Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2014, 06:57 AM   #1
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

HydroGlow- Squid Fishing

So I ordered one of this glow sticks and wanted to find out how people are rigging them up.

Are you guys bringing a second 12volt battery, or sharing your GPS battery?

http://hydroglow.com/

http://hydroglow.com/store/store.php...on=show_detail

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:16 AM   #2
battleborn

I have used squid lights in the past but they were just plain white ones and they worked pretty good. Is there any benefit to using the green? Oh and just ran them off the 12 volt battery in line fuse, LED low draw.
battleborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:50 AM   #3
Mahigeer

If you like to catch squid with a net, then you need lights.

However, if you know there are squid around or deep, then the squid jig works fine.

I add an AHI brand green chemical light stick to my rig. Worked great on Humboldt squid run at the piers few years back.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:46 AM   #4
battleborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
If you like to catch squid with a net, then you need lights.

However, if you know there are squid around or deep, then the squid jig works fine.

I add an AHI brand green chemical light stick to my rig. Worked great on Humboldt squid run at the piers few years back.
Agree we were night fishing for wsb. thru the lights over. pulled up squid with the jigs. pinned them on heavy iron and hold on. Most everyone i knew used the white lights. Just wondering if green is really better?
battleborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:00 PM   #5
grey zone

Hydroglows are nice. They come weighted so just put it in the water and connect it to a battery. A 12V, 7 amp hour battery will work fine. I ran a 4 foot light for about 6hrs before the battery ran out of juice. I use a seperate battery.
grey zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:08 PM   #6
Dannowar

Tupperware. Foam tubing. Goop.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:42 PM   #7
grey zone

Dannowar, the picture you have of yor battery storage is almost identical to what I use. I cannot say enough about keeping battries dry. Rather than using electrical tape where you have connected the Hydroglow wires to the added wires that go to your alligator clips, try heat shrink adheasive lined connectors. There expensive but worth it. For added protection you can put adheasive lined shrink tubing over those. Do anything you can to keep salt water off the copper.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:04 AM   #8
StinkyMatt

Silly question....

What is the advantage of keeping the batteries dry?

Been running almost 4 years battery in the hull and no box for it......no problems.

I do spray the battery down with a hose after a trip.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:48 AM   #9
grey zone

StinkyMatt, your kayak must stay pretty dry inside. I just think it's a bad idea to let anything electrical get wet especially with salt. If you keep a puddle of salt water between the terminals it causes plating and the metal from the positive terminal gets plated to the negative causing it to slowly disappear. The terminals on the 7 amp batteries are thin and if they break off the battery useless. I wipe off any salt build-up I see on my batteries with a little fresh water and then dry them. A quick rinse is not going to cause problems, it's the long term exposure. More important are the electronic connections to the battery or anywhere else. Once they get wet corrision will set into the wires and the disease will travel up them and eventually lead to low to no voltage. If you want your electronics to work well and continue to work well, keep all connections dry.