Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 08-19-2008, 12:34 PM   #41
Zed
BANNED

Meh. It's just fishing. Regrets keep you coming back --wrong lure, wrong heading, wrong line class .

My largest yak reel (inshore/offshore) is a tld20 w/300 of 40 (maybe the BajaSpecial is stronger, but I don't always bring that). The lever is useful. Usu that is a cd14 or cd18 troller or maybe a dropper, but it's with me. I'd like to see a tld explode in my hands. (Take that Murphy!)

I've seen the stickboats outta Dana working out in that area off the point for sure. Rather fool a yft for my time spent, though.
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 02:21 PM   #42
Billy V

Keep a Mirage Drive repair kit and tools aboard just incase something backs out or breaks.

There's one in the 08 catalogue.

Do Kayaks qualify for Vessel Assist policies ?
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:01 PM   #43
THE DARKHORSE

I hear ya Troy...

As I tend to giggle at the "over-prepared", if there is such a thing. I've never had a TLD explode, but I've heard of it happening (graphite frame). Then I see guys like Blue Water Jon, who have caught a number of Marlin from a kayak, and prefer the light weight of the TLD's. He has also brought up the argument of never needing to put more than 18 lbs of drag, while on a fish from a kayak. Although, I think he is now fishing with a Torsa, maybe lesson learned, who knows? .

Billy: As far as Vessel Assist, I thought about that. The idea of simply calling them twice a week to tell them something broke (rudder cable, pin, something), and I need a 40 mile ride in, would easily be worth the price of admission lol. Although, I think your vessel needs to be registered, and the plastic fleet won't qualify.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:26 PM   #44
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DARKHORSE View Post
First the Epirb, then the helmet cam, priorities. I spoke with a friend yesterday about my trip, and he kept saying, "dude, you need a camera". I agree, but in both cases with the jumpers, it was a "get the hell out of the way situation", seriously. Especially with the Swordfish, a truly frightening experience, amazingly beautiful, but an amazing display of power as well (shaking hands, heart in your throat stuff). The idea of pulling the digi out of your pocket, and having to focus according to distance, is really hoping. We all know this from trying to get good whale shots. Whales are huge, and pretty slow, but challenging to photograph, even though they surface over and over, in a predictable direction. If I had my camera ready in hand (on burst mode) I could of got some amazing shots. Especially on the last jumps coming straight for me, as I wouldn't have even had to focus the camera, crazy.

The helmet cam is the only way to go, to capture these rare opportunities. Especially if you consider the amount of work that goes into these trips. I'm out here to catch these fish, and taking a photo is way back on my list of priorities. It's only when you get home, and didn't have a true shot anyway, that you start thinking "man, if I only got some photos".
Some options:

HelmetCamera.com

Video
Kayak Surfing
Body Boarding

Oregon Scientific

video
Rollercoaster

VioPOV

Video
BASE Jumping
MTB Downhill

Sportzshot
Old 08-19-2008, 04:55 PM   #45
gary sullivan

Josh, I've been reading with amusement your adventures on the high seas. I can only imagine what PB's out 10-20 miles must be thinking when they come across you in a little plastic boat looking for fish to catch. You are definitely one of the pioneers in extending this sport into the offshore realm. I don't want to read of local kayak fisherman Josh Pruitt lost at sea, so be smart and be safe and best of luck to you.
gary sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:18 PM   #46
THE DARKHORSE

Don't worry Gary.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary sullivan View Post
Josh, I've been reading with amusement your adventures on the high seas. I can only imagine what PB's out 10-20 miles must be thinking when they come across you in a little plastic boat looking for fish to catch. You are definitely one of the pioneers in extending this sport into the offshore realm. I don't want to read of local kayak fisherman Josh Pruitt lost at sea, so be smart and be safe and best of luck to you.
I appreciate your' concern, but what the Pruitt family lacks in intelligence, we make up for in mental strength. My grandfather was in the Navy during WW2, and was lost at sea for six days. Wearing a PFD, but no life raft, food, or water. Somehow he was found, and survived to tell the tale' (true story). I didn't realize the signifigance of this until I was much older, having spent my share of time at sea.

The moral of the story is : If it's in the paper on monday "kayaker lost at sea", wait till the paper comes out on friday "man found swimming with a YFT on a gameclip".
Old 08-19-2008, 07:29 PM   #47
Billy V

I'm sure if you were to go missing there would be plenty of us maniacs that would come looking for you.

FisH On Dude
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 04:24 AM   #48
Zed
BANNED

And of course we'd have to slide up with a bait out once we found you bobbing w/ the other flotsam. You gotta be holding, by that time.
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:19 AM   #49
blackcloud9
Kayaker

^^^^ Zed you are killing me! LOL

Great job pushing the limits Josh. At least you've saved yourself from the
regret of not trying.

These fish are like a moving needle in a haystack. You're an unfettered
optimist with enviable spirit.

Obviously, timely info on where the fish are is a start. Perhaps a call to
976-BITE (think Sponsorship) to get you a phone call at the very
moment something happens nearby would help immensely.

I'd imagine that would be good publicity if they could get a kayaker on one
of those local YFT. And, hopefully this opportunity will last into September ....

Last edited by blackcloud9; 08-20-2008 at 09:41 AM.
blackcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:44 AM   #50
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Exclamation BS

I have heard enough!

The possibility of tragedy is closer than you think, if you don't quit worrying about Epirbs, and Cameras, and glory, and get yourself equipped with the proper basic safety gear and common sense! I went out with you and quite frankly you are going to get yourself or more likely someone else hurt or worse! You showed up very late, with no thought to your safety or that of your "wingman". I listened to you berate me, my kayak, my bait tank, my gear, my poles, my reels, and even my VHF! (you don't even have a F'n radio, gps, compass...!) You can't figure out how to use your GPS/FF, and constantly had to ask where we were?!? You have no experience in the area that you led us, thus leading us through numerous heavy kelp areas in the dark,and clueless to our depth or location. You have a P.O.S. PFD that won't float a sardine and you keep it stowed inside your yak (it will help you there).... no bilge pump, no radio... and no common sense to stay in contact with your wingman! You never leave your partner, especially if they are having problems! Idiot! And you want to be a guide?!?! Are you kidding me?

Josh, congradulations on being a great fisherman! I mean that.

But be careful about luring in others that do not know any better than to trust you and your judgement and getting them hurt. Be reckless by yourself! Catching fish is one thing, but leading someone else into your reckless abandon is another. Offshore fishing can be done in a kayak, and in a safe way! I went Solo to the N nine yesterday for a great day, I am sore in ways I did not know your butt could hurt but after initial disappointment with a 24-26" bonie (thought it was a tuna), I now have my first YFT on a kayak. A story for later... The point is, it was done safely and in a responsible manner! You really need to learn that side of kayak fishing before you can talk down to those around you. Use your head...posting on these boards about stripped marlin 2.1 miles off the point (that is where you said you spotted your marlin) with the result of getting unprepared kayakers out there is just plain stupid!

Especially, when I was with you, 150 yards away, and no signs of Marlin, or bait, or any fish, of any kind, at that point in time. I'm tired or hearing your "fish" stories. I don't belive you. The fact that you have hugely exagerated our trip Sun mornig pisses me off! It was a great time and alot of fun... once you paddled off. I cannot attest to anything after you left. But you do not have to have a fairly tale fish to have fun out there. Sorry for busting your bubble, but enough is enough!

Screw your head on straight before you get someone besides yourself hurt out there.
Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:17 AM   #51
kurt

I wanna hear about the YFT!
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:34 AM   #52
LocoKayako

Quote:
I wanna hear about the YFT!
Me TOO,TWO, TO,TAMBIEN!!!!!
Old 08-20-2008, 10:50 AM   #53
madscientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handymansd View Post
I have heard enough!
At least you weren't accused of trying to snag WSB in the ass with treble hooks or of winning tournaments with frozen fish.

Congrats on the tuna. That's very cool.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:59 AM   #54
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Please tell us more about the yft Chuck .

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:16 AM   #55
blackcloud9
Kayaker

HandYFTmanSD, do share!
blackcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:24 AM   #56
THE DARKHORSE

Oh boy, where do I start?

Hardcore Chuck lollollollollollollollol

The guy who told me he was sooooooooooo hardcore, and I couldn't go over 1.75 miles an hour without ever losing you, and headed for the barn by 8:00 a.m. (one morelol). You are a joke.
Everytime I turned around you were "DRIFTING" out of sight (everytime). It was pretty funny though, watching your bow barely above the water line, packed full of ice and crap, good thinking. Was this what first pissed you off, when I reccomended you maybe move the weight to the back? I was very nice about this, constantly waiting for you, constantly. I remember telling you "maybe this is a hidden blessing, since the possibility of passing the golden paddy in the dark". This was my attempt to stay positive, and make you feel better about being a 200lb anchor attached to me.

Listening to you tell me the bait is fine, when I can hear it freaking out in your tank with a timer. My tank with four times the flow, and you get pissed when I ask to put them in mine. You telling me : "I've never had problems with the kayatank", well now you have. Begging you every 15 minutes to please just check on them, and you getting pissed everytime, pretty funny. As a wingman, I thought we had the same goal: Do everything we could to make it to "the zone" with as much lively bait as possible. You on the other hand let your' tank fill up with dead rolled bait, with the pump turning off and on, good job. when I finally came up to you to save the remaining bait, I was horrafied when I looked in your tank. I don't know if you just like to be cruel to little fish, or were just trying to sabotage the trip, but pretty funny if it wasn't on purpose, good job.

Like any trip, I don't use the sonar/GPS combo unit when navigating the bay or going to the pier, sorry if you feel the need. Pretty easy to just hug the shorline, just like we did. It wasn't exactly pea soup fog, more like a beautiful clear night, with the brightest full moon I ever saw. I was clear to tell you that I wasn't familiar with the point from a kayak, and crossing it in the dark was going to be a challenge. I didn't see the point in both of us using the sonar while crossing a mat of kelp, boy that's risky. I only asked you the depth, so we could maybe pick up the pace if outside the kelp, and never asking our position. Why would I need our position if Point Loma is clearly right behind us (it's HUGE) ? My plan for the trip was to save the battery in case I had to Come back in the dark, I don't need to watch kelp, I'm not that easily ammused (safety first). I realized we got real lucky, as I had to cross the surface kelp with the paddle, and couldn't use the mirage drive on the way in. So save that track, as it's the best one, dumb luck I guess.

As it approached 5 a.m. it became clear we were going to be no where near the nine by sun up. Again, I keep circling back again and again, seeing what I can do to help you. Then I find out you are dragging jigs in the dark, pretty smart lol. I can't believe as a wingman who is always way behind, it seemed a good idea to "hay I'm gonna troll multiple jigs in the dark", seriously dude.

Did it hurt your feelings when I told you days prior that the Tuna were hitting tiny jigs, not your giant Rapala Magnum? Did it bother you when I told you "all you are going to catch was sharks with that"? Sounds like pretty sound advice to me, but hey your super smart, atleast that's what you told me. By the way, what did you catch, smart guy?

My 56 year old wingman from last week never left my side. We kept a safe distance to simply not cross lines, without me having to say a thing. We did everthing we could to save bait, and quit feeding the sharks. I don't know if you caught that, but they weren't the target species? Anyone looking for an awesome wingman, give Smokey a call, the guy is hardcore, never cried, and couldn't be more safe.

I have no idea what you are talking about in reference to me talking crap about your gear. You have a set of Seeker black steele rods and 5 Avets, sounds good to me.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if you couldn't see a Marlin jumping, not in the least. You were no where near me when that happened (MORE LIES). I started screaming at you minutes later as you were coming into screaming range (still far off, so don't lie), as I would like to be warned of such a sighting. I've caught plenty of Marlin, and am a good judge of size, and know how to catch them. Which is why I didn't put a bait in the water with the light Tuna line. This is when I finally turned on the sonar/GPS combo unit, and marked the spot, as I didn't see a need one second sooner. Not to mention this is my fourth sonar/GPS combo unit, and they are simple to use by the way (more lies). By the way Chuck, quite a few Marlin are taken from that area, so "don't try to act like you have any idea what you are talking about" (ask around). My favorite quote from you was: "well you should be hooked up by now, if you saw a marlin".lol I'm gonna write that one down, and tell it to every salty captain I see, good one, smart guy.

As far as the PFD, I have what is legally required by law, and have a bad habit of being very comfortable in a kayak without wearing one, sorry. I surf 6 hour sessions with no problem and would never have a problem swimming a couple of miles, never saw the need fishing within eye-sight of the kelp in La Jolla, sorry. I would never tell anyone a PFD isn't a good idea, and would reccomend they wear it at all times, so again you lost me on the safe issue.

Yes, I've been looking at Epirbs, VHF with internal GPs, everyday as a matter of fact, and didn't want to rush into a cheapy radio, sorry. I would prefer to buy the best, and have piece of mind for trips like this in the future. The part of me not being safe is pretty funny though, as I've never gone inshore/offshore without a wingman with a radio, and a bilge-pump. You assured me you had tons of lights, and we had multiple headlights and a giant spotlight each. Yet by 8:00 a.m a few miles off the point, you said "this isn't safe", I'm outa here.

I would love to see your gps track from your' solo trip to the 9 mile bank, fourteen miles out, since you never went over 1.7 miles an hour, and never made it past a few miles last time, and brilliant idea going solo, REAL SAFE. One morelol

THE ONLY THING I DID THAT WASN'T SAFE WAS TO BRING THE WORST WINGMAN IN THE WORLD. HARDCORE CHUCK

Last edited by THE DARKHORSE; 08-21-2008 at 10:25 AM.
THE DARKHORSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:51 PM   #57
Dan

Congrats on the YFT Chuck!!
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:53 PM   #58
Corey

Old 08-20-2008, 01:36 PM   #59
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

Start by removing the sod and storing it on a plastic tarp. Then, rough out the tree hole with a pointed shovel.

Next lay a shovel or rake handle across the entire hole and measure down from it to get an accurate depth measurement. once deep enough to bury your arrogance climb in and begin to think things over,

add enough water to drown, and see what blossums...

yft you say, nice
Attached Images

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 01:40 PM   #60
reddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
lollollollollollollol
reddog is offline   Reply With Quote