Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2010, 07:30 PM   #1
ship 4 brains

Rod Building

I would like to give rod building a shot. How have people gotten started? Does a local shop have a class, or just learn by trial and error?
ship 4 brains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
dfroggy54
Rolly

A hole lotta patience and
Old 12-19-2010, 06:29 AM   #3
Adam12

Check out the rod building forum on bloody decks.
Adam12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:57 AM   #4
Hunters Pa

1 - Start simple

2 - be patient

3 - do it to relax

Heres a link that has my basic setup
http://www.kayaksportfishing.com/php...pic.php?t=9593

Would be happy to have you stop by if you are local or in the area. I'll show you the basics. You don't need to get a drying motor at the onset if you don't want to. Could wrap at home & have a tackle shop that builds do the flexcoat for you.

I'm in La Mirada and am off until after New Years. Wrapping is a great rainy day activity for when you can't get on the water.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:06 AM   #5
dmrides

I had to replace a couple of guides once and used the rotisserie motor from my bbq as a make shift drying motor. I made a chuck out of a 2 inch pvc cap and some screws and a couple of stands out of some scrap wood and felt that I had. It was a little ghetto, but it worked great and did not cost more than a couple of bucks.
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:09 AM   #6
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmrides View Post
I had to replace a couple of guides once and used the rotisserie motor from my bbq as a make shift drying motor. I made a chuck out of a 2 inch pvc cap and some screws and a couple of stands out of some scrap wood and felt that I had. It was a little ghetto, but it worked great and did not cost more than a couple of bucks.

You just described my setup that I have been using for about 10 years. I have a power wrapper, but the ghetto setup is more flexible & less unweildy
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:20 AM   #7
dmrides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunters Pa View Post
You just described my setup that I have been using for about 10 years. I have a power wrapper, but the ghetto setup is more flexible & less unweildy
That's funny, I guess I should have looked at your link before I described your set up. By the way, that new penny wrap job is insane. We kayakers certainly are a breed of people who have to do it ourselves. Home made bait tanks, fish finder mounts, rod building racks etc.

Ship4brains, I say just go for it. Try it first on an old rod that needs some guides replaced, then move on to a new rod you want to do from scratch. There are tons of videos on you tube that demonstrate the process and give you some cool ideas of how to make it look awesome. Have fun.
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:27 AM   #8
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship 4 brains View Post
I would like to give rod building a shot. How have people gotten started? Does a local shop have a class, or just learn by trial and error?
It's a lot of fun and yes it takes a lot of patience. Here are a few sites you'll want to become familiar with.
http://www.mudhole.com/?gclid=COjyoP...FQdMgwodgzyeoA

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/rod-bui...FQYLbAodJl_rAg

There are instructional videos on Mud Hole and Janns and I recommend watching those as well as some YouTube.com videos. Once you learn the basics it can be applied to all repairs, and new builds. I have built 2 Freshwater rods, I am in the process of building a Seeker Tuna Stick, and have re-wrapped an old trolling rod that I have. I recommend in investing is a rod wrapping stand it will make life easier.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:37 AM   #9
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Try a google search for rod wrapping videos that will help you get started. They will show you how to get the wrap started, and whipping, etc. I bought a Doc Ski video some time ago, his acid wash jeans are outdated, but it was helpful. I have fixed a lot of my rods that had a few guides messed up due to the harsh kayak fishing conditions.

Squidco has everything you need to get started.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqFgZ9cnTgI
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:47 AM   #10
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackerel View Post
Try a google search for rod wrapping videos that will help you get started. They will show you how to get the wrap started, and whipping, etc. I bought a Doc Ski video some time ago, his acid wash jeans are outdated, but it was helpful. I have fixed a lot of my rods that had a few guides messed up due to the harsh kayak fishing conditions.

Squidco has everything you need to get started.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqFgZ9cnTgI
I agree also with this post, I forgot that Squidco had all the same things you can order online, and it's a local shop. It's also better to see what you are buying.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:01 AM   #11
dfroggy54
Rolly

Just to get the ball rolling..reasonable drying motor.

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-rpm-rod-dryer-...item4aa7157af6

Mudhole has got some cheaper ones too without the chuck

Last edited by dfroggy54; 12-19-2010 at 08:13 AM.
dfroggy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:56 PM   #12
fongman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmrides
I had to replace a couple of guides once and used the rotisserie motor from my bbq as a make shift drying motor. It was a little ghetto, but it worked great and did not cost more than a couple of bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunters Pa View Post
This is also similar to my setup that dates back about 25 years. The motor I used to turn the rod for wrapping came from my mom's vintage Singer sewing machine.

Don't worry about trying something and not liking it. I rebuilt the first 2 rods I made a couple of times each.
fongman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:41 PM   #13
Mr GreenJeans

Rod Building

If you are looking for local classes, post your question on the Rod Builders forum on Bloody Decks. BakerStreetBobby has free classes every 1st, 3rd and 5th Wednesday at Glenn's Tackle in Costa Mesa. Not sure where you live, so that may not be close enough to help you. If there are other classes available, the folks on the BD forum will know about it.
Mr GreenJeans is offline   Reply With Quote