Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2017, 10:50 AM   #1
5-20

Daiwa Lexa 400 HSP - How is Yours Holding Up?

I'm wondering if any of you guys used the new Lexa 400 HSP through a whole bunch of yak trips last year and how your reel held up to all of those surf launches. I have one of those reels myself and used it several times on some big boat trips last year, but obviously that's pretty different from the abuse a yak reel gets day in and day out. Thinking about picking up a second one, but just not sure about whether the saltwater intrusion issues with the original lexa were fully corrected and whether it's capable of holding up for at least a couple of years of solid use on a yak.

The alternative's a Calcutta 400b and I know this reel is definitely going to stand up but I think the Lexa 400 HSP will be a much better casting reel, and I can use all of the extra yards I can get with some of those odd casting angles you have to put up with from a seated position!
5-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:27 AM   #2
surfisher

I have the older grey model. Held up to lots of fish and surf launches. It's super easy to clean and just recently after being fished heavily I needed to replace the bearing, but other than that everything has been sound.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:27 PM   #3
octico

It held up much better than my Revo Toro NaCL. I rolled my yak in La Jolla once and it was done, luckily Abu was really good about replacing it.

I have dunked Lexa in the salter a few times with no issues. I do have the newer blue one too. My understanding is it should be more salt tolerant than the older gray ones.

Hope that helps.

--john
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:52 PM   #4
2-Stix

I saw a Lexa 300 explode last year on a 10 pack fishing calicos on fin bait.
I fish the curados but getting parts has been a bit challenging when I service them.

Last edited by 2-Stix; 01-21-2017 at 04:03 PM.
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 04:03 PM   #5
skrilla

The ones I preserviced have held up great so far. Gease and oil are cheap and go a long way. So does a freshwater rinse and a drop of oil in key places every so often.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:32 PM   #6
goldenglory18

Great timing on this post.

I've decided (thanks to some awesome advice from some guys on here) to look into the "heavier bass gear" for most of my rigs and the Lexa 300 and 400 fall right into this lane.

What "preservice" are you guys doing to the Lexa to get them to hold up more in the salt? I've fished Daiwa for years and have loved the Lexa and Tatula line. I would love to get a few of the 300 and 400 sized reels for the bulk of my gear....
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:30 PM   #7
SorryCharlie

I have a lexa 300 that I have been abusing for the past two years, mostly on the kayak. It's held up great, requires the least maintenance of the reels I use regularly (not difficult to service, but not as simple as an Avet).

I mainly use it for bait, rockfishing or as a backup once bait is made (I'm on the no sibiki rod side). I have used it while fishing poppers for smaller YFT, and it was fun... that is until a larger model fish took the pooper and spooled me. Guessing the fish was 30-40 pounds, as it cleared the water completely when it hit, and the reel did not enjoy it. I think the 400 would be better in this situation, more line so you can back off the drag a bit.

I have also hooked a larger YT while rockfishing with it, and again while it was capable of the job it was not the best choice IMO. At least with the 300 the smaller frame didn't like all the pressure it was under and I just felt repeated torchure like that would kill the reel.

Best thing they come in left hand retrieve........ (yes I'm one of those freaks)
SorryCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:28 AM   #8
GregAndrew

I have been trying out the Lexa 300 for a few weeks and have the same issue with it that I had with the Calcutta D series. Fishing braid with a non-following level wind does not work for me. It affects castability, and more important your drag setting. Even with the level wind centered you can feel friction of the line on line contact as it is peeled off. That translates into inconsistent drag setting, which will mean some fish lost. You might be able to overcome some of this with the newer (more expensive) smoother braided lines. I just have not invested the time or money into testing those yet. I would love to hear from somebody that has compared them in these types of reels.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:31 AM   #9
skrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
Great timing on this post.

I've decided (thanks to some awesome advice from some guys on here) to look into the "heavier bass gear" for most of my rigs and the Lexa 300 and 400 fall right into this lane.

What "preservice" are you guys doing to the Lexa to get them to hold up more in the salt? I've fished Daiwa for years and have loved the Lexa and Tatula line. I would love to get a few of the 300 and 400 sized reels for the bulk of my gear....
I've found inconsistent lube jobs from the factory in all reels. Out of the box I always open them up and make sure all metal surfaces have at least a light coat of grease. I'll also go through the drags and bearings and lube accordingly. I usually remove the spool bearing shields and throw them away so I can directly drop oil into them as needed. So far of all the sport boat rental reels that have come back for service only one has needed major work. Damn bluefin.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:55 AM   #10
monstahfish

I have zilion hd and the new lex hd 400 and am quite impressed. I had a few other similar reels in the past and they needed near constant attention and these have needed none thus far.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:09 PM   #11
PapaDave

I like them both.

I have a Lexa 300, I think. I use it all the time for bass fishing and it is my favorite. But I do have to make sure to oil it up before each trip. I would buy another in a sec though.

The Calcutta is a good reel also, I have an old one that I bring for a second rod out, it's a workhorse, takes a lot of abuse and requires a little less maintenance.