Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2011, 05:33 AM   #1
BrokeLoser

Reel issue...slow free spool..how to fix?

I got a like brand new Sealine 'slosh' 20..this thing looks almost un-used and everything seems to function perfectly but the free spool seems a little slow. I'd like to avoid sending it in for a full overall. Is their a 'quick fix' for this?
BrokeLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:00 AM   #2
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Talking

alan tani

http://alantani.com/index.php?PHPSES...9lo5&board=7.0

congrats on the reel.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:51 AM   #3
fishsouthcounty

i donno anything about daiwa as i have never owned one...and honestly i am not even sure exactly what its referred to on my shimanos but i think its a casting something or other....but its on the crank side of the reel almost underneath the drag adjustment crank. Round adjustable knob that you can turn. When turned counterclock wise or back toward you from a completely close position it loosens the tension on the spool and allows it to throw more freely. Allows you to adjust for how you cast, less or more thumb pressure as well as quicker or slower drops to the bottom based on your weights.
fishsouthcounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:15 AM   #4
taggermike

I have the same reel and it had amazing free spool right out of the box and after years of use still does. Check gold spool tention knob, gold cap under the star drag. If that is tight loosening it will improve free spool. If that doesn't do it then might be a bearing issue. Like in Allen Tani"s tutorial, if you pack the bearings in heavy grease you loose some free spool. The preveus ouner might have used some axle grease or some thing. If that's not it you might have some corroded bearings. Bad bearings often make the reel feel rough or jerky. That's about all I can think of. You can follow the tutorial or send it in to Daiwa. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:18 AM   #5
BrokeLoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
Wow..looks like more daiwa info than I will ever need. Thanks for the resource.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:24 AM   #6
BrokeLoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsouthcounty View Post
i donno anything about daiwa as i have never owned one...and honestly i am not even sure exactly what its referred to on my shimanos but i think its a casting something or other....but its on the crank side of the reel almost underneath the drag adjustment crank. Round adjustable knob that you can turn. When turned counterclock wise or back toward you from a completely close position it loosens the tension on the spool and allows it to throw more freely. Allows you to adjust for how you cast, less or more thumb pressure as well as quicker or slower drops to the bottom based on your weights.
Yeah, even when I back the spool tension knob all the way out it still seems a bit slow compared to my 30 and 40. The thing is seriously like brand new, it's hard to believe the bearings could be shot. Could it be from just sitting for so long without being used? If I use it a bit maybe it will free up?
Old 03-02-2011, 07:53 AM   #7
kayakhunter

Some reels from the factory have greased bearings instead of oiled. If you remove the bearings clean them up you will most likely get improved freespool.

If the bearings are sealed remove the retaining ring and shield.

Soak them in some sort of solvent, rubbing alcohol, or lemon juice.

Dry them.

Apply some sort of reel oil, i use Corrosion X lube for saltwater.

Replace shield and retaining rings.

Just google Cleaning Bearings and a bunch of stuff will come up, most of it Skateboard bearings, but it is the same idea, maybe different oils.
kayakhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:01 AM   #8
onetriphudson

In the 90's, while I was in school I worked at some of the old Bobs Bait and Tackles (CV, Point Loma and La Mesa). Eventually I ended up doing a lot of their reel repair and the Daiwa stuff was the easiest to work on. If your reel is mint on the outside, I doubt then that natural elements are to blame for an interior problem. Just sitting around would not cause a bearing to gum up. What's possible is that someone swapped an axle or bearing for another reel - but why do that? After screwing up many reels myself and then learning to fix reels when others attempted their own rebuilds - I learned it only takes one misplaced washer to goof up the performance. I think it is highly likely that you've got an internal part backwards or out of place. You could send it to Daiwa or have it serviced by a shop. You could also get the schematic out, make a clean wide area for yourself to work and pull the reel apart. Start with the sideplates and go slow, paying attention to how stuff comes out. Lay it all down in sequence from left to right. I bet you will find a simple problem around the shaft or be able to identify the bunk bearing. Lightly oil bearings, lightly grease gears, and the drag washers have their own weird grease. Best to replace drags with new materials.
onetriphudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:53 AM   #9
-scallywag-
Banned

It sounds like one or both of the spool bearings is dragging. Even on new reels if they get accidentally dunked, the exposed spool bearings can quickly corrode.

Alan's site is a great resource! Take the time to learn how to service your reels, it's really very simple and the star drag reels are all very similar.

I've been servicing my reels along with a few of my friends using Alan's site for a long time now. One thing I would recommend is to open up all the bearings (like Alan's site says) and pack them all with grease and leave them open. Alan suggests using oil in the spool bearing, but on the yak the reels just get too wet. Also on a yak you don;t need 30sec of free spool on any of your bait/yoyo/sabiki rods....and with the jig sticks if the free spool is suffering just replace the spool bearings.

I even take apart brand new reels and pull all the bearing shields and pack them with grease to make the bearing last as long as possible. If you have higher end reels with the anti-reverse roller bearings also make sure that is packed with grease also.
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:23 AM   #10
BrokeLoser

Does anyone know how to get in touch with Alan Tani other than through the website? (alantani.com)
I've registered there twice, I'm not getting the 'activation' email from the site and their is no 'contact us' email link that I can find anywhere to notify an administrator.

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2011, 11:42 AM   #11
Hunters Pa

He frequents the forums at this NorCal site. Look for something to do with reels & you'll likely see a response from him

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/in...p?action=forum
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:48 AM   #12
BrokeLoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunters Pa View Post
He frequents the forums at this NorCal site. Look for something to do with reels & you'll likely see a response from him

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/in...p?action=forum

Perfect..I'll try that.
Thanks!
Old 03-02-2011, 11:52 AM   #13
Billy V

Do you have the gold cast control knob turned in too tight ????

-I bet you do.
--------------------------
Because there is no way a sealine won't free spool for a good long time right out of the box.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:21 PM   #14
BrokeLoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy V View Post
Do you have the gold cast control knob turned in too tight ????

-I bet you do.
--------------------------
Because there is no way a sealine won't free spool for a good long time right out of the box.

No, I've backed it all the way out and goofed with it.
I know this is no scientific method or anything but...In free spool, with no line loaded, with a good flick of the thumb how long should it spin?
Old 03-02-2011, 01:23 PM   #15
Regor
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeLoser View Post
Does anyone know how to get in touch with Alan Tani other than through the website? (alantani.com)
I've registered there twice, I'm not getting the 'activation' email from the site and their is no 'contact us' email link that I can find anywhere to notify an administrator.

Thanks!
Alan probably has to Accept your submittal for registration, which then kicks out an activation email. The forum is only a hobbie for him, as he has a "real" job
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote