Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-14-2017, 07:17 AM   #1
goldenglory18

Judging interest for a Los Angeles area adventure - Marina Del Rey Reef

All,

I'm looking to see who would be down to explore this 50 year old artificial reel off MDR and Venice Beach. At least 3.2 acres of structure to cover, and only 65' depth, this sounds like an awesome spot to find some inshore monsters. I figure at the least this area is holding some decent rocks/lings, and possibly if the conditions are right, some WSB's or Yellows.

Game and Fish Info

I figured we have two ways to get out there:

1) Paddle out from the MDR public boat ramp (green arrow). Longer in length (7.2 miles round trip) it should be an easy morning paddle with little to no boat traffic before 9am. If we time it correctly, we should be able to get out past the break wall in pretty quick time, spend plenty of time on the spot, then use the wind/current to help push us back to the break wall. If we need a break, we can hit the wall for some bass, then fish some of my favorite bass and halibut spots on the way back in using the wind as a drift. We would really need to plan this out correctly to make sure we have tidal support as MDR can be a PITA to paddle against the tidal currents.

2) Beach launch from the North jetty. This is a much shorter paddle (3.7 miles), but I'm not 100% sure about the parking situation. There is public parking (green call out) but I don't know if its a timed lot, and the only way to get the boats to the water is to walk the sidewalk. This also eliminates a lot of other fishy spots inside the Marina. Pro is we don't have to worry about the current nearly as much on this option.

The only thing I don't know is how pressured this area is by party boats and short day charters. I've never been on a short trip cattle boat, but I can only imagine these are the types of areas they hit.

I know there are "better" places to fish around SoCal, but I live really close to this area and have spent a lot of time exploring Venice, Santa Monica and the Marina. I'd love to get a chance to explore this area more from the water side. Let me know what you guys think and if there is interest, let's plan this out as soon as possible to take advantage of the bite that's been happening around the LA area...
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:40 AM   #2
cris

I'm interested and I live close by too. Happy to launch from either but I prefer the parking at the launch ramp. I think the lot by the breakwater is max 4 hours but I may be wrong.
cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:58 AM   #3
GTboosted

If you go in a few weeks, I'd be down to try it.

Gotta first exploit a closer spot that might be holding
Old 08-14-2017, 08:22 AM   #4
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cris View Post
I'm interested and I live close by too...I think the lot by the breakwater is max 4 hours but I may be wrong.
I think it might be as well. How close are you? I'm in WeHo so its not a huge undertaking to go verify, but its not the easiest drive either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTboosted View Post
If you go in a few weeks, I'd be down to try it.

Gotta first exploit a closer spot that might be holding
You know secrets don't make friends, right?
Old 08-14-2017, 08:32 AM   #5
cris

I live in DTLA but I'm going to try and head down for an after work session this week and I'll try and check out that lot./
cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:04 AM   #6
GTboosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
You know secrets don't make friends, right?
pm'd you
Old 08-14-2017, 09:23 AM   #7
tanman
Junior

I'm in Westchester, so Marina is perfect. Parking by the break is two hours. Any weekend day is good for me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:10 AM   #8
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cris View Post
I live in DTLA but I'm going to try and head down for an after work session this week and I'll try and check out that lot./
Completely off subject (kinda) but are you in a house or apt? If apt, are you in an older one with storage or a high rise?

I'd LOVE to move to a better building, possibly a high rise in DTLA, but I still haven't found a decent solution to store my boat. My building (60+yr old four plex) is needing updating pretty bad, but having space for my yak and most of my gear has been a real luxury.

Sorry, back on topic now..... LOL
Old 08-15-2017, 07:25 AM   #9
goldenglory18

Still looking for interested parties. Probably plan this for an early morning on a weekend, but would be open to a weekday too. I've got more PTO than I know what to do with....
Old 08-15-2017, 05:27 PM   #10
epotex
Junior

I'm available this weekend, I'm living right by mothers beach

Ready to launch from wherever is easier for you, I have a motor on my kayak so I'm less worried about the distance. The reefs sounds promising.
epotex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 05:42 AM   #11
PapaDave

I'd be interested, do you have a date in mind yet?
Old 08-16-2017, 06:11 AM   #12
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by epotex View Post
Ready to launch from wherever is easier for you, I have a motor on my kayak so I'm less worried about the distance. The reefs sounds promising.
It's looking more and more likely to be the public boat launch. I'm going to see if there is any way to park reasonably close and avoid paying the $15 parking fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDave View Post
I'd be interested, do you have a date in mind yet?
Sounds like a future weekend day is going to be the most supported. I'm available weekends and every other Friday (8/25, 9/8, etc) but have enough PTO to take weekdays off whenever I really want.

How does the weekend before Labor Day work for everyone? That's 8/26 - 27...
Old 08-16-2017, 08:50 AM   #13
Druko

Quote:
It's looking more and more likely to be the public boat launch. I'm going to see if there is any way to park reasonably close and avoid paying the $15 parking fee.

Sounds like a future weekend day is going to be the most supported. I'm available weekends and every other Friday (8/25, 9/8, etc) but have enough PTO to take weekdays off whenever I really want.

Sounds like a fun excursion. I was planning on fishing La Jolla one day this weekend. I could be up for joining you guys. I also got some good intel on a halibut spot that's putting out lots of fish recently but it's about a 3-4 mile paddle in the other direction.

Last edited by Druko; 08-16-2017 at 09:11 AM.
Druko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:12 AM   #14
epotex
Junior

Quote:
Those dates work for me, I'm currently flaxable so whatever date that will work for the rest is good for me.
BTW, for the next month or so I can do weekdays too..
epotex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:26 PM   #15
Snags

Hey all.
I'd be interested in joining you but unfortunately I'll be working every day starting this weekend until mid September so will have to check it out again another time. By the way, I found the reef about 65-75' deep around 2 miles off Venice pier. It's scattered.
Good luck.
Steve
Snags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:19 AM   #16
PapaDave

Those dates work for me. Would even be able to do the 25th if that comes up.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:38 AM   #17
goldenglory18

More info to come, but I might have to postpone this trip into late Sept.

I just found out my house in AZ is going to sell and inevitably I'll need to travel to make sure the deal gets closed on-time.

Thanks again to everyone that has expressed interest. Well get out there soon!

- Kenny