Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2015, 10:25 AM   #1
Dee84cali

Kayak maintenance

Hey fellas i just purchased my first yak and used it twice. When I get home all I do is rinse it with my water hose. Is that all the maintenance it requires? I've also read online about applying WD-40 if so how often?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dee84cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:01 AM   #2
Kaleb

What type of kayak?Do you have a Rudder and fins?
Kaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:05 AM   #3
Dee84cali

X factor.. No rudder or fins

Old 08-21-2015, 11:13 AM   #4
HobieScot

Kayak maintenance

Just rinse it down and make sure you check all the little nooks and crannies for blood.

Rinse all your gear, not just your kayak. Paddle, rods n reels, gaff and so on. One place I never thought to oil was where the two piece paddle connects in the center. Mine rusted up and made the button not snap into place so now I spray that down with corrosion x every time and it works again.

You basically just want to get the salt water and blood off of everything. Salt water corrodes everything

HobieScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:27 PM   #5
Rocketfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobieScot View Post
One place I never thought to oil was where the two piece paddle connects in the center. Mine rusted up and made the button not snap into place so now I spray that down with corrosion x every time and it works again.
Thanks for this tip! I never thought about that and have been using my paddles several times a week for 4 months now. I'm surprised that my paddle hasn't rusted up.
Rocketfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:57 PM   #6
Dee84cali

Thanks fellas

Old 08-21-2015, 01:17 PM   #7
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee84cali View Post
Hey fellas i just purchased my first yak and used it twice. When I get home all I do is rinse it with my water hose. Is that all the maintenance it requires? I've also read online about applying WD-40 if so how often?

I have known some people that will use WD on the hatches so that they don't look faded from the sun. I've done it to help restore the look of the hatches, but it's not something that has to be done.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 02:26 PM   #8
YakDout
Brandon

This stuff is the bomb! I spray mirage drive, hatches, reels, anything really. Awesome awesome stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/Essentials-Sil.../dp/B003V6ZQR2
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 04:41 PM   #9
Dee84cali

What about that 303 aerospace protectant?

Old 08-21-2015, 05:01 PM   #10
bluesquids

The carry handles and other straps will deteriorate over time, the screws that hold them down will seize up really good by the time you want to replace them, some type of anti seize on them would be a good idea.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:09 PM   #11
bluesquids

Quote:

I use to put that on my yak often....i did it cause i also put it on my hot tub cover religiously...the cover got fried pretty good anyways. It probably works to some extent....I would just not leave it in the sun during storage.....yaks kept out on yachts for years fade and turn pretty brittle.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:30 PM   #12
Hunters Pa

Disappointed

I was really expecting at least a couple smart-ass comments here.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 07:00 PM   #13
Dee84cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunters Pa View Post
I was really expecting at least a couple smart-ass comments here.

Made it threw without a scratch... Lol

Old 08-21-2015, 07:33 PM   #14
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesquids View Post
The carry handles and other straps will deteriorate over time, the screws that hold them down will seize up really good by the time you want to replace them, some type of anti seize on them would be a good idea.
Good call. I had one seize up. Had to heat it with a soldering iron until the plastic around it melted enough for me to pull it out about 1/8 inch and get a wrench on the molded in nut that was spinning. Put in a new screw, reheated and was able to push it back in.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 04:46 AM   #15
HobieScot

That Corrosion X Stuff works really well. I also spray it on my pliers, lip gripper, boat trailer, tow hitch and pretty much anything else I see rust on or expect to rust eventually.

It doesn't claim to be able to unstick rusted items but it does. I had a pair of pliers in a tackle box that I put away wet and forgot about for half a year that completely rusted shut. I was planning on throwing them away. But I decided to spray them with the corrosion x before I did. I let it sit for 24 hours and then tried to open them again. At first they barely opened. But after working them a bit they started working again. I still have and use those pliers. They look like hell but still work just fine.

Old 08-22-2015, 05:01 AM   #16
HobieScot

This is the stuf I use and swear by. I'm on my 2nd 6oz can in 15 years. This stuff lasts forever because you barely need to use any for it to work. And as they say "I put that shit on everything!" Anything metal on my fishing, spearfishing, boat, trailer, and dive gear gets a squirt. My dive knife especially. The dive knives all say that they don't rust but when you have it under water for hours and hours each day they all eventually rust. But a coating of this stuff keeps the rust off. On my dive gear all the little metal buttons/snaps used to rust and stop working. Then I sprayed them down after Every ten dives and they stay brand new.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (41.4 KB, 87 views)

Last edited by HobieScot; 08-22-2015 at 05:12 AM.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:18 AM   #17
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:

I bought that stuff by the gallon (I think I still have about 1/2 gallon left) when I had a float tube and PAC 800 Pontoon boat. It kept them from fading to a minimum and because of the slick coating it seemed to help me glide through the water. It also reduced the slime/algae coating from some of the lakes I've fished which I hope will do the same for my kayak (or rather oil and tar balls up here)!.
As with my reels during the season or between servicings I use this to keep screws and bolts from freezing or corroding also (along with Corrosion X) ;
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...sporting%2C402
I was introduced to this cleaner when I was working in a tackle shop and trained how to properly service reels, it seemed to help frozen screws and bolts when soaked overnight.
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:05 AM   #18
HobieScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinYakr View Post
I bought that stuff by the gallon (I think I still have about 1/2 gallon left) when I had a float tube and PAC 800 Pontoon boat. It kept them from fading to a minimum and because of the slick coating it seemed to help me glide through the water. It also reduced the slime/algae coating from some of the lakes I've fished which I hope will do the same for my kayak (or rather oil and tar balls up here)!.
As with my reels during the season or between servicings I use this to keep screws and bolts from freezing or corroding also (along with Corrosion X) ;
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...sporting%2C402
I was introduced to this cleaner when I was working in a tackle shop and trained how to properly service reels, it seemed to help frozen screws and bolts when soaked overnight.
FFY

Good call on the CLP. That's another product I use. It's designed for the firearms industry and its what I use on all my guns for hunting season. I never thought to use it on fishing gear.

Old 08-22-2015, 06:51 AM   #19
SASQUATCH

A great solution for stuck bolts/ rusty hardware is 50% acetone and 50% transmission fluid. Was tested against all the top brands of break free solutions and beat them hands down. I've used it many times and swear its the only way to go. Way less expensive too. Try it, you'll be a believer.
SASQUATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:05 AM   #20
YakDout
Brandon

Just don't put that on plastic.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote