Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2010, 06:41 AM   #1
StinkyMatt

Help a brother out with info...

I am a new member to this community and kayak fishing. In the short few weeks I have already greatly benefited from reading the info here, and the advice of many members, thank you! I received a lot of advice on how and what kayak to buy and was able to fing an 08 Revo for 840 bucks. I am in the process of reviewing many of the older posts to learn as much as possible about rigging and fishing kayaks. Can not wait to make my way to the kayak shop in Oceanside, looks like a candystore for kayak fisherman....

I have a few "rookie" question:

How/ why do people loose a drive from their kayak? Don't you remove and strap it down before landing?

Are float bags ever used inside a Sit on top kayak?

Are there any ways of protecting the hull/ keel of a kayak from abresion?

How do you pee (do you?)while fishing in a kayak? (seriously...)

Is there a protected launch for LJ, even if it requires a longer paddle?

Thanks to all for your anticipated help. Matt
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:46 AM   #2
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
I have a few "rookie" question:

How/ why do people loose a drive from their kayak? Don't you remove and strap it down before landing?

Are float bags ever used inside a Sit on top kayak?

Are there any ways of protecting the hull/ keel of a kayak from abrasion?

How do you pee (do you?)while fishing in a kayak? (seriously...)

Is there a protected launch for LJ, even if it requires a longer paddle?

Thanks to all for your anticipated help. Matt
Your first question is a good one. I have no clue why people keep losing stuff. I have not yet lost anything and know that I am supposed to leash or stow the things I do not want to donate to Davey Jones. My day will certainly come. Sometimes we just get lazy and fail to do what we know we should.

There is a lengthy thread that you can search for in this forum discussing the subject of methods which can be used to make a kayak more buoyant.

No comment from me on the abrasion protection issue. I do not consider it to be much of a problem.

As for the pee-ing question, most people just make due the best they can. My latest solution is some zippered waders.

The launch at the shores is as protected as it gets around here. The Children's Pool would be a great protected launch site but it seems that our City Government has decided that a bunch of seals are more important than the people who pay their salary. (Don't get me started on this one.)

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:00 AM   #3
GregAndrew

I think most of the stuff lost on launch and landing is when people roll their yaks at night. Typically in the daylight you would be able to see and retrieve anything not immediately buried in the sand. Lots of folks get complacent about the normally small surf at LJ Shores and fail to lock everything down.

I don't think there are many people using float bags because they reduce your storage options. There has been a lot of recent discussion about the use of pool noodles which you could fit better into less useful places.

I have seen several people with some sort of heavy duty tape or similar product molded to the center bottom of their yaks. Not sure exactly what the product is or how it is applied, but some will.

It is pretty straight forward on how to pee, the complication comes in when you have to do the other bodily function. Just make sure you are not whipping it out in front of the authorities (might even be legal, not sure) and your scuppers are open.

If you launch right at the Shores launch ramp, most of the time the surf is very small. The trick is to watch the surf for 10 or 15 mins. to find the wave pattern so you know when the best lulls will be.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:17 PM   #4
cowboybill

Gatorade and whiz....

I just hang it over the side!! Yeah right...

I keep a gatorade bottle (large) tied off inside my hatch....empty and rinse... I keep it tied off so the bottle cant disappear into the bowels of my yak.

Some yaks have a scupper hole strategically located, but mine does not...

A buddy of mine that has a sit-inside also does the gatorade bottle thing.
cowboybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:18 PM   #5
TT5150
Slayer

If you don't pay attention, as I don't really do, Use a flag one with a light may save you if you get stuck out past dark.

Abrasion, same answer as everyone else not much of an issue.

Launching La Jolla Greg answered, WATCH the surf and paddle out where there is an opening in the sets. Time the waves and number of waves then launch at that point.

Peeing, I have open scuppers under me and I just pee in my boardshorts, LOL.
TT5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:48 PM   #6
Mr GreenJeans

Hobie Drive

IMHO, people lose their hobie drive precisely because they remove it. Personally, I launch and land using the hobie drive instead of a paddle. I mount and dismount the kayak when the water is about knee to thigh deep. If I'm not sure how deep the water is, I short stroke when I pedal. I know there is a risk of running the fins into the sand. But it hasn't been a problem for me so far, and I have used this method on hundreds of launch/landings. Of course, you can't ride your kayak all the way to the sand when you land. But it's a price I am willing to pay so that I can have access to the superior power and speed afforded by the pedals. To each their own.
Mr GreenJeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:59 PM   #7
Aaron

Leash the mirage drive. Problem solved whether you remove it or not. You can buy a leash from hobie or just use a rod leash. Its the same thing. It clips to an eyelet that you install just in front of the mirage drive cut-out.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:37 PM   #8
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
Are there any ways of protecting the hull/ keel of a kayak from abresion?

There are actually some products on the market for this. I used Amazing Goop Coat-It on the bottom of my little aluminum skiff. I was a little unsure about it, but was pleased with the results. The only thing I could compare it to, it was like painting a slightly flexible layer of JB Weld on the bottom. It also has kevlar in it. Very messy to work with, but cool stuff.

Here is the recommended uses, from the manufacturers website

What is Coat-It and what is it used for?

Coat-It is a 100% solids waterproof graphite black epoxy sealer and coating. Its original application is an armor plating type high build coating for the bottom of fishing boats, kayaks and canoes. Cured Coat-It creates slip and lubricity when the boat comes into contact with rocks, gravel or shrubs as well as protects boats from damage.

http://www.biosafe-inc.com/coatit.htm

Here's how it came out on my boat- A constant work in progress

That being said, I'll wait a bit to try it on my yak- Give it a field test on the boat first. If I had a less expensive yak I wouldn't hesitate to try it, but this stuff was so sticky I don't think you would get it off once you started. I do think it would work though.
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:52 AM   #9
StinkyMatt

Thank you all for the help, asking you saves a lot of time and problems in my learning.

Unlike cowboy Bill, from Texas, (where everything is BIG) I can't just hang my plumbing over the side......not after seeing those killer whale reports lately....
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:07 AM   #10
TT5150
Slayer

If your really concerned about pissin look up condom catheters, if you know a nurse they can get em. Motorcycle shops sell them, so the goldwing guys can go while riding weird but cool.
TT5150 is offline   Reply With Quote