Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 05-04-2016, 03:45 PM   #1
Superduper
Junior

Wide Open Thresher Shark Fishing in La Jolla

Never expected to be part of a thresher frenzy today. Making bait off the condo and they showed up in force. Saw aerials, bendo's and see ya's i'm being towed... I got bit and saw my spectra start smoking... put it in gear and pop! never had a chance. 40 lb leader not enough. 10 mins later double. Had one on and the other line screaming. Pop goes the screamer. I'm still fighting the other one but thinking any minute it will go pop. lightened up the drag and off I went. By the way they were all in around 60-70 feet water. Heading out toward the horizon I realize im all alone. 90' 100' 110' 120' gradually made it to 210' and he decided to do the spiral downward. I held on. 50 mins later I gained on him. Now at the surface I realized this will be challenging all alone. So survival mode kicked in. Think Steve think...I made an attempt to cut where his body met the tail but my knife was dull. Ok now what. Decided to do a couple of head shots with knife and that worked. ok what's next. placed a rope around his tail and dragged him back to where I hooked him. Came up on Josh and his friend and asked for help getting him on my yak so I could make the paddle back in. Josh was very helpful and took some cool shots. Thanks bud. Made it to an easy landing and saw another thresher on the beach that was much bigger than mine. 1st thresher for me. what a day... Steaks tonight for me and my friends...
Attached Images

Superduper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:29 PM   #2
YTHunter
Carlisle

Nice post! Thanks for the story!
Old 05-04-2016, 04:40 PM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

free jumpers, free swimmers. Crazy, I was very happy to only be a spectator.........I was like another guy that yanked his bait away from the tail slapper, saying "No!, No!"

I could not avoid the dogs, luckily I made a bunch of greenies

BTW, launch was not open when we launched at first light, but was upon landing. Soft sand, I opted to not risk getting stuck.

Last edited by Iceman; 05-04-2016 at 05:00 PM.
Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:52 PM   #4
jorluivil

Someone should post a 'How to dress Thresher' tutorial. I'd like to see what it takes to get them cleaned up while you're on the water.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:57 PM   #5
iethinker

Meat

That's a lot of meat. Good job!
iethinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:17 PM   #6
pingpangdang

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Someone should post a 'How to dress Thresher' tutorial. I'd like to see what it takes to get them cleaned up while you're on the water.
x2 on that...Yani I don't think I've seen any thresher recipes either. Would like to know more.
pingpangdang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:22 PM   #7
pingpangdang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superduper View Post
Never expected to be part of a thresher frenzy today. Making bait off the condo and they showed up in force. Saw aerials, bendo's and see ya's i'm being towed... I got bit and saw my spectra start smoking... put it in gear and pop! never had a chance. 40 lb leader not enough. 10 mins later double. Had one on and the other line screaming. Pop goes the screamer. I'm still fighting the other one but thinking any minute it will go pop. lightened up the drag and off I went. By the way they were all in around 60-70 feet water. Heading out toward the horizon I realize im all alone. 90' 100' 110' 120' gradually made it to 210' and he decided to do the spiral downward. I held on. 50 mins later I gained on him. Now at the surface I realized this will be challenging all alone. So survival mode kicked in. Think Steve think...I made an attempt to cut where his body met the tail but my knife was dull. Ok now what. Decided to do a couple of head shots with knife and that worked. ok what's next. placed a rope around his tail and dragged him back to where I hooked him. Came up on Josh and his friend and asked for help getting him on my yak so I could make the paddle back in. Josh was very helpful and took some cool shots. Thanks bud. Made it to an easy landing and saw another thresher on the beach that was much bigger than mine. 1st thresher for me. what a day... Steaks tonight for me and my friends...
Went out last Saturday...few guys out and it was gusty and seas were rough. Had a screamer on a mac and it broke off my 50lb flouro....rest of the morning listening to the radio I hear airborne sharks, bendos like mine and break offs...

Seems like they have been active...

I know nothing about how they taste and how to clean etc...time for some googling
Old 05-04-2016, 05:24 PM   #8
momo fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingpangdang View Post
x2 on that...Yani I don't think I've seen any thresher recipes either. Would like to know more.

Actually Yani is pretty good at both and I believe there is a video out there showing him handling one beautifully...
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:35 PM   #9
ctfphoto

Duuuuude!
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:38 PM   #10
SmokinBass

Excellent report thanks and congrats!
SmokinBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:56 PM   #11
captnblood34

Way to go man! Launched and landed about the same time as you two weeks ago, good job again on the YT.

Jay
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:03 PM   #12
figbeetle
Junior

Are threshers worth eating? I had bought some from Sprouts and it was bad-dark and tough when BBQ
figbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:04 PM   #13
broncobilly

NICE!!! Beautiful fish.
Glad to see you made up for Monday.

Stoked to hear the launch is open too!!!
broncobilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:12 PM   #14
americas911
US Marine

Send a message via AIM to americas911
Congrats man! Much deserved after those skunks on mon and tues. Something told me today would be good to go, but work was calling!

Doug (Dune Outback)
americas911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:45 PM   #15
pingpangdang

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo fish View Post
Actually Yani is pretty good at both and I believe there is a video out there showing him handling one beautifully...
I'll have to dig it up

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2016, 09:25 PM   #16
FISH11

Congrats, that is one beautiful Thresher!
Old 05-05-2016, 06:28 AM   #17
PapaDave

Nice fish, I like fighting them, and they taste pretty good as well.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:08 AM   #18
FullFlavorPike

You landed just after me. Nice fish, dude. Enjoy those steaks!
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:27 AM   #19
smokie

Congrats on your first thresher! I bet it was one hell of a ride.
smokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:13 AM   #20
jdub24
Junior

Wide open thresher

Nice job man! I was really close from reeling one up. Fought it for 40 mins,But my reel was about to fly off the rod. I asked you for a flat screwdriver on the water yesterday.. Glad you caught it!
jdub24 is offline   Reply With Quote