Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 11:32 AM   #21
BWE
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohloe1 View Post
I can't even find my reply, anymore. -Dennis
Dennis, you seemed to have posted twice, and deleted both of them yourself.

As it sounds like you didn't intend to remove that post, one of your replies has just been restored (they're both the same).
Old 02-19-2007, 11:42 AM   #22
ski

C'mon peeps! What happened to the old comraderie?
Fu@k it!
It's only fishing
Old 02-19-2007, 12:47 PM   #23
Ryan The Sealion

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
Whatever Ryan, jealousy doesn't become you.

The thing that bothers me is when guys use me or the other "regulars" as a reference. I was well off the "spot", just preparing to move back up, when a pair of guys pull up on either side, 50 ft away. I never slide in on anyone other than a friend. There is a certain buffer zone that I think most of us use and respect and it's annoying when someone gets closer than that for no reason. In fact, it's better for all if we spread out and find them, rather than stacking up on one spot.
I agree...I hate when people I don't know drag 100 yds. of line right next to me..you just pissed me off when I was pulling up to dan last thursday (with no lines in the water) to say whats up, and you lied right to my face as if to say get the hell away theres no yt around here..not cool man..
Old 02-19-2007, 01:18 PM   #24
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Quote:

The thing that bothers me is when guys use me or the other "regulars" as a reference. I was well off the "spot", just preparing to move back up, when a pair of guys pull up on either side, 50 ft away. I never slide in on anyone other than a friend. There is a certain buffer zone that I think most of us use and respect and it's annoying when someone gets closer than that for no reason. In fact, it's better for all if we spread out and find them, rather than stacking up on one spot.
Are you sure they weren't drawn in close by the smell of burgers on the grill

Perhaps we should have a sticky thread: "La Jolla Kayak Fishing Rules of Etiquette". The "regulars" (the camouflage fleet) could list what they feel to be standards of good conduct. This could be valuable for all of the neophytes that use this forum. It might help with the learning curve and reduce some of the hard feelings that have come to light over the last few days. Censoring reports or just not posting really takes from the value of the forum. Obviously, the forum is only as good as the information that is posted. I know it has to be a pain in the ass when the typical LJ winter weekday solitude is shattered by a crowd of yaks and stinkboaters drawn by a couple of good reports. That's an unfortunate byproduct of the growing popularity of the sport. As annoying as it can be, I'd keep in mind that this increased popularity has also had some positive impact: more and better paddle shops, a wide variety of new, fishing-specific kayaks and accessories and team sponsorships.
One more thought; the Saturday crowd wasn't necessarily a direct result of posted reports. The fact that best weather in a month happened at the start of a holiday weekend could also have had some impact. I noticed that there were more small boats running around San Diego Bay this weekend than all of the last 4 weekends combined.
I would hope that the regulars will continue to provide timely reports. There is some great info on this forum and it provides some cheap entertainment for those who can't get out on a regular basis. I'd also hope that everybody can show a little respect to their fellow anglers and give them some fishing room.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:36 PM   #25
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

I really enjoy others peoples fish reports. They don't have to give classified details, and the report doesn't even have to be timely. I just really enjoy looking at the pictures of nice fish with happy fisherman, and hearing their cool anecdotes and stories about the day, even if there is nothing really usefull said.

When I was just a newbie at this I used to be annoyed when people didn't put detail into their reports. Now I don't care. Go out and make your own report. I sometimes can read between the lines anyways.

As for the people that fish all the time and have the real time info, it is their perogative as to whether or not they want to make it public. They spent their time on the water, and the info they got is theirs to do as they please. The combination of all the boats/kayaks all with their own sonar, bait tanks, motors etc on one spot does drive the bite down. On Sunday there wasn't even enough space between all the watercraft for the fish to come up and boil even if they wanted to.

To answer a couple questions
wsb, greenie
yt, iron
both hooked early

How did a weekend roundup turn into a pissing contest?

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

Old 02-19-2007, 01:48 PM   #26
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Tyler
Why don't you take a week off and go to Mexico. Maybe the sh*t you started with this post will have died down by then
Old 02-19-2007, 01:58 PM   #27
madscientist

Ryan, you came up and asked if they were cuda. I thought you were being funny, given the huge boils, so I said "yeah" with a big sarcastic grin. I thought you realized I was being facetious and after I heard Dan tell you what happened I knew you were filled in anyway. I was also frustrated since that was the 5th trip in a row where I had big YT boiling all around me but couldn't get them to bite. I'd prefer it you PM'ed me if you thought I was dissing you, rather than call me names on the board, but it made me chuckle anyhow. BTW, I released 3 sandies, a calico, and an out-of-season whitefish last week. Not bad for "kill everything that hits my line". But I did punch the calico in the head (j/k). lollol

The bigger issue here is that some people feel they are somehow entitled to current reports. I don't get this, but it seems to happen on all the boards as they grow. When I started fishing here, I posted religiously as a form of payback for all of the excellent information I had absorbed from the boards. I tried to earn the respect of the regulars with whom I shared the water by fishing hard, being interested but not pushy, and doing my best to follow the unspoken etiquette that exists. Then at some point, I started getting a lot of PMs from people I've never met asking for precise fishing spots, current weather reports, and whatnot. At this point, I fish regardless of current reports and, unless it's from someone I know and trust, I consider most publicly posted info to be highly suspect at best.

I've come around to Adi's point of view about a closed forum for WCW. Not as a means to exclude anyone, but so that we all know who we are talking to. Friday night there were over 25 "guest" accounts viewing this board compared to a handful of registered users. It's easy to get fooled into thinking we are talking among ourselves (the 30-40 people who regularly post a report or comment) but the reality is that all those "guests" are soaking up information without contributing as much as a "nice fish" comment.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:07 PM   #28
Iceman
Administrator

I am not speaking as BWE as a whole but as a contributing member with some input.

Posting (or not) is completely a personal preference, as well as how much detail and when you post. There has always been an unspoken "don't tell someone elses story" I think the decision to close the reports to members only was a smart one (you now have to log in to view just the reports section) because it keeps it in the family, the bigger a forum gets the less intimate.

I also get a big kick out of the information that I willingly share, just maybe contributing to someones sucess. There were some people who got their first winter yt and I'd like to think that I put that above me getting my 3rd...this year.

We are all individuals posting. I am kind of surprized by some of the responses, but not completely. Some decisions individuals have made would be better for the whole if not spelled out, just post if you want and include what you want, when you want.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:35 PM   #29
lamb

Well said Andy.

We’re all entitled to have our own opinion, and we ought to be able to freely share it.

I’m sorry if some people may have been hurt or upset by my remarks. Although I've been heavily involved with BWE board tech upgrade lately, I’d like to emphasize that the comments I make by no means reflect “BWE Politics”. I'm just an individual contributor; my comments are my personal take on any given subject. Whenever the subject is “touchy”, I make sure I indicate that. I did that in this last tourbulent episode.

On making WCW only private board – as far as I know, that idea has never found any wider acceptance in BWE circles. I still think it’s a great idea. For one, you’d never have situations like this…

Another solution would be to turn off the frakin’ internet… lol Where's the button?

http://turnofftheinternet.com/

Last edited by lamb; 02-19-2007 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:43 PM   #30
dorado50

Fishing is supposed to be challenging. And finding fish is part of it. Common courtesy says that if a guy is fishing on or around a certain spot stay away, stay on the outside, and or,find your on fish. First come first served like a kelp paddy maybe ? Next point, if people and or boats are around you and your annoyed move away, or sink their ship. Find your own fish! I personally pay a high price for not sliding up on others fishing ,in my kayak or my boat, not catching a fish but at least when I do catch fish I found them! not someone else.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:50 PM   #31
Ryan The Sealion

Quote:
Ryan, you came up and asked if they were cuda. I thought you were being funny, given the huge boils, so I said "yeah" with a big sarcastic grin. I thought you realized I was being facetious and after I heard Dan tell you what happened I knew you were filled in anyway. I was also frustrated since that was the 5th trip in a row where I had big YT boiling all around me but couldn't get them to bite. I'd prefer it you PM'ed me if you thought I was dissing you, rather than call me names on the board, but it made me chuckle anyhow.
I dunno man you seemed pretty serious when I asked you..Me n D were actually on our way in cuz the cuda were getting pesky, but a spot of yellow popped up in front of us right outside the reserve... then we saw the birds on you guys...Figured I'd go ask dan it was cuda or tail..when I got there you said "yeah just cuda"... you posted the same thing in ur report (that you just saw a bunch of cuda) , when you really had YT damn near bumping ur yaks.

I could care less what people post..I actually like it better when it's slow cuz theres no crowd
Old 02-19-2007, 03:20 PM   #32
Ryan The Sealion

btw brad ur still the "kill everything you catch/7 rod @ a time" scientist...I just hope someday...if I'm dumb enough to get married...I have the bitch under control as good as you and am able to fish as much as you do
Old 02-19-2007, 03:33 PM   #33
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

I'm all for a private board... I only posted my report because there were YT reports the last half of last week and then some on Saturday. If it's a deal, I'll just take to PMs and send it to friends and aquaintances. If anyone has a problem with what I do.. on here or on the water, let me know. There is a good chance that I didn't do it on purpose and would like to know what not to do... I still consider myselp a noob who has a lot to learn...
Old 02-19-2007, 03:37 PM   #34
madscientist

Ryan, I did see a bunch of cuda. I never posted that that was all I saw. You told me the same thing.

Funny thing, most women don't like being called "bitch". But it's amazing what they'll let you get away with if you treat them with respect.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:46 PM   #35
Ryan The Sealion

Quote:
Ryan, I did see a bunch of cuda. I never posted that that was all I saw. You told me the same thing.

Funny thing, most women don't like being called "bitch". But it's amazing what they'll let you get away with if you treat them with respect.
@ my age its the opposite treat em like dirt and they are in love...give em respect and they try to walk all over ya :lol1:
Old 02-19-2007, 03:51 PM   #36
madscientist

So, to sum up...

Old 02-19-2007, 04:01 PM   #37
DESTROYER

LOCALS ONLY

C'mon guys! Andy said it the best, then again, Andy's always been a class act...go figure . I for one could see though the post, call it experience, but when the shit gets thick and post get long when there saying nothing was caught . I for one think people take the internet way to serious. Even these icons sometimes can't help you not look like a jerk. I was lucky enough to get into kayak fishing a long while back. We used to have LJ all to ourselves and I gotta say, I like it better now when you have 30 of your closest friends out there. I counted 25+ kayakers out there on Sunday and who got the YT.....Andy, Tyler Durden, and Gary Sulliven. There were a lot of other great fisherman out there, I guess what I'm trying to say, it doesn't matter if the yakkers are stacked up on any given day, the usual suspects almost always get their fish.

I've got to say to Brad, you did this to yourself posting all those sweet pictures of your catches. Your face has become a icon on this site and Bloody Decks. If you don't want people fishing next to you, blur your face out. I was saying to Todd as we went back in on Sunday, "Look at all those PB around the Dolphin"! "You would think that if you spent $30,000 on a boat, you could find your own spot". Most fisherman don't trust their own instincts and that's why they follow you, plus your good. Take it as a compliment

My 2 CENTS!

Matt Moyer
Old 02-19-2007, 05:49 PM   #38
frugalfisher

Nice Fish Tyler!

Someday I'll get one.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:52 PM   #39
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

can't we all just get alomg? come on guys, its only gonna get worse, you cant stop the population, or can you? That ghost looks mean, or dead
Old 02-20-2007, 10:24 AM   #40
chefstefano

I am new on this broad & as well as La Jolla Kayak fishing ........I grew up in this area but have been living in Monterey for a long while working as a chef. I would be fishing Big Sur A lot by myself no other kayaks (most of the time) and no motor boats it was great but lonely as well. I was always on the nor cal site ( they hosted a huge benefit for me fighting my cancer)and made a bunch of great friends (over the years) that I fished with as much as possible. now I find myself back down in San Diego living with my parents because I am battling cancer in which I almost died from. I am coming back and getting stronger and should hopefully be back fishing off my yak in La Jolla by April. why I am telling you all this....... your posts on here as well as La Jolla kayaking site have been a Strong force in keeping me going something to look forward to....a passion of mine that I have not been able to do for months.........So thank all you and please keep them coming I have met a few of you guys and can't wait to be able to fish with you

Steve/ chefstefano