Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2008, 11:01 AM   #1
bigscott

Question Should I get a Kayak?

I am looking for help. I would like something small to get on the water and fish with. We would be talking ponds and lakes, mostly in Oklahoma and Colorado.
I have been looking at the Hobie OutbackMirage. However, I am a large guy at 6'4" 350lbs. Canoes are extremely unstable with me because most of my weight is upper body. Will I have room to pedal the Mirage drive? My Legs are relative short for someone 6'4". The stability is a concern because I will be fishing in some cold water at times. I have also looked at Native brand kayaks. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Last edited by bigscott; 08-12-2008 at 07:47 PM.
bigscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:41 PM   #2
dorf

I am 6'3" @ 230 lbs. I have the Outback and have plenty of room and the stability is great. I have been on with my wife 120 lbs and my son 80 lbs. Thats 430 pounds in San Diego Harbor. It was kind of cramped and didn't move so well but we stayed afloat. That was a one time thing.
I regularly take my 8 year old and 7 year old boys out and the 3 of us fish just fine from it with a combined weight about 320. I have 2 and will buy a couple more when my boys are older.
If you get a chance to test ride one do it.
Either way good luck and welcome to the fun house.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:24 PM   #3
Handymansd
Ancient Member

I would advise you to test peddle one before buying. I am 6'4" but only 210# with really long legs. I own an outback and a Cobra Fish and Dive. I really like the bigger more stable kayaks. I love my Outback and I think it is the second most stable kayak with the Ocean Kayak's Big Game and the x-factor both being right after in third. The Fish and Dive's carrying capacity is far more than any other kayak on the market (600+ lbs I think), but you pay for it in speed and maneuverability. I can almost swan dive off the FND , I fall in, but the kayak does not roll! The Outback is very stable and is surprisingly fast and maneuverable with the mirage drive system. The best combination of mobility and stability IMO on the market today. The down side is it's expense. There are many kinds of kayaks out there and the salesmen will all tell you that there brand is the best......ignore most of what the salesmen say and rely on your own thoughts as to how the kayak feels for you, and your own comfort level.

In the end though, it really is something that you will have to use and enjoy so go out and see if the local dealer can get you out on a test peddle/ paddle before buying any yak!

Good Luck!
Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:52 PM   #4
THE DARKHORSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handymansd View Post
I would advise you to test peddle one before buying. I am 6'4" but only 210# with really long legs. I own an outback and a Cobra Fish and Dive. I really like the bigger more stable kayaks. I love my Outback and I think it is the second most stable kayak with the Ocean Kayak's Big Game and the x-factor both being right after in third. The Fish and Dive's carrying capacity is far more than any other kayak on the market (600+ lbs I think), but you pay for it in speed and maneuverability. I can almost swan dive off the FND , I fall in, but the kayak does not roll! The Outback is very stable and is surprisingly fast and maneuverable with the mirage drive system. The best combination of mobility and stability IMO on the market today. The down side is it's expense. There are many kinds of kayaks out there and the salesmen will all tell you that there brand is the best......ignore most of what the salesmen say and rely on your own thoughts as to how the kayak feels for you, and your own comfort level.

In the end though, it really is something that you will have to use and enjoy so go out and see if the local dealer can get you out on a test peddle/ paddle before buying any yak!

Good Luck!

Ding, ding, ding, winna chicken dinna .

Go test drive different kayaks, and the one for you will sell itself (one more vote for the Hobie Outback though).

Remember, nothing is free, this advice will cost you pictures of bluegills, bass, and catfish. When you get the new ride, I wanna see some pictures of sinking bobbers and a full stringer .
Old 08-12-2008, 05:22 PM   #5
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Hobie's New Kayak

Hobie has a new boat coming out soon. It is optimized for fishing in flat waters. I have seen it. It is much larger and more stable than the current crop. This yak would probably not be the best choice for those of us who launch in the surf but for lakes, it might be just the ticket.

You should check with your local Hobie dealer.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:47 PM   #6
bigscott

Thanks for the info!!!

Wow, four replies in the same day. I will start tomorrow tracking down dealers and a test rides. I probably should not have read this right before going to bed, won't be able to get to sleep. Thanks for your help and any more advice will be appreciated.
bigscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:20 PM   #7
sdcityboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DARKHORSE View Post
Ding, ding, ding, winna chicken dinna .
lollollollollol
Old 08-12-2008, 11:37 PM   #8
dimsum
Junior

Southwind Kayak in Newport is having a demo day this Saturday 16th from 6am to 12 noon. They have Hobie, Wilderness System, and I think Ocean or Malibu. Test paddle any kayak for free.
dimsum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:26 AM   #9
Billy V

One more vote for the Outback.

I've seen lots of big guys use that boat.

....Hell I want one myself, its a great all around kayak.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote