Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2015, 02:32 PM   #1
OnTheWater123
Junior

Thigh Straps - YAK

how many of you ride Thigh straps ? KNEE BRACES. ? and vice versa.... knee straps/ thigh braces....

wondering if these would help out a first timer like my self.
From everything i see looks like they would be a huge help with stabilization when launching and coming back in. Even in rough waters while fishing.

Last edited by OnTheWater123; 11-05-2015 at 02:42 PM.
OnTheWater123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 02:52 PM   #2
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Depends, surf zone, reaction time, split seconds. Time to put them on? Beginners should start out in the bays or on a lake. The surf zone is not where you should start After getting comfortable in the bay you will not need them, unless you are running class 4-5 rivers.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 06:11 PM   #3
skrilla

Would hate to be tangled with that in case of a flip.

Stabilization should come from your core muscles and keeping your head and body over the vessel.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:20 PM   #4
warburto

I had them on a boat I was borrowing (Necky Dolphin) and found them very uncomfortable when I tried them. But the Dolphin cockpit was way too small for me, so that might have been the bigger problem. I could see where someone might want them, but not me, and especially not when fishing.
warburto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 06:44 PM   #5
sanomick

like them

I really like having thigh straps when I am coming in through the surf. BUT go out and use them so you feel comfortable and know how to use them.

I agree that they are a huge help with stabilization when launching and coming back in. I use them in rough waters while fishing or when i have to deal with big wakes from PBs.

I have a Hobie revolution and don't use them, but use them all the time on my Wilderness systems 160. Just my two cents.
sanomick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 07:47 AM   #6
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Never used them. Usually if the surf is more than I like to come in on ill put my legs over the side for balance and to slow me down when a wave picks me up. Having my legs bound would suck in the instance I feel off balance and can't toss my legs over.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:39 AM   #7
Bajarick
Junior

I have straps for a surfing kayak but never thought about using them for my fishing kayak. They will give you a lot more control going thru rolling surf. I'd try them out surfing your rig before you put your stuff at risk. It's actually easy to get out of them if you huli. Biggest issue is how much time you have to get them on before the first wave hits you.
Bajarick is offline   Reply With Quote