Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2011, 05:56 AM   #1
Kailolo

Replacement Paddle?

Any suggestions for a replacement paddle, mostly to use in surf launch and reentrys. Thinking about a whitewater paddle with a big blade to punch thru surf with a better catrch and provide a better brace to ride in the waves.
The standard Hobie paddle with the Revo is a bit weak in those categories. The Cobra Powerflex was much better.
Kailolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:11 AM   #2
coxtanker421

standard hobie paddle will fold if you dig in hard enough. mine broke and I only weigh 165 lbs. ive heard of other people breaking them also. suggestions on buying a new one vary greatly , and cost is deffinately an issue. i bought a werner. straight shaft ,big blades, . correyvreken 230 length. boat width and your height , detemine length of paddle . the standard length of stock hobbie paddle 230 . so that is what i would stick with . most peole dont paddle the hobie alot for obvious reasons so i went with big blade , like the stock one. if you do paddle alot a thinner blade , like touring model would be wiser unless you are in very good shape. check their site . lots of paddle and info. i think i spent around 350. not cheap . hope this helps you. another thing that can help you is bring your stock paddle and match it to other paddles to get comparison. if you comfortable with shape and length then i would say stick with.
coxtanker421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:02 AM   #3
silverbullet
Crusty Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silverbullet
I lost my Hobie paddle in the surf the other night... not a big deal as I felt the same about it...

Back to the old paddle.. better anyway...

Bobby
silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:45 PM   #4
Kailolo

$350!!! I was hoping for some suggestion to avoid that! But they are now $250. Interesting that the Coreyvecken is a Touring not a Whitewater paddle as it has a 710 cm squared blade, greater than many of the Werner Whitewater blades.
Thanks very much for the post, as I may rethink purchase of a whitewater paddle which is generally no more than 196 cm, for a longer, big bladed touring paddle.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:55 PM   #5
MattRabasco

My Hobie paddle brole on the first stroke through the surf on a big day at the shores- stuck me in a bad situation real fast. Try the Aquabound paddles at REI. The carbon fiber manta ray is very nice!
Light and strong and a bargain at about 170. I love this paddle!
MattRabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:09 PM   #6
Drake

A carbon fiber bending branches slice is a great deal I think. I love mine, its really light, and has great thrust.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:45 PM   #7
Kailolo

Ordered a Corryvreken 220

Thanks cox, I ordered a Corryvrecken 220 cm for use with my Revo. Prices dropped way down on holiday sales. 710 cm blade should be great for needed power surges and braces in the surf.