Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 11-25-2007, 06:29 PM   #1
landwhale

Newport 11-24

With the big tide swing I headed to Newport for a little bass fishing. Launched at 8:30 at G street on the high tide

The water was out in the street backing up through the storm sewer. On my way down to Newport I drove past Andys OEX shop in Sunset, he could have paddled from the parking lot into Huntington Harbor. Fished the moored boats for one spottie

Started drifting the channel which with the outgoing tide and ever changing wind direction tok me in all sorts of directions. Started long lining at the end of the moored boats. Both rods seemed to hang on the bottom worked back to the first one got it unsnagged andn buutered up the reebs sent it back to the bottom. Put rod #2 in gear and started to free it from the bottom and it moved HUH. Fought the fish for 15 minutes with visions of halibut for dinner but noooooooo bat ray snaged in the wing. After breaking the fish off tied on another razor back buttered it up cast, on the sink hooked up reeled in a nice sand bass. Piked up the second rod because there was so much slack needed to get it out of the way, surprise another sandie

After taking the picture looked up and saw I was at the breakwater in the fastest of the outgoing tide. Put away the rods picked up the paddle headed back up to the moored boats. With the wind direction and the outgoing tide ended up only paddling with the right blade. Took about 1/2 hour to get back up to the white sea bass pen. Fished another 15 min for a 16" spottie hit the beach at 11:30. (all fish released)

On the way down I took this picture of the wetlands

and on the way home

Great day!

landwhale is offline   Reply With Quote