Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
Mr GreenJeans

3/14 No fish LJ report

Launched with Yani this morning, hoping to get lucky, pop a cherry, or whatever. Did not hear of or see any of the right kind being caught. Oh well.

The waves were bigger than I have seen them for quite a while. But when I came back to shore (empty-handed), the tourists were launching just the same. About 100 yards off shore, I came across one girl who had rolled her rental kayak and couldn't get back in. I pulled her into her yak, while a friend braced her feet. Then we both steadied her boat while she got herself situated.

I made a dry landing (it was all about the timing), but tourists were dumping right and left. Then I noticed a bunch of little girls were launching, 2 by 2. The guys/gals running the kayak concession were wading out to chest-deep water to keep them upright while they pushed them through the waves. I watched one pair immediately roll in the very next wave right after they received the final push off.

A concerned looking adult was standing near by, so I asked if she knew what was going on with all the little girls. She said it was a pack of girl scouts. I'm not sure of the age range for girl scouts, but some of those girls looked pretty darn small. Maybe there were some younger sisters mixed into the pack or something.

I stopped by the life guard tower/building on the way back to the parking lot. I asked if they could spare a life guard to keep an eye on the boat launch because I thought the situation could get serious. He thanked me for my concern, but I left with the impression that they had their hands full watching the swim and surf areas.

Hope I don't read any bad news in the paper tomorrow.

David
Mr GreenJeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 02:57 PM   #2
Nic D

thanks for the report David, next time
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:14 PM   #3
Vikingj

David,

Thanks for the report- better luck next time. It was thoughtful of you to do the right thing and ask about the girls' safety. I hope they all had their swimming merit badge! Sounds like the rental place was more interested in making a few $$ ?
Wayne
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:15 PM   #4
Aquahunter
Crazy Deaf Cuban Redneck

I was there around 2:45pm when I landed. Saw a woman thrown in the air in the back of the yak. Crazy out there! I got my first thresher shark today in LJ, maybe next time for you!
Aquahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:00 AM   #5
j mo

Arrived late to find people surfing the launch .....

Bass were on the chew, finally moved after my 3rd on the sabiki only to pick up another on the iron all within 15 minutes. I wish I liked calicos....
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:44 AM   #6
yani

Congrats AquaHunter!!

I lost a couple of fish today, one was a halibut
in tight to the condo at 60'. Broke me off in
the kelp. Another was at 120' south of the
condo, I got left with a big dead mack with big rake
marks over its back.

Still saw a bunch of krill in deeper waters with lots
of bird activity. Water temp has dropper a point or two.
And the current was strong downhill all freakin day.

This mornings launch? Let's just say I launched in the dark
crapping in my pants all the way to the yellow buoys.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:15 AM   #7
danny
Danny

Yeah I was going out around 130 on sat took a long time to get past the waves, when i did one guy was being towed back by a boat. He said he fliped and lost his foot drive thing and a pole, the next guy said his pole broke, then the next guy said he got tossed over. At this point i was rethinking going out but i was past the waves and so i went out. Got a bass and my new fish finder worked. Then the white caps got to big to enjoy fishing, i b lined back to shore. I must have watched 30 people filp over in the rental kayaks. Still beats work.
danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:19 AM   #8
-scallywag-
Banned

Good times at the launch yesterday

fished from 8-7 the current was ripping but the wind was calm, the vis inside was cloudy green 5ft.

After watching the fleet pounding the same area for WSB's a couple mornings in a row for nada, i went for a peddle to find some clean water, and as the clouro charts showed from the previous day, there was a very obvious color break (15ft+ vis) about 1.5miles NNW of the NW corner. Lots of bait, krill, and birds on the area with tons of current but i really didn't see any signs of YT's, but the conditions where so ideal that I patrolled the area with the iron in my hand for hours, my eyes glued to the FF screen and hundreds of birds circling over head, patiently watching, listening, waiting...pretty much expecting them to show, all i got was mega macks on the couple drops I made that day. I also broke off a large 7gill or leopord near the kelp on live bait on the way in....nice day and more to come!!! I want some yellow meat!!!
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote