Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-21-2017, 09:37 PM   #1
Bruntoj

Hobie sail

Anyone using the Hobie sail? I'm thinking of getting one for my PA14 but wondering how easy it is to assemble/stow whilst on the water? Will it stow in like a rod on the PA? Or is this a bad idea and it's better to keep it assembled and in place?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bruntoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 09:54 PM   #2
CrazzyGar

Hobie sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruntoj View Post
Anyone using the Hobie sail? I'm thinking of getting one for my PA14 but wondering how easy it is to assemble/stow whilst on the water? Will it stow in like a rod on the PA? Or is this a bad idea and it's better to keep it assembled and in place?

My buddy used his on his PA12. He liked it. But now he is buying a Boat.

I have one for sale if you are interested.

I used it on my Revo13. I like it... But need the Hobie AMA Outriggers. So I'm just going to sell my sail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by CrazzyGar; 08-22-2017 at 09:48 PM.
CrazzyGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:44 AM   #3
Bruntoj

I'm interested in how it stows for when I'm fishing. I can't imagine fighting a fish with the mast still up.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:35 PM   #4
CON KSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruntoj View Post
I'm interested in how it stows for when I'm fishing. I can't imagine fighting a fish with the mast still up.

I have one and used it this summer on my PA14.

It stows easily.

I used it to sale across from Coronado Cays to Pepper Park - pretty much a beam reach. Once I got across the bay I went head to wind and just pulled it up and rolled it up - no problem. I stowed it by lashing it to the side of the kayak with those bungey cords that you use to hold the sides onto a Costco carport. They're like a loop with a plastic ball. Super easy to lash it to the long equipment bar on the Hobie.

After I got done fishing I unfurled the sail and stuck it into the mast step and sailed a close reach back across the Bay.

It was fun sailing there and back. I bought my PA used and it came with the sail, I'm glad it did, the sail has added to the fun of the boat.

But you should know - the PA14 is a pig to sail and it doesn't go upwind very well. And - I held the mainsheet in my hand - it would be nice to mount some pulleys to run the mainsheet through instead of just holding it (I think I put a turn of the sheet around the H-rail to take some of the pressure off).

Also - I don't know what year PA you have but you'd really have to be on your game to sail it upwind without a centerboard (my PA has the swing down centerboard).

And - steering as you sail takes some getting used to - especially if you're used to sailing with a tiller.

All in all I'd say go for it. You can absolutely sail it somewhere and then easily take it down, furl it and fish.
CON KSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:08 PM   #5
Bruntoj

Thanks for the info. I had concerns that while taking the mast down I'd drop a piece overboard or fumble it in some way, but it sounds manageable.