Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-15-2017, 09:05 PM   #1
ore714

La Jolla 07/15 - bone city

Still looking for my first yellowtail but managed to scratch up some bonito today.

-Launched at 5:15 to 1ft surf and surface temps showed 74 on my fish finder might be off a little

-bait was a little tough to find at first going out but managed to catch 4 small 6 inch Spanish Mackerel after an hour

-found tow bait balls of sardines being pushed up by bonito there was some mackerel mixed in. Birds were also crashing on them. I caught one bonito here and also snagged a sardine for bait.

-trolled a 2oz Carolina rigged sardine for a while in the same general area for about two hours then got another bite which turned out to be another bonito. Then nothing for the next two hours

- I saw one guy catch a fat yellow about 9:45AM in about 65 feet of water just outside the kelp line. And another PB'er mentioned he caught a barely legal sea bass.

Anyhoot good day on the water and I gave the bonito away since I am not a fan of them.

cheers!

-
ore714 is offline   Reply With Quote