Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-04-2019, 02:22 PM   #1
Aznronin

Almost run over by cattle boat

WTF is up with these stupid cattle boats parking on top of kayak anglers? Can’t these supposedly professional captains find their own fishing spots? While fishing Malibu, the Speed Twin headed straight toward my friends and I and literally parked right next to us and dropped anchor. Shortly after the Estella not only headed straight for us but literally headed straight toward me and at one point was probably almost 15 feet away from me and I literally thought he was going to run me over. The captains of those two boats are clueless and the captain of the Estella is just downright dangerous.
Aznronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 05:04 PM   #2
YakDout
Brandon

I know the feeling. The sum fun basically dusted my ass while I was tight on a big ass thresher in Dana point. Because of that pressure I was already rolling to one side of my yak and came very close to capsizing when his wake came over the gunnel of my yak.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:47 PM   #3
DanaPT

To boat captains, we are simply pests that can be forced to move on with help of their boat and anglers casting at you.

Did you stick it out?
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:51 PM   #4
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Some asshole on the Pacific queen....

Hit my canoe with a sabiki rig, at the bait receiver on Purpose if it happens again I will be calling the harbor police and filing charges.

Last edited by MITCHELL; 08-04-2019 at 08:05 PM.
MITCHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:54 PM   #5
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Last thing I want to do is get near

A cattle boat when I'm on the water.

Last edited by MITCHELL; 08-05-2019 at 04:53 AM.
MITCHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:16 AM   #6
monstahfish

F those boats. They're a scourge on the water and to anything that swims. They just want to kill as many fish as possible so they can sell the bite. I've done it twice and I'll never do it again. I think we've all had them roll up on us like that before, maybe not trying to make us speed bumps but very close. Last time I was into a good bite and they rolled up on me, I held my ground trolling circles just outside their casting range and outfished them. One of the passengers yelled to ask what the trick was I yelled back they should get a kayak and catch more fish.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 09:29 AM   #7
rackhenry

Wow, for someone just starting out Kayak Fishing, and in the same area you were fishing this sucks to hear!
rackhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:21 AM   #8
DragginPanda
Junior

I’d report them to someone. I don’t know who, but if it happened to me, then I’d find out.

I once fished a cattle boat where a personal boat with the bait chum slick. Some guy took it upon himself to throw lead weights at the boat.

Coast Guard was waiting at the dock.
DragginPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:46 AM   #9
ctfphoto

My absolute favorite was I think back in 2015 during a wide-open YT bite, All of La Jolla was a parking lot except for one section in front of the Condo.

I saw the New Seaforth coming from the Southwest and knew he would hit that hole. I quickly pedaled over to fill the empty spot on purpose. As the Captin was coming in, he saw me and turned around
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 10:02 AM   #10
FISH11

Talking

I have been lucky to not have a problem locally at LJ with the large boats. I did have one that really pissed me off, when fishing at San Clemente Island on a 2.5 day mother ship trip on the Islander on June 2016. On our last morning there I was catching small yellow after small yellow and there was a cattle boat nearby that leaves and I hook on to a large one that kept pulling full drag on my Avet reel. As I am making ground on getting him up and the rod is full bendo another cattle boat passes by and around behind me. I did not realized he made a circle and was about 50' behind me and releases his anchor. The giantick clatter noise from the chain sliding through the guide made the large yellow just head straight down and I had no way to stop it. In 100' of water when it got to the bottom, it wrapped me up on something that I was not able to free it from no matter how many different angles I tried to pull the line from. In the end I had to used a rod holder as a handle to pull the 65lb braid until it broke off. I know the captain had to know I was on something large because everyone on board was looking at me as they passed by. Can't remember the name of that cattle boat unless I saw it again. I also know a lot of them don't like kayaks because we make them look stupid, when we catch and land large Yellows when all they seem to be able to do is put their paying customers on some small rock fish, Ha Ha...

Last edited by FISH11; 08-06-2019 at 10:09 AM. Reason: spelling
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 12:27 PM   #11
Saba Slayer

Fish...?

But did you catch anything...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aznronin View Post
WTF is up with these stupid cattle boats parking on top of kayak anglers? Can’t these supposedly professional captains find their own fishing spots? While fishing Malibu, the Speed Twin headed straight toward my friends and I and literally parked right next to us and dropped anchor. Shortly after the Estella not only headed straight for us but literally headed straight toward me and at one point was probably almost 15 feet away from me and I literally thought he was going to run me over. The captains of those two boats are clueless and the captain of the Estella is just downright dangerous.

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 10:34 PM   #12
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

The Electra and Chubasco always steer around us and I’ve received a honk and wave from them while headed out to the mako grounds.
My schedule makes it so I’m always crossing paths with them as I head out and never had an issue. I even got in on some yellows next to the chubasco and they asked if I wanted a pic taken.