Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2007, 09:14 AM   #1
coffeebean16
Junior

5/21 midmorning

arrived and launched by 11 am into larger than normal waves with an extremely short period. soaked on the way out.

paddled to the edge of the reserve and filled the bait tank, started looking for bait. chased the birds around for whatever they were diving on. didnt get anything.

got out past the point into a stiff breeze. the radio said 6ft swell on a 9-10 second interval with 1-2ft wind waves. that was the size of it and i headed for the launch. waited and waited for the tourists to launch and was ammused by one boat that went to the aid of another whom had flipped. the upside down boat was then pushed into the "rescuer" and there were 4 people in the water.lol

another fishing yak came in passed me and promptly pointed back out to sea and backed in to the beach. as the waves were higher than i have ever seen them i tried it and took a little longer but got in without swimming.

taking next week off. not gunna deal with the potential crowds.

coffeebean
Old 05-22-2007, 09:25 PM   #2
Piranha

Send a message via AIM to Piranha Send a message via Yahoo to Piranha
Backing in?

I've wondered about backing in, never tried it! My aircraft carrier(fish n dive) has never given me trouble with the bow into the surf,i.e launching! Wish I could say the same for landing! I think I'm batting a pretty low average on larger surf landings. That's why I always stow everything when I surf land! Those years in the Boy Scouts paid off! Did you paddle out overeach breaker crest as it approached and then scoot back in for shore quickly? What was your technique? Enquiring minds wanna know! Thanks a million! Piranha
Old 05-22-2007, 10:23 PM   #3
wavster

coffeebean, I think that was me you spoke to the other day at LJ.

I always back in unless it's really small. I don't want to say it's better, because personally, I think
it's a bit kooky and sort of a crutch.

I went out when I first got my new eXtreme and practiced straight in landings for an hour
and a half. Only made one without rolling. No equipment on board.

I just think, If I'm going to get wet doing a high brace, I might as well not risk pearling and come
in backwards. I've ridden small waves in backwards, but I'm ok with it.

I like to be able to see what's coming and I feel I have absolutely more control (in the eXteme) when I'm
facing out to sea. I'm sure others have different opinions, but I've seen experienced kayakers
flip in 1 foot of water, so what ever makes one feel more comfortable, I guess.

I've taken 3 footers in the head and chest paddling backwards, that I know if I
were going straight in would cost me $$$ in lost or ruined equipment.

As for technique: I keep my eye on the sets coming in. After the last one, I paddle in as far as
I can and make a quick turn to face West (don't get caught turning).
I then paddle backwards, as quickly as I can and keep the kayak pointed straight into
the oncoming waves. When a wave approaches, I stop my momentum and paddle into it.
Depending on the size and relative position of the wave from me, I paddle harder to get over
it or lightly to let it pass me by. I try to ride the back of it in a bit to save on paddling.
Repeat as necessary to get to the beach. Your actual mileage may vary.
wavster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:12 AM   #4
madscientist

The backwards trick is mainly used by sit inside guys and is not usually recommended for SOT yaks. It will work in small to medium surf but in anything big it would be a disaster waiting to happen. The back end of most fishing yaks pearls worse than the front. Backwards you have less control if the wave grabs you and you cannot even try to really accelerate to beat one in. Better to get the proper forward technique down. In big surf I find its all a matter of coming in with a head of steam and either handling the wave you are on or the one behind it. More than that and you are in trouble. Sitting backwards in the surf zone getting pounded is not ideal.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:05 PM   #5
wavster

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
... Sitting backwards in the surf zone getting pounded is not ideal.
But it sure is fun!
Old 05-23-2007, 04:26 PM   #6
Guyak

The first couple times I ever went out, I launched at Carlsbad State Beach. Got the CRAP beat out of me, but I got used to it and nothing at LJ has scared me since. I agree with the wait wait wait PADDLE approach. Maybe I have just been lucky or maybe it was the years of surfing, but I usually get pretty far in when timed right and if I do get picked up it's by a smaller wave.

Luckily LJ is really shallow so the jump out and grab the bow rope works for me as well

If someone gets rolled (myself included) are photos on the board are fair game? lol
Guyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:33 PM   #7
Jimm H

Backing it just lets you see the upcoming disaster better

Known guys that back it in and they get pounded, too... they just see it coming instead of hearing the freight train!

Honestly, whatever feels good and works is best.

Of the three boats I've owned, the FND was the best surfer... it would turn sideways in the surf, but rarely roll. I learned on it to stick my shore-side leg in the water and the paddle blade on the wave face, and you could ride all but the biggest breaks in.

The bow of the Malibu Ex was always submerging, both on outbound waves and inbound surfing. It always plowed... and pretty deep, too. And, the front hatch always leaked.

The Cobra Maurader is the fastest, and the narrow prow has enough lift in it to pretty much keep above the waves-- no plowing. Unlike the FND, which I could get almost airborn going out over waves, the Maurader does slice thru surf on the way out, getting more wave over the bow.

But, it's a lot faster than the fish and Dive, so I spend less time in the surf line... hopefully catching fewer waves.

And, facing backwards, you are not going to outrun any waves like you can facing forward. what's the fun of seeing the train coming, anyhow?
Jimm H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:37 PM   #8
madscientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyak View Post
The first couple times I ever went out, I launched at Carlsbad State Beach. Got the CRAP beat out of me, but I got used to it and nothing at LJ has scared me since. I agree with the wait wait wait PADDLE approach. Maybe I have just been lucky or maybe it was the years of surfing, but I usually get pretty far in when timed right and if I do get picked up it's by a smaller wave.

Luckily LJ is really shallow so the jump out and grab the bow rope works for me as well

If someone gets rolled (myself included) are photos on the board are fair game? lol
Anytime you see Tyler on the beach you better bring your A game as he usually has a camera.

If you've launched/landed in bad Baja surf you'll never be scared in LJ again. I still break into a cold sweat when I remember the one in Colonet that ate Forest (and almost got me).
Old 05-23-2007, 10:05 PM   #9
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

My trick for the surf is get lucky with the timing. The biggest help I've found is using your feet for extra drag. That way if a wave starts to pick you up, instead use your feet to slow down and let it pass under you. Then paddle like hell to chase it in . The impact zone at LJ is very small. Only 10 yards at most. No matter which beach you launch at, you don't want to get caught in no mans land where you can't back out of a wave, and can't get far enough ahead that it loses enough energy to be safe. Hit the surf zone with enough speed so you aren't a sitting target. Paddling backwards makes you less likely to out run a big swell.

Quote:
Yes, surf pics are always good for a laugh.

Quote:
Anytime you see Tyler on the beach you better bring your A game as he usually has a camera.

And I've got some good ones. Here are some of many...
Here is the Handyman under pressure surfing in like a pro, he knew I would be on the beach with my camera:

Brad racing the baja shorebreak in, this isn't even the real swell:

Tourist tandem goes end over end .

I haven't taken any good ones for a while. All these are old pics.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:15 PM   #10
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Quote:
Fortunately, Tyler didn't have his camera out that time I landed right after him. I got complacent and ate it on a super-gnarly one footer He was nice enough not to laugh at me as I picked up my yard sale from the surf.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:11 AM   #11
Guyak

Well I'll be there Sunday bright and early! Can't miss me. 6'3" 280. I'll scope the shores for any camera's first. Once I am coming in though....don't get in my way
Guyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 06:56 AM   #12
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

I agree go in facing forward... If you get picked up by a wave, and if your nose is dipping...... LEAN BACK...

Here is another oldie but goodie... Rastrev in his old FnD in mild Colonet surf...

Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 07:26 AM   #13
wavster

Just an FYI, I don't endorse or encourage going in backwards. I do it because I
haven't mastered coming in forward. Even 27 years of surfing hasn't helped me
there.

I believe the key is timing.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:03 AM   #14
madscientist

I always liked this one.

I didn't capture the result since SOME of us are nice enough run to a friend's aid, rather than stand there snapping pics.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:18 AM   #15
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Quote:

I didn't capture the result since SOME of us are nice enough run to a friend's aid, rather than stand there snapping pics.
Hey, my kayak landed that upright, I just chose to jump off at the last minute... lol

Chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 09:03 AM   #16
T-Rex

Quote:
Landing at LJ I'm usually more afraid of the camera than I am of the surf. lol
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 10:30 AM   #17
cabojohn
PROBATION

Wait for a set and catch the largest wave in. If you get worked nobody can give you chit for that.
Liquid courage helps.

this too-

Loco Pescadores-

Last edited by cabojohn; 05-24-2007 at 03:23 PM.
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 11:08 AM   #18
Ed
Fringe Head

Actually, THAT makes it much worse. At least it seems that way. Trust me on that one John.........

Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 11:16 AM   #19
cabojohn
PROBATION

Good to know. Of course I wouldn't know for sure?. I was only told that it helps. That's my story and I am sticking to it. lol

Hesitation leads to devastation.
When in doubt...paddle your ass off!
Leash it or loose it.
SAVE THE BEER FIRST!

What Surf?
Loco Pescadores
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 11:39 AM   #20
madscientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Chicken View Post
SAVE THE BEER FIRST!
If you still have beer, why stop fishing?