Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-09-2016, 08:14 PM   #21
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskal311 View Post
"Just because you could it doesn't mean you should". LoL picked up a 2012 titan recently.... god dam thing gets 9mpg without any cargo... god damit. LoL

Amsoil. And get it tuned. I get 18 streets 27 highway. Daily driver.

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/tita...1816?_k=js8cxn

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 08:18 PM   #22
Ggiannig89

Another Happy Toyota owner here. I've got two actually. 1st is an 08 with 240,000 on it with no work other then maintenance. The other a 4X4 2013 50k.
Strong motor and no problems.
In the end get what's going to get the job done and make you feel good about driving.
Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:05 AM   #23
DanaPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakfisherman View Post
My 4x4 toyota saved my life in a recent roll over on the ortega. I just surpassed the 300K mark.
Yani, that is a serious wreck. I'm glad you are okay and able to fish another day!
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:34 AM   #24
mrJB

See what happens when you are COOKNG AND DRIVING!
Old 11-10-2016, 04:52 PM   #25
Raskal311

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
Amsoil. And get it tuned. I get 18 streets 27 highway. Daily driver.

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/tita...1816?_k=js8cxn
The advertised mpg is 13/18 and a pretty modifier rig I'm not going to improve my mpg by much but I'll definitely check that out.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:22 PM   #26
2-Stix

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris138 View Post
Toyota Tacoma: made in San Antonio, Texas

Ford 150: made in Mexico
Yup! Most toyotas are made in america.
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 05:39 PM   #27
YakDout
Brandon

Made and assembled two different things. But I back toyota all the way.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 08:20 AM   #28
Mr_Fixit

Ok. So there are tons of recommendations. Let me ask a more fundamental question since I dont know squat about trucks. Yes, I am researching but its kinda like - I dont know what question to ask.

What equipment is needed on a truck to tow a small boat? By small, I mean something like this. http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/boa/5861753200.html

I was looking at Ford's website and they have so many options its overwhelming! Transmission cooling systems, break connections, and a million other things that simply went over my software engineering head.

I want to buy a boat, get it to the launch, and get some damn fish on deck. All this complexity is frustrating. LOL
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 08:31 AM   #29
taggermike

You don't need a full sized truck to pull a small boat. But a full sized bed is nice for carry yaks n small boats.

I'll drop a thought that others have not mentioned. Baja can be brutal on trucks. Auto accidents, crappy roads, hitting live stock, possibly losing a truck to Mexican law enforcement, and the strangely common fate of getting stuck in the sand with a rising tide.

A buddy of mine had an amazing Sports Mobile custom 4x4 camper van. It didn't break his bank but he found he was feeling anxious about the value of the vehicle. He sold it and got a older dodge 4x4 diesel truck. Thing runs like a top but is ugly as shit with dents, Bondo, and mismatch body panels. It can go any where, tow any thing, parts are available in Baja, and we never attract unwanted attention from law enforcement.

His logic of getting this truck was that if some thing bad happened he could grab his ID, a few valuables, and walk away from it w/o being our a bunch for and broken hearted.

This might not apply to you if you're mostly in the US. But when I see guys in Baja with epic trucks that they still owe 50k on I wonder how they'd handle abandoning it. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 08:35 AM   #30
Mr_Fixit

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
You don't need a full sized truck to pull a small boat. But a full sized bed is nice for carry yaks n small boats.

I'll drop a thought that others have not mentioned. Baja can be brutal on trucks. Auto accidents, crappy roads, hitting live stock, possibly losing a truck to Mexican law enforcement, and the strangely common fate of getting stuck in the sand with a rising tide.

A buddy of mine had an amazing Sports Mobile custom 4x4 camper van. It didn't break his bank but he found he was feeling anxious about the value of the vehicle. He sold it and got a older dodge 4x4 diesel truck. Thing runs like a top but is ugly as shit with dents, Bondo, and mismatch body panels. It can go any where, tow any thing, parts are available in Baja, and we never attract unwanted attention from law enforcement.

His logic of getting this truck was that if some thing bad happened he could grab his ID, a few valuables, and walk away from it w/o being our a bunch for and broken hearted.

This might not apply to you if you're mostly in the US. But when I see guys in Baja with epic trucks that they still owe 50k on I wonder how they'd handle abandoning it. Mike
You noted precisely why I HATE going to Mexico.
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:04 AM   #31
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Looking at the boat you want to pull, you might just need a full sized truck. Not really to tow it but to STOP it safely in a tight spot. As far as Mexico goes, YOUR attitude is EVERYTHING. If you need SAFE traveling hints for Baja pm me, I'll be glad to help you in the right direction. Tight Lines and good hunting for your truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Fixit View Post
You noted precisely why I HATE going to Mexico.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 07:00 AM   #32
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post

I insure my truck every time I go to mexico. I pay roughly $100 for full coverage and insures my truck up to 25k. At minimum you need liability down there. You dont want to get caught up in a accident down there without that, so you have to get some type of insurance anyway.

Here is a frequently asked question straight from baja bound website where I get my policy. Read the first sentence of number 9.

YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 10:36 AM   #33
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Fixit View Post
Ok. So there are tons of recommendations. Let me ask a more fundamental question since I dont know squat about trucks. Yes, I am researching but its kinda like - I dont know what question to ask.

What equipment is needed on a truck to tow a small boat? By small, I mean something like this. http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/boa/5861753200.html

I was looking at Ford's website and they have so many options its overwhelming! Transmission cooling systems, break connections, and a million other things that simply went over my software engineering head.

I want to buy a boat, get it to the launch, and get some damn fish on deck. All this complexity is frustrating. LOL
You'd probably want a 1/2 ton with class 3 hitch, for that striper. I got a 3.5L F150 ecoboost, so far so good. V6 twin turbo tows more than my previous V8 5.4L I am sure the 2.7L would be fine for that striper. I heard good stuff about the Ram 1500 eco diesel too.
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 04:34 PM   #34
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

MB Sprinter

The short wheel base of the two options is long enough to slide my Outback kayak inside with ease. I think it's about 20' bumper to bumper. The extended chassis is a few feet longer if you want more cargo area for something bigger. Get a tow package if you want to pull a trailer. I wouldn't be without one. Available with windows as a crew cab or passenger van.

The 4x4 sits higher than the 2WD, so I may or may not choose the low roof configuration for myself. I'm adding a small shower and toilet, then re-registering from commercial van to a personal motorhome for lower yearly fees, lower insurance, and camping convenience. The toilet and shower I use in my Chevy Express van now are modular and portable, so there's no need for installation, tanks, etc.

I've driven trucks all my life prior to my current Chevy Express 3500 passenger van. I like the additional cargo space of a van. I like the convenience of locking everything inside rather than the more limited space available under a shell for a truck. I like the lower loading point through the back doors, compared to a truck.

This particular photo looks like it has dulies in the rear. That's overkill unless you plan on carrying a very heavy payload. I would choose single wheels with good all terrain tires.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 11-13-2016 at 05:07 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote