Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2015, 05:35 PM   #1
Murray

Spectra

Went 0 for 2 today. Got kelped on both fish with mono. Using 500 style reels and notice that alot of guys use smaller reels. Can I use mono as a backing and add spectra on top? If so, how much and what test would be recommended. One angler on the beach suggested a 6 ft. fluro leader at 30 lb test. Wondering if the fluro or mono leader will break when it hits the kelp. Any suggestions appreciated.
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:10 PM   #2
Caseym

This is a really good question and Im curious to hear everyone's input. Ive heard 65 lb. braid with 30 lb. fluoro leader. Trying to go that route myself. Dunno about the mono backing.
-Mazer
Caseym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:17 PM   #3
bubblehide

Murray, mono heat up and weakens pretty easily, like being run through kelp. Floro is much more abrasion resistant. Spectra, when moving cuts through kelp, thus lands more fish. So the idea the guy on the beach tried to convey to you, is right on the money. If you load your reels with spectra, and tie on a short topshot of floro, and a fish takes you into the kelp, you can either reel in, and slowly cut through the kelp; or if you are unable to reel in, loosen your drag and allow the fish to take line, thus slowly cutting through the kelp. The idea is to allow your line to keep moving, in one direction of the other, and let the spectra do it's job.

As far as small reels, todays reels are geared very differently than those Pens of yesteryear, and as such, with spectra they have very good line capacity, better and more drag capability, and with the taller gears, more torque to help fight the fish.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:04 PM   #4
iethinker

mono?

HMMM...What weight mono? Did the line snap or did you pull the hook? Did you give-up and cut it off? I have seen people pull YT from the kelp with 20-lb mono. I do prefer the braid to flouro approach myself. Keep the line moving as bubblehide says.
iethinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:06 PM   #5
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray View Post
Went 0 for 2 today. Got kelped on both fish with mono. Using 500 style reels and notice that alot of guys use smaller reels. Can I use mono as a backing and add spectra on top? If so, how much and what test would be recommended. One angler on the beach suggested a 6 ft. fluro leader at 30 lb test. Wondering if the fluro or mono leader will break when it hits the kelp. Any suggestions appreciated.
Sure you can use mono as backing if you can't afford it...but if you can afford to do so it would be more appropriate to use solid spectra for your backing. I like to use 40 floro, just so you can pull harder to keep that fish outta kelp and away from seals.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:06 PM   #6
FISH11

Braid is awesome, not only light, thinner, stronger, but it cut through the kelp. You can feel the braid cut through the stringers as you feel the pop of each one being cut. I use 65lb braid on the entire spool and then attach a 6-8' leader of fluorocarbon in 40lb test. I tie the two using an Alberto knot (modified albright, collins) what ever you want to call it. It's just about the same knot.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:28 AM   #7
Murray

Thanks for the info guys. Any braid color and manufacturer suggestions?
Old 07-01-2015, 05:57 AM   #8
bubblehide

Murray, if someone doesn't cover it, I'll post up this evening, I am short on time right now. But keep in mind, it's not all about the line, you will also want a parabolic rod; I'll go over that also if someone else doesn't.

Gotta run!
Old 07-01-2015, 06:23 AM   #9
alfsteur

No mono backing for me, I lost a big YT a while back with that set up. I'm certainly no expert, but 65lb braid to 40lb fluoro worked well for me.
alfsteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:38 AM   #10
619-SWIM-DOG

50lb Braid to two arms lengths of 40lb Floro.................
619-SWIM-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:44 PM   #11
bubblehide

Murray, most guys that fish sport boats want white or yellow spectra, so they can easily see and follow their line; a few fish blue so it blends in with the water better. But pretty much everyone uses floro topshots. Most kayak guys use green, as they want it to blend into the usually shallow waters they fish (compared to the open water sport boat fisherman); again with floro topshots.

Mono stretches, and back in the day, when everyone was fishing mono, or long mono topshots (100 yards or more) stiffer non-parabolic rods were all the rage, like the Calstar Grafighters. However, spectra does not stretch, and a short floro topshot really does not provide any stretch, so fisherman have turned to parbolic rods (Seeker happened to be on top of this while Calstar was still stuck on their Graphfighters, and subsequently gained in the market). So why is all this important, well you need some give when fighting a fish, for 2 reasons, one, it's just plan hard on you. 2, so you don't go pulling hooks; and to maintain tension when a fish thrashes it's head back and forth. So now, with short topshots, the rod is now doing what stretchy mono did. Don't get me wrong, you still want a rod with good back bone, but with a softer/slower action instead of a fast action as the Graphfighters are known for.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:47 PM   #12
Gunner58

I agree with what everyone has said above. I generally have all braid (power pro green) on all of my rods ranging from 20lbs to 50lbs and always have a floro leader about 6 to 10 feet. You feel every bump in the sand and the lightest bites. I will never go back to mono.
Gunner58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:27 PM   #13
yak-fishing-socal
kayak fishing socal

30lbs to 65lbs braid with a 6 to 10 foot topshot of mono 20lbs /30lbs. gives a little when they strike hard Attached with a double uni knot

Sent from my G4 using Tapatalk
yak-fishing-socal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:28 AM   #14
Murray

Sabiki for La Jolla

One last question guys. What color and size of sabiki is everyone using for La Jolla macs. Thanks again.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:53 AM   #15
YakDout
Brandon

Number 4 or 6 (4 hook) hyabusa squid sabiki. Multiple color mini squid sabiki that works.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 03:56 PM   #16
JayB619

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
Braid is awesome, not only light, thinner, stronger, but it cut through the kelp. You can feel the braid cut through the stringers as you feel the pop of each one being cut. I use 65lb braid on the entire spool and then attach a 6-8' leader of fluorocarbon in 40lb test. I tie the two using an Alberto knot (modified albright, collins) what ever you want to call it. It's just about the same knot.
Same set up for me with a 2/0 ringed owner hook on the business end
JayB619 is offline   Reply With Quote