. Talked to Rik about kayaks, roof racks - he offered great advice - good guy. Plenty of boats to see and climb around. I thought it was cool to have the jumping-in-the-water dogs. The seminars were ok - there was on next to the Hobie booth - one seminar was hard to hear. Sat in on the swimbait seminar - not really much info on swimbaits. A lot of sales booths - a lot that had nothing to do with fishing, boating or hunting. Did anyone else see the foldable boat?
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:33 PM   #14
Anthony179
A.T.

Went out to the Del Mar show for the first time. I like the Long Beach set up better. Did stop at OEX and talked to Doug for a while about fishing LJ. Never fished LJ but after talking to him, I'll give it a try some day.
Anthony179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:41 PM   #15
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_rookie View Post
Did anyone else see the foldable boat?
A friend of mine has one, they are pretty cool.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:30 PM   #16
Jim Sammons LJKF

The show did really feel slower than years past, which if you are in a booth can really make it draggggggggg.
Thanks those of you that stopped by and said hello, yeah this show is always slower than Long Beach but I guess because I have been doing this show for so many years and get to sleep in my own bed each night I prefer it.
I get to catch up with people that I see at the show each year as well as so many former clients. It really is not to bad to sit there and talk fishing all day, there are much worse things to have to do.
Thanks Sarcastic for helping me tear down my booth, I was out of there in record time.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:51 PM   #17
Jimmyz123

I have not been to the Long Beach show yet, but I plan on going next year. I'm sure they both have their advantages, in thinking about it, Jim's right, we get to go to a show each year that is dedicated to fishing, now what's wrong with that? Nothing. Looking forward to seeing all of you out on the water.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:05 PM   #18
MrPatrick

jim

Jim, you are welcome. You must have mental block with my name as you have never actually called me by it. That's ok I know when you say "dude" or "man" that you are refering to me.

Just busting your chops, you must get so many people that want to talk to you.

Patrick
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:06 AM   #19
Jim Sammons LJKF

I have a terrrible memory for names, and though I was 99% sure it was Patrick, I hate to call anyone by the wrong name, Thus everyone becomes dude.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:11 AM   #20
Jimmyz123

Dude is an easy name to remember.