Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2011, 10:50 AM   #1
tj805
Junior

new some advice

ok i am new to kayak fishing
i am intrested in getting a kayak but do not know witch will be best for me
i am torn right now between
and ocean kayak prowler
or the malubu stealth 12

i fish out of morro bay California so it can be a little rough somedays
any advise will be greatly appreciated thank you
tj805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:50 PM   #2
Socalrobt

I would suggest renting those two a couple times. I would go out and spend some time on them to see which one you feel comfortable on. I have the Trident 15 and it is great. I remember renting about 10 kayak before I purchsed my Trident. I rented the Trident 15 a couple times just to make sure it was what I wanted. I like the 15 because it is stable. I think this would be a good kayak for you up in Morro. Let's us know what you decide on. Good luck.
Socalrobt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:56 PM   #3
tagyak

hey tj welcome to the sport.
i have been kayaking for a short period of time. i first started out using a cobra marauder but after the first time out i switched over to a hobie. i haven't looked back since. i know that some say that it is expensive but that is all relative.

i look at it this way. if you enjoy doing something and know that you will be doing it for awhile then why not just enjoy doing it more comfortably? i enjoy fishing and not really into kayaking. the kayak is just a tool that gets me to the area that i want to fish. i don't really look at it as a way for exercise but i do get some since i am out fishing in it.

i have been out when the wind kicks up and peddling is a challenge; but if i was paddling i know that it would be much more difficult. also i like the fact that i am fishing more than paddling.
so in the end i would highly recommend buying a used hobie and if it is out of your budget, save some more money and buy it then.

hope that this was helpful.
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:32 PM   #4
Deamon

X2. Great advice. But i'll also add one thing: Blue Hobie's are fastest.
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:01 PM   #5
coxtanker421

major advantage using the largest muscles in your body. i have an outback. new at kayaking myself. the outback is very stable ,and a good yak all around. revo is a little bit more narrow and longer , which would probably give it a little bit more speed, but less stabality. less load capacity also. hobies are not the greatest in the surf, but with the peddals ,you can accelerate alot quicker to get through the danger zone. hobies can go out in windy conditions, that the average kayaker couldnt endure . hobies are expensive , but worth it. lots of accessories. if you can afford the extra to dish out , well worth it.
coxtanker421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:03 PM   #6
maui jim

I have fished Moro a couple of times , but you forgot to mention one thing "It's COLD" .... I fished Halibut in the bay and did well (Even did the bay in a float tube..guy in a skiff said i was nuts...maybe) I think either one would not be bad but when it's rough it really is..rough..

Get something you very comfortable in, and practice in the bay and for gods sake "THINK SAFETY" water temps are brutal even in the summer..
7 mil hooded wetsuit is a spring suit.....
Old 05-03-2011, 03:31 PM   #7
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui jim View Post
I have fished Moro a couple of times , but you forgot to mention one thing "It's COLD" .... I fished Halibut in the bay and did well (Even did the bay in a float tube..guy in a skiff said i was nuts...maybe) I think either one would not be bad but when it's rough it really is..rough..

Get something you very comfortable in, and practice in the bay and for gods sake "THINK SAFETY" water temps are brutal even in the summer..
7 mil hooded wetsuit is a spring suit.....
I sent you some of the pics you requested.

If you're new to yakking I would strongly suggest you start off within your budget. I started with a Prowler because I wasn't sure if I would like the sport, if I didn't like it I'd be out $800 and not $2000. This past Saturday (about a year after I bought my prowler) I took the plunge and bought a Hobie Mirage Outback, wish I would have bought it sooner but still have no regrets that I bought my Prowler first, it was a good starter kayak. One other thing, whatever you do please DO NOT BUY ON IMPULSE.....I saw my neighbor do it and he lost his *ss off. He used the kayak for one fishing season and half of a hooping season and that was that. He invested over $1400 and sold his kayak for $700 a few months later.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:23 PM   #8
GregAndrew

Of the 2 kayaks you mentioned, the Trident is probably better in the long run for your location. The ability to store your rods inside the yak is a great benefit for rough launches and landings.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:09 PM   #9
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui jim View Post
(Even did the bay in a float tube..guy in a skiff said i was nuts...maybe)
He was right.. Morro Bay in Float tube that's nuts!!!
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:04 PM   #10
superpoly76
Junior

Second that on the Trident. I run a Prowler trident angler 16 out of there to the rock with no prob. Nice and stable. Everything stores nicely for the bumpy wet ride past the breakers. Have also surf lauched at cabria and cayucus with ease. Get your first one good and cheap whatever it is though.
superpoly76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:42 AM   #11
tj805
Junior

ok thanks everyone for the great advice
ya morro bay is supper cold but the fishing can be crazy good if you know where to go
last year i caught a 34 inch lincod in my 12 foot boat and and i
have been hooked ever since
i am aslo wondering how the prowlers doo in the surf ?
sometimes i fish out of san simion and cayocus
Old 05-05-2011, 11:21 AM   #12
maui jim

Prowlers do the same as all kayaks in the surf, they usually wash to shore.. ....after the yard sale....
Old 05-10-2011, 09:00 AM   #13
tj805
Junior

ya i tried a cobra fish and dive over the weekend
didnt really like that at all
Old 05-10-2011, 09:18 AM   #14
Jim Sammons LJKF

The OK's Prowlers and Tridents are likely the best kayaks out there when it comes to handling surf and big water.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:15 AM   #15
tj805
Junior

ya ihave been looking at tridents and prowlers and i thinkg it is beetween those 2 now
if anyone has one for sale please let me know
Old 05-11-2011, 02:49 PM   #16
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj805 View Post
ya ihave been looking at tridents and prowlers and i thinkg it is beetween those 2 now
if anyone has one for sale please let me know
check with Jim maybe he has one left for saleIBfishn has a tarpon 16 for sale good deal
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:15 AM   #17
tj805
Junior

ok ya i put and add out and someone wants to sell me an ocean kayak scrambler for 300 bucks with a seat and paddle
that seems like a good deal.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:04 PM   #18
tj805
Junior

well i ended up getting an ocean kayak scrambler xt
the thing was sitting is a storage shead for the last 7 years and is litterally brand spanking new
the kayak tracks really well and i could not be more happy with my purchase
Old 06-09-2011, 01:22 PM   #19
landwhale

Congrats and keep us posted on how its going

landwhale is offline   Reply With Quote