Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2015, 06:13 PM   #1
cell128
lizard king

Kayak fishing has been great but.......

Who else is having the "need a boat" itch? Or has dumped their boat for kayakin? Seems like tuna and yellows right outside kayak range besides LA Jolla wich has not been that nice to me other than a fat ling I caught 3 days out of season??? I could get a boat but not sure if its worth the investment. Maybe I should stop reading so many bloody decks reports lol
cell128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:34 PM   #2
surfisher

Well, I am lucky enough to have a dad that has an 18' Striper, which he lets me use as long as I clean every damn inch of the boat after I use it. They are both great. I prefer the kayak to the boat because of the ease of it all and cost. Granite, it only costs about 60$ to fill up the tank on the boat. They both have their place and I wouldn't give one up for the other.

But yes, the tuna are easily in kayak range! We ran into the tuna about 3-4 miles straight out of OSIDE today! If you think LJ on a crowded day is bad you should have seen the mess today. People were running completely over the paddies and running over boiling tuna. There must have been over 150+ boats out over a small spread. It was a joke. I would be scared to be on a kayak as they probably would obliviously run you over.
surfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:43 PM   #3
ful-rac
Emperor

BWE POST POLICE! PULL OVER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfisher View Post
Granite, it only costs about 60$ to fill up the tank on the boat. They both have their place and I wouldn't give one up for the other.

GRANITE?!
Old 07-12-2015, 07:58 PM   #4
surfisher

Haha damnit! I'm tired. Granted*
Old 07-12-2015, 07:59 PM   #5
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
GRANITE?!

We talkin counter tops here?
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:01 AM   #6
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfisher View Post
Well, I am lucky enough to have a dad that has an 18' Striper, which he lets me use as long as I clean every damn inch of the boat after I use it. They are both great. I prefer the kayak to the boat because of the ease of it all and cost. Granite, it only costs about 60$ to fill up the tank on the boat. They both have their place and I wouldn't give one up for the other.

But yes, the tuna are easily in kayak range! We ran into the tuna about 3-4 miles straight out of OSIDE today! If you think LJ on a crowded day is bad you should have seen the mess today. People were running completely over the paddies and running over boiling tuna. There must have been over 150+ boats out over a small spread. It was a joke. I would be scared to be on a kayak as they probably would obliviously run you over.
Probably busy because its free to launch, and there's a free parking lot close by too. And a barge right there. Last July me and a few buddies tried to launch from Dana in search of tuna, but it was closed by 7am, completely full, and had to go elsewhere, and that's when we discovered oceanside launch.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:17 AM   #7
PapaDave

I got the itch for a boat and scratched it. Bought a used 20' Robalo...
Old 07-13-2015, 08:21 AM   #8
Hunters Pa

My 18' center console was a casualty of my last move. Nowhere to park it. Wish I still had it.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:50 AM   #9
cell128
lizard king

I almost bought a 86 shamrock 18' center console a few weeks ago but it had carb issues. I said if he fixed it id buy it... Hasn't got back to me yet
Old 07-13-2015, 08:54 AM   #10
cell128
lizard king

We did 8 Mile round trip on Saturday 3-4 miles sounds easy and worth it for tuna. We went out 2 miles from Newport but weren't seeing any life so went back in after one of us hooked a baby gws didn't wanna see momma pissed
Old 07-13-2015, 11:15 AM   #11
HobieScot

I have always had that need a boat itch ever since I got rid of mine. Just like I still get that motorcycle itch since I don't ride anymore.

It's been years and it seems that neither of those ever go away!
HobieScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:32 PM   #12
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cell128 View Post
We did 8 Mile round trip on Saturday 3-4 miles sounds easy and worth it for tuna. We went out 2 miles from Newport but weren't seeing any life so went back in after one of us hooked a baby gws didn't wanna see momma pissed
Next time let's not mess around with rockfish in the morning. Just go straight out. We saw a few terns, but didn't really go check to see what was going on. Instead of trolling sardines that kept disappearing from my hook, I'll have to bring a crank bait or something and troll that.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:03 PM   #13
dc1983

I just sold my boat a couple weeks ago and came back to kayaking. Kayak fishing is more enjoyable if you ask me.
dc1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 01:33 PM   #14
bluesquids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silbaugh4liberty View Post
Probably busy because its free to launch, and there's a free parking lot close by too. And a barge right there. Last July me and a few buddies tried to launch from Dana in search of tuna, but it was closed by 7am, completely full, and had to go elsewhere, and that's when we discovered oceanside launch.
Oceanside has been filled up too lately all the way up the hill to the del taco.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:49 PM   #15
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesquids View Post
Oceanside has been filled up too lately all the way up the hill to the del taco.
Oh damn! I believe it! I kinda drives me crazy when you see some people take up 4 spots with their trick and trailer though.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:55 PM   #16
surfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesquids View Post
Only on the weekends .... maybe 7-10 trailers today.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:28 PM   #17
jimmy310

stop being a legalized homo and keep the kayak, pedal to the metal!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jimmy310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:53 PM   #18
cell128
lizard king

Feeling bummed out. Was suppose to go check out this sweet 16' skiff on a honda 4 stroke oubtoard he pmd me before he posted it for sale i skipped it til he posted it. Now that he posted it i was suppoed to go fishing on it tomorrow..and buy it....he sold it today FML lol
Old 07-15-2015, 06:55 PM   #19
cell128
lizard king

Also gave up a sweet 18ft shamrock that was real nice but I didn't like the inboard motor and had carb issues but it was a beauty .... Skipped and called back a few days ago.... Sold it a week ago FML lol
Old 07-15-2015, 07:02 PM   #20
cell128
lizard king

Need a break I'll be hanging out a Cabrillo tomorrow those halibut better jump on my hook or I'm gonna swim down and tear them a new hole 😠😠😠😠