Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-17-2019, 04:48 AM   #1
SoCalEDC

Fishing gear help [??]

Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to kayak fishing, maybe 3-4 months into my journey now and I am headed to la Jolla on Sunday to Target WSB and YT for the first time. I have some mild fishing experience but always on charters in Baja so I didn't have to bring my own gear. I have some set ups that I'm thinking will be suitable but I don't want to go too light, or too heavy. I would like to take (3) set ups, 1 spin, 1 conventional, and one sabiki.

I was thinking I would bring these reels along, but I want to be sure they were up to the challenge:

-Daiwa bg5000 spooled w/ 40# braid no top shot (yet)
-Daiwa sealine 50H or Penn 309 both with 40# braid+50# top shot
-Daiwa bg4000 or Shimano Sonora 4000 with 30# braid for the sabiki rig.

All of them will be on matching rods either 15-40# or 12-25# (sabiki)

I have some larger sealine conventional reels I could bring, a 300 size baitcaster, and some lighter spinning reels (bass stuff), but the reels above are the reels I had in mind.

Am I going to break fish off, get spooled, smoke my reels, or are these going to take the fun out of fighting the fish?

Thanks in advance for the help
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:27 AM   #2
chris138
donkey roper

I think you are dialed. Should be great. The sealine will be your live bait rig. 40# braid is a bit light but shouldn't be a problem. Maybe drop down to 30 or 40# mono for the topshot.

I personally would recommend a carolina rig rather than a flyline for your first trip. Covers more of the water column. I like to run my c-rig with 3-4oz sliding egg, with the braid tied strait to the swivel. Then about a 3-4' leader of mono or flouro.

Another tip... if you want to catch a WSB, fish the biggest greenbacks you can catch. YT will also eat a huge bait. Cheers!
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:45 AM   #3
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris138 View Post
I think you are dialed. Should be great. The sealine will be your live bait rig. 40# braid is a bit light but shouldn't be a problem. Maybe drop down to 30 or 40# mono for the topshot.

I personally would recommend a carolina rig rather than a flyline for your first trip. Covers more of the water column. I like to run my c-rig with 3-4oz sliding egg, with the braid tied strait to the swivel. Then about a 3-4' leader of mono or flouro.

Another tip... if you want to catch a WSB, fish the biggest greenbacks you can catch. YT will also eat a huge bait. Cheers!
Thanks Chris, you da man!
Old 04-17-2019, 09:28 AM   #4
Mahigeer

First step in kayak fishing in La Jolla, is to make it pass the surf, and getting back.

Depending on conditions of course.

It may be better to take an empty kayak and experiment with getting in and out of water few times.

Otherwise you will get familiar with the term "yard sale" quickly.

Be sure all the gear is leashed, and secure as well when you decide to go for it.

Best of luck.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:45 AM   #5
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
First step in kayak fishing in La Jolla, is to make it pass the surf, and getting back.

Depending on conditions of course.

It may be better to take an empty kayak and experiment with getting in and out of water few times.

Otherwise you will get familiar with the term "yard sale" quickly.

Be sure all the gear is leashed, and secure as well when you decide to go for it.

Best of luck.
Thanks Mahi!

Edit: Well looks like the surf will not permit us to get out on Sunday. Bummer, still great info for the future thanks guys!

Last edited by SoCalEDC; 04-17-2019 at 12:49 PM.