Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2008, 04:19 PM   #1
Adam

Portable Fish Finder / GPS Combo

Hello all,

I have been resisting any electronics on my kayak, but I am breaking down. I will stick with my bait tube, but I want a fish finder / GPS. I want to keep this as simple as possible so I am leaning towards a "portable unit" (one that has the battery in it). I have a Hobie Outback and in my dream I would just latch the unit onto a "Ram Wedge Mount", run the transducer through my hatch and be on my way. However, I realize nothing is that simple.

If you have any experience with this type of unit (or have one to sell) I greatly appreciate your input regarding the type of unit and how I might mount it - minimizing holes and wires.

Thanks, Adam
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:01 PM   #2
THE DARKHORSE

Portable isn't the problem.....

Finding the unit you want is the problem. I know of a Humminbird unit that takes AAA'S, but not aware of a combo unit. I've been anti-instal for years, but for different reasons. Once upon a time, it was because I was using an expensive unit. Now, it's because I'm bouncing around between different Hobie models, I love them all. My best advice is simply buy the unit you like/love, and spare no expense. Go West Marine, and get the extended warranty, it's awesome.

The Hobie is perfect for a non permanent method. Use the sail mount hole to put a pvc that's a close fit, and just run some tape around it until it's a perfect fit. Instead of gooping the transducer, I gooped a round plastic piece just below my center hatch. I put an inch of water in and never have to worry about bubbles, damaging the transducer, or any corrosion to the terminals over time. I keep the $800 unit with the battery in a dry bag in the front hatch, and remove back at the launch. I never take three to the chest with my unit exposed, and simply put everything back in the bag outside the surf. Others will disagree, as a permanent instal is more simple, and "no daily set up", but I like this method to protect the unit.

I don't have the #'s of parts off hand, but after you buy the unit and have any questions, just send me a p.m., it's easy.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:42 AM   #3
Montesdad
Grey Haired Senior Member

I do the same basic thing with the whole unit removable -
also use a water bath that I made 'tween the mast post
and the drive well and c-clamp the transducer to the inside mast post

Don't use the tub anymore - I attach the bag to the mast post - all goes inside when coming or going from surf and it takes a minute to set it all up.

Last edited by Montesdad; 08-19-2008 at 05:49 PM.
Montesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:10 PM   #4
Billy V

I don't think you will be happy with the portable Hummingbird strapped to the yak. A more secure mount like PVC in the Sail Mast, or a $25 Ram Mount would serve you better (lots of maneuverability options).

-If its not having wires drilled trough the hull that you are after consider mounting a PiranhaMax 215 ($89) this way:

On the Adventure there is a T-Cleat in the forward section of the well. If you remove the T-Cleat you can drill a small hole behind it that will allow you to pass the FF wires through. When you don't want wires showing through your Yak, just slide them back into the hole and re-install the T-cleat.
-This unit runs for several outings on 8 AA rechargeable batteries that I have in a $6 dry box from Walmart, that is Velcro to the inside of the hull.

Additionally, I always use a 1 qt. freezer bag over my FF and use a rubber band to hold it on. It completely covers the unit and wires. I have taken big waves to the chest while launching and the FF remained dry and still works perfectly. (Still get the West Marine Warranty though)
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:24 AM   #5
Sherm

Just my opinion.... but portable self contained units don't seem to last long. I finally broke down a while back and spent the money on a good fish finder. Color digital display and everything. It's got permanent mounts and I have not taken it off the yak in a couple of years. The finder still works awesome and I have had no problems. Just clean it every once in a while.

I can't get a baggie over mine very easily. However, it's a good unit and I have submerged it a few times and have not had any problems. Took the first wave all the way over my head a couple weekends ago and the finder worked great.

Last edited by Sherm; 08-20-2008 at 08:38 AM.
Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:54 AM   #6
Adam

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH FOR YOUR VALUABLE INPUT!!
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote