Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2013, 09:45 PM   #1
Amish Ed

I've fished NPH on many Memorial Days. Fish the spotties around the moored boats and the traffic won't be bad. It's the main channels where you'll have issues. Or too fish the kelp, stay on the channel edges as you make your way out. Hang a left out of the harbor and you can't miss the kelp. I like to start about a 1/2-1 mile south of the harbor.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:48 AM   #2
FishNinjaY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
I've fished NPH on many Memorial Days. Fish the spotties around the moored boats and the traffic won't be bad. It's the main channels where you'll have issues. Or too fish the kelp, stay on the channel edges as you make your way out. Hang a left out of the harbor and you can't miss the kelp. I like to start about a 1/2-1 mile south of the harbor.
Whoa.. good points! I was planning on doing Newport on Monday also, with my son. Pick up some bait to troll, but maybe head out a mile or 2 to deeper waters and look for rockfish? Maybe with the boat traffic, I'll just stick to the rockfish plan and head out there? Maybe hit the kelp on the way back in? Do you think the boat traffic will be a problem that far out? I'm going with my 9-yr old son, and would rather not have to deal with a$$holes waking us as they speed by every few minutes. Thanks..
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:54 AM   #3
rpd

I have a couple friends who fished the barge yesterday. You shouldn't be disappointed!
rpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:01 AM   #4
FishNinjaY

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpd View Post
I have a couple friends who fished the barge yesterday. You shouldn't be disappointed!
cool.. you mean just around the bait barge? trolling for halibut? thanks for the tip.
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
rpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishNinjaY View Post
cool.. you mean just around the bait barge? trolling for halibut? thanks for the tip.
yup lol. actually a 5 inch big hammer and he caught a 23.5 butt. Other friend made bait of the smelt kind and first drop was a 22 sea bashhhh... Good luck! and post a report!! Reports of calicos non stop yesterday. I'm sure a couple strips of squid on a 3 inch big hammer and you and your Boy will have a blast!
rpd is offline   Reply With Quote