Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 06-18-2010, 07:13 AM   #41
herefishyfishy!

Dave, all I gotta say is "tienes grande juevos!" Go for it man! There will always be haters no matter what you do. I can't wait to read the book!

Evan
Old 06-18-2010, 07:21 AM   #42
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

Will be sending positive thoughts your way on your journey.

How many in your chase crew do you have now?

Someone with a sailboat would be really key. You could stay on the water most of the time. Using the sail boat as a mother ship.

Post your safety/first aid gear list if you are willing.

Steve
sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:44 AM   #43
MalibuJohnny

A little wind can help

All kidding aside, Your trip will certinly be watched by many of us who wish we had the time or the balls to take on such a challange. Having said that I think this may be a solution to tired arms mid way...

Check this out http://www.pacificaction.com/
Old 06-18-2010, 08:12 AM   #44
Kirk
Junior

Book by some dude who walked around the Peninsula

That is going to be a serious adventure.

MY cousin gave me a book by a guy named Graham Mackintosh who walked down one side of the peninsula and back up the other side several years ago.

http://www.amazon.com/Into-Desert-Pl...tt_at_ep_dpt_1

The book my cousin gave me was actually his second one where he walked down the middle of the peninsula to Loreto with a donkey. If the first one is anything like the second, he will have a lot of practical statements about how he did things, in addition to little exposes on Baja California history.

Good luck.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:25 AM   #45
stairman

cojones

I love to see people with dreams but would suggest you do a trip out around sci and cat and back first....your gonna need to cross at about punta baja to punta eugenia to shorten the trip and that sci round trip is about the same distance.When and if you can stay in the yak that long and paddle that far then go for it.
stairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:56 AM   #46
steamroll

Dave,

Bring your kayak by OEX Oceanside and we'll install an electronic bilge pump system in your kayak FREE of charge.

Nate
Old 06-18-2010, 10:43 AM   #47
driftwood

Dave, If the bad weather doesn't put a stop to your trip, Mr montezuma revenge will Soon or later, your gonna have to drink water from the local towns.

You don't want monty paying you a visit in the middle of the ocean. Its tough paddling on your knees. Don't ask me how i know. Be safe and have fun!
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:20 PM   #48
MalibuJohnny

Now now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
Dave, If the bad weather doesn't put a stop to your trip, Mr montezuma revenge will Soon or later, your gonna have to drink water from the local towns.

You don't want monty paying you a visit in the middle of the ocean. Its tough paddling on your knees. Don't ask me how i know. Be safe and have fun!
I will buy the first box
Old 06-18-2010, 02:44 PM   #49
mtnbykr2

wow this sounds like a great adventure so long as the weather holds out
and you dont have any Abby Sunderland conditions, but I am sure that has been takin into consideration.
I will definately keep an eye on your progress, and I hope you catch all you can handle have a great and safe
trip, b.....
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:45 PM   #50
TCS

As I was driving home from work thinking what it would be like to bail for a few months on a pure adventure, it dawned be. Wasabi. take a tube of wasabi for the raw fish.

btw. Have you read The Old Man and the Sea?
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:30 PM   #51
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Sounds like a blast, may Neptune reward you with a safe passage.

To the nay-sayers, the further you go into Mex, the better the hospitality. Some of my fondest memories of Mex were at Erindira and San Q, you make it that far, hit the fish camps and tell them what your plan is, you will be taken care of.

Wish I could join you, epic to say the least...Buenas suerte...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:18 AM   #52
Anthony179
A.T.

Trouble Is Everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
Ok, someone has to ask. Where the hell do you plan to sleep and eat? Baja can be great but sometimes the natives do not welcome strangers with open arms.

Camping on a beach that may be in the middle of some drug trafficker's turf could be interesting. I know of several people who have been robbed and the women raped while on an innocent camping trip in the wilds of Baja. I have heard stories of people being shot for no apparent reason. One of my son's friends was killed and dismembered for being in the wrong place a the wrong time somewhere south of Tijuana.

If you pull into some village for a little R&R, how do you plan to secure your yak and all the gear while you are on the beach? You will have to sleep sometime.

From my prospective it looks like you will be trolling for trouble for most of this trip. Am I missing something?

I wish you the best but fear for the worst.

Bob

Ethan Esparza (KCAL)

POMONA, Calif. (CBS/AP) After more than three years, the family of Ethan Esparza, the 3-year-old who was gunned down in front of his grandmother's home at his own birthday party, can rest a little easier knowing that police have finally made an arrest in the seemingly random tragedy.

Ethan was playing in front of his grandmother's house in Pomona, Calif., about 30 miles east of Los Angeles, on the day before his fourth birthday, when five or six shots rang out, killing little Ethan and wounding a 16-year-old boy.

Police at the time believed it was gang-related and that two other men standing nearby were the intended targets.

Police finally made an arrest Wednesday, taking Pablo Adame into custody just moments after he was released from prison on an unrelated domestic violence case.

"He didn't deserve to die the way he did," Ethan's mother, Alma Torres Esparza told CBS affiliate KCAL at the time of the shooting. "He suffered before he left. He was fighting for his life."

A month after the shooting a $50,000 reward was offered under the Governor's Reward program.

Adame, who is being held on $4 million bail, is scheduled to be arraigned June 29.

Sorry to hear what happened to the people you know. But the same thing that is happening in Mexico is happening out here. The difference is that in Mexico they are called Cartels and are fighting to control the drug industry. And in California they are called gangs. And they fight for drug turf and streets that they don't even own.

Good luck on trip Wavster. Can't wait to read about your trip when you get back.
Anthony179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:11 PM   #53
Thresher_Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony179 View Post
Ethan Esparza (KCAL)

POMONA, Calif. (CBS/AP) After more than three years, the family of Ethan Esparza, the 3-year-old who was gunned down in front of his grandmother's home at his own birthday party, can rest a little easier knowing that police have finally made an arrest in the seemingly random tragedy.

Ethan was playing in front of his grandmother's house in Pomona, Calif., about 30 miles east of Los Angeles, on the day before his fourth birthday, when five or six shots rang out, killing little Ethan and wounding a 16-year-old boy.

Police at the time believed it was gang-related and that two other men standing nearby were the intended targets.

Police finally made an arrest Wednesday, taking Pablo Adame into custody just moments after he was released from prison on an unrelated domestic violence case.

"He didn't deserve to die the way he did," Ethan's mother, Alma Torres Esparza told CBS affiliate KCAL at the time of the shooting. "He suffered before he left. He was fighting for his life."

A month after the shooting a $50,000 reward was offered under the Governor's Reward program.

Adame, who is being held on $4 million bail, is scheduled to be arraigned June 29.

Sorry to hear what happened to the people you know. But the same thing that is happening in Mexico is happening out here. The difference is that in Mexico they are called Cartels and are fighting to control the drug industry. And in California they are called gangs. And they fight for drug turf and streets that they don't even own.

Good luck on trip Wavster. Can't wait to read about your trip when you get back.
Sorry, don't buy it. When's the last time a group of fishermen were assaulted by locals on a trip to the sierras or big sur? Sure there's violent crime in the states, but Mexico is a completely different ball game. Fishermen, kayakers, surfers and tourists are ROUTINELY targeted in Mex, especially camping in remote wilderness areas. Not the case in the States.
Thresher_Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:29 PM   #54
wavster

My Baja tackle box

Here's what's in my tackle box so far for this trip:

If anyone has any great suggestions for additional
tackle, that would be great (provided I have room).
Old 06-19-2010, 09:38 PM   #55
Siebler

No rapalas dave?

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:53 PM   #56
WahooUSMA

I've done a lot of crazy stuff in my life - dropped into some serious shit holes, some I thought I would not make it out, but had a ball. No regrets. I wish you the best of luck and I am certain your travels will touch us all in one way or another. I only wish I could go! If you land in San Quentin, stop in and say 'hey' to Kelly and Oscar at K & M. They will hook you up for the night. If you would want me to reach out to them, just let me know. I'll drop them a landline. Roger>>
> >
Vaya con Dios, Brah! >>

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:37 PM   #57
johnny7754
Junior

Have a Great Time

Good luck with your trip! 99.5% of the most hardcore dedicated fisherman are not willing to take action and make this type of trip a reality in their lifetime. Your grandkids will have an awesome story to tell about you if you complete this journey.

Take plenty of pictures, get as much rest as possible and drink lots of water. Be safe and have a great time. This type of trip is what dreams are made of!
Old 06-19-2010, 10:56 PM   #58
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

That's not a knife...

Hope that isn't the only knife you're taking with you, the one in the top left...an upgrade is in order, nice well honed dive blade and a bigger fillet knife as well and maybe a Hunter Honer to keep the blades sharp...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:54 AM   #59
wavster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post
No rapalas dave?
CJ: Center Top Right. I have 3 Rapalas, but 4 others I'm picking up
this week. Plus I have a couple of older ones that were camera
shy...

By the way, CJ, the top guide on my GraphTec jig stick is broken. What
would it cost to put on a new eye and how long would that take?
PM me and maybe we can get together. I have a Seeker rod
that I might use instead, but I like the Graphtec that I'm using
now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman View Post
Hope that isn't the only knife you're taking with you, the one in the top left...an upgrade is in order, nice well honed dive blade and a bigger fillet knife as well and maybe a Hunter Honer to keep the blades sharp...
Tman: Haha. That would be sad if those were my only knives...I just
pulled out all the tackle I've been buying and laid it out and took
that pic spur of the moment.

Here are the knives I have now:

I do have a couple of sharpening tools with multiple stones,
including a ceramic stone for a razor sharp edge.
FYI, I filleted my last YT with the blue knife to see how it would perform.
It worked great.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:03 AM   #60
Jim Sammons LJKF

I think there are some Rapalas in the top right.
Dave, Bring a pair of small bolt cutters or HEAVY cutting pliers, you need something that will easily cut those large hooks and Dykes won't do the trick. You may need to one handed cut a hook out of yourself.
Just thinking of the worst case scenario here.
We also have a new tips video showing how to remove a hook without pushing it through. Should be ready this week, I will post it up when it is done.
Good Luck Dave
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote